Jul 10 2013
By: Miharu_Tansho Hekseville Citizen 248 posts

Why I would do what Joel did... *spoilers*

5 replies 409 views Edited Jul 10, 2013

All emotion aside... (Hard to do, children are always worth fighting for.)

I wouldn't let the Fireflies have Ellie either.  There's serious doubt about if they would be able to create the vaccine after chopping her up, and if they did  manage to make a vaccine that was effective, the means of production and distribution would have been hashed 20 years after the epidemic began.  They would at best be able to make small batches and only for their people; hardly a cure for humanity.  And it still wouldn't save people from the biggest killers:   hunger, disease, exposure, and each other.

Society would still be smashed back centuries.  The game never really gave solid numbers on the mortality of the fungus funk within the first several years, but my guess would be 90%+.  No more effective transportation, medicine, electricity, communication, manufacturing, etc...  The people still using that technology are existing on borrowed time.  After twenty years when things break down, generators go out, etc... parts and replacements are used up or rotted away and no more are coming out of the factories.  The knowledge to replace these things for the most part would be long gone too.

And the epidemic would largely have sputtered out.  I was surprised by the number of infected in the game after pondering the 20 year time frame.  The vector of transmission is human beings and the disease was successful enough that I think it would have largely burned itself out via the extreme mortality.  People spread out far enough and having learned to avoid areas like closed houses, sewers and other places where the spores seem to persist would minimize if not eliminate the larger threat of that.

To summarize:  The vaccine idea is tenable at best, wouldn't do anything to effectively rebuild the society that existed, and the disease wouldn't be the biggest concern at that point.  Not worth one kid to me, especially one that I've started to view as "adopted".  Finding a safe haven for her to live in a landscape that would have reverted to fiefdoms, scattered agrarian settlements and warlords would be my priority.

Just my thoughts.

Message 1 of 6 (409 Views)
Wastelander
671 posts

Re: Why I would do what Joel did... *spoilers*

Jul 10, 2013

Miharu_Tansho wrote:

All emotion aside... (Hard to do, children are always worth fighting for.)

I wouldn't let the Fireflies have Ellie either.  There's serious doubt about if they would be able to create the vaccine after chopping her up, and if they did  manage to make a vaccine that was effective, the means of production and distribution would have been hashed 20 years after the epidemic began.  They would at best be able to make small batches and only for their people; hardly a cure for humanity.  And it still wouldn't save people from the biggest killers:   hunger, disease, exposure, and each other.

Society would still be smashed back centuries.  The game never really gave solid numbers on the mortality of the fungus funk within the first several years, but my guess would be 90%+.  No more effective transportation, medicine, electricity, communication, manufacturing, etc...  The people still using that technology are existing on borrowed time.  After twenty years when things break down, generators go out, etc... parts and replacements are used up or rotted away and no more are coming out of the factories.  The knowledge to replace these things for the most part would be long gone too.

And the epidemic would largely have sputtered out.  I was surprised by the number of infected in the game after pondering the 20 year time frame.  The vector of transmission is human beings and the disease was successful enough that I think it would have largely burned itself out via the extreme mortality.  People spread out far enough and having learned to avoid areas like closed houses, sewers and other places where the spores seem to persist would minimize if not eliminate the larger threat of that.

To summarize:  The vaccine idea is tenable at best, wouldn't do anything to effectively rebuild the society that existed, and the disease wouldn't be the biggest concern at that point.  Not worth one kid to me, especially one that I've started to view as "adopted".  Finding a safe haven for her to live in a landscape that would have reverted to fiefdoms, scattered agrarian settlements and warlords would be my priority.

Just my thoughts.

Agree with you. I wouldn't have gave Ellie to the Fireflies either. If Joel hadn't have been knocked out, he wouldn't have let Ellie even get prepped for surgery. I also strongly believe Ellie wouldn't have wanted to be killed for the "cure" either. Some people say she was meant to die with what she said, but when faced with that choice, I doubt she would have went through with it. She was waiting to turn, not be euthanized.

Message 2 of 6 (375 Views)
Lombax Warrior
91 posts

Jul 10, 2013
I would also have done as Joel did, for the reasons you stated above, and because I generally hate the Fireflies and their cause. Humanity will never return to its former glory after such a pandemic. The only thing the Fireflies do is wage a pointless war that does nothing but waste lives and supplies.
Message 3 of 6 (346 Views)
Splicer
73 posts

Jul 10, 2013
Personally I wouldn't have done what Joel would have done. Yes I would have rescued her but I would have waited for her to wake up and ask if she wanted to do it. Joel also took out her choice in whether she wanted to have the surgery or not.
Message 4 of 6 (261 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
41 posts

Jul 10, 2013

I was totally on board with Joel. I personally don't think Ellie should be given a choice because she's a just a kid and can't fully graps that it most likely would not have been much of a cure at all. They would give it to other fiefly members which would simply increase their chances of survival and nothing more. Perhaps if they could manufacture a large cure for it I doubt they would just hand it over to anyone who asks. They would just use it to strengthen their own organization. hardly worth giving up Ellie for.

Message 5 of 6 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Last Guardian
11297 posts

Jul 10, 2013

I just found out that the Fireflies did find immune people but the vaccine did  not work.

So yeah, i'd save Ellie too.

Message 6 of 6 (166 Views)
0 Likes