Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

Re: Why The Last Of Us was disappointing? (not a rant)

Feb 3, 2014
The Ai flanks me too... Try replaying Boston... The guys there try hard to get ya.
Message 91 of 125 (226 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
310 posts

Feb 3, 2014

SwisherSweetx wrote:

no1_narwhal_fan wrote:

SwisherSweetx wrote:

no1_narwhal_fan wrote:

YoungBeard wrote:

conquerator3 wrote:
I find it sad that people spend so much complaining rather than enjoying a brilliant game xP

Yup. Nitpicking at it's finest Smiley Wink

Nitpicking is exactly the word. What I've found with many of the people who criticise the game is that they will pick up on one or two minor issues and say "this is the reason the game is rubbish". Now, I'm not a fanboy to the extent that I think it is perfect and beyond criticism but the thing about TLoU that a lot of the "haters" miss is that (as with most ND games) the whole is very much greater then the sum of its parts. It's the whole experience that's important and I find it amazing that some people will find their enjoyment of the game spoiled because "the stealth mechanics arn't perfect" or "parts of it were linier" ect. Why focus on the negative when the positive far, far outweighs it?

I don't think anybody is saying that TLoU was a bad game. The overall opinion is that it was actually pretty good and I think most people would agree with that.

The thing that irritates some people though (and rightly so) is the fact ND blatantly misled consumers about certain aspects of the game. They made several E3 demo's which showcased off a level of AI and numerous gameplay elements (such as disarming enemies) that never made it into the end product. Even after the game was already completed and was just waiting for launch, ND still went out of their way to tell possible buyers that the game would be even better then the various demo's they created over TLoU development cycle.

As I said before, if any other business did this kind of unethical business practice, they would be sued or fined in some manner for false advertising. Yet for whatever reason...the game industry as a whole seems to be immune to prosecution for violating these kind of consumer protections.

ND is the not the biggest perpetrator of such deceitful practices but, it does reflect a growing trend in gaming as a whole. No matter how good TLoU was (and it was pretty good), it doesn't excuse all of the deceit and dishonesty. I don't even really know why ND put themselves out on a limb like that, the game was more then good enough to get people excited without having to tell all the lies and bs press releases.

Well OK lets look at that issue from a slightly different angle then. Have you considered the possibility that perhaps ND may have had some very good reasons for leaving out those gameplay & AI elements in the final product? That maybe after further play testing they decided that those gameplay elements just didn't work for whatever reason or that the gameplay was more balanced without them? I'm not saying this is definitely the case but suggesting it as a possibility.

Then ND shouldn't have gone around actively telling people "Hey remember all those E3 demos we showed off? Well the game plays even better then that and even has more stuff now!". Mind you this was after the game had already been developed and was just waiting for launch.

Oh you dam ND fanboy's...always arguing in circular logic that makes no sense. They lied to people in order to increase their sales. Yes the game was still pretty good but, it doesn't exscuse all the bs they threw around before release.

Lol, arn't we all fanboys on here? Seriously though I do love the game but I'm not a fanboy to the extent you're implying. Like I said before I don't think the game (or ND) is perfect or beyond criticism but I don't see much point in carping about minor things when I enjoyed the game so much overall. What makes no sense to me though is the fact that the game had enough hype as it was and would have sold well anyway. It didn't need all the bs (as you put it).

Message 92 of 125 (204 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Feb 3, 2014
My major gripe about the game was that it couldn't enable situations where you had to deal with infected and survivors at the same time. They say the stealth mechanics made it impossible to implement but I know ND are capable of it if other (lesser) games could do it. I certainly hope all that changes in the story DLC....
Message 93 of 125 (201 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
269 posts

Feb 4, 2014

i-PEWPEW-U-QQ wrote:
My major gripe about the game was that it couldn't enable situations where you had to deal with infected and survivors at the same time. They say the stealth mechanics made it impossible to implement but I know ND are capable of it if other (lesser) games could do it. I certainly hope all that changes in the story DLC....

Supposedly the SP dlc will contain 3 way battles between yourself, infected, and enemy humans. You make a good point though...I have no idea why they didn't put this into the regular SP story; it would've worked so well

Message 94 of 125 (183 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Feb 4, 2014

SwisherSweetx wrote:

i-PEWPEW-U-QQ wrote:

Supposedly the SP dlc will contain 3 way battles between yourself, infected, and enemy humans. You make a good point though...I have no idea why they didn't put this into the regular SP story; it would've worked so well

See thats just the thing, it would be cool if it were in the main game because I read this...

The Last Of Us DLC, Left Behind, will focus more on exploration rather than combat but will include multi-faction fights where Ellie and Reilly use distractions to lure Clickers into attacking human enemies. The info comes from an interview with Naughty Dog.

So there giving us multi factioned fights but taking away our weapons so we can't effectively participate in that fight, ugh really?

I feel like ND are giving me a big middle finger with this. This is why I want ND to put infected in the last MP DLC so this game can actually reach it's potential. 

I understand this community feels very strongly about this game and for good reason but I just find it so frustrating that "technical limitations" ahem prevent the gameplay from achieving greatness. I want to escape from a stronghold where I was held hostage by survivors during an infected attack. Could you imagine trying to hide from the guards in a wherehouse with clickers when a guard throws a bottle and it smashes right next to you? Forcing you out in the open with clickers closing in under gun fire? 

If ND could put infected v survivors v us in the DLC then what has changed since making the original game and now that enabled them to do so? Why couldn't/wouldn't ND do this in the main game where it could actually do us some good since were armed? 

Message 95 of 125 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

Feb 4, 2014
I'd expect that in the sequel. Tech limits is a valid reason. It's still a profit deal... Adding demanding stuff post launch doesn't bring in as much revenue as a base game purchase... So the sequel.
Message 96 of 125 (169 Views)
First Son
8 posts

Feb 4, 2014
We'll see what they will try and pull but ND has had too many **bleep** moments for me to trust them. Besides, when do you think TLOU2 is coming out... 2017 or something? No thanks, I will be enjoying Dying Light.
Message 97 of 125 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
310 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 4, 2014

i-PEWPEW-U-QQ wrote:

SwisherSweetx wrote:

i-PEWPEW-U-QQ wrote:

See thats just the thing, it would be cool if it were in the main game because I read this...

The Last Of Us DLC, Left Behind, will focus more on exploration rather than combat but will include multi-faction fights where Ellie and Reilly use distractions to lure Clickers into attacking human enemies. The info comes from an interview with Naughty Dog.

So there giving us multi factioned fights but taking away our weapons so we can't effectively participate in that fight, ugh really?

I feel like ND are giving me a big middle finger with this. This is why I want ND to put infected in the last MP DLC so this game can actually reach it's potential. 

I understand this community feels very strongly about this game and for good reason but I just find it so frustrating that "technical limitations" ahem prevent the gameplay from achieving greatness. I want to escape from a stronghold where I was held hostage by survivors during an infected attack. Could you imagine trying to hide from the guards in a wherehouse with clickers when a guard throws a bottle and it smashes right next to you? Forcing you out in the open with clickers closing in under gun fire? 

If ND could put infected v survivors v us in the DLC then what has changed since making the original game and now that enabled them to do so? Why couldn't/wouldn't ND do this in the main game where it could actually do us some good since were armed? 

It's probably to do with Ellie being the main protagonist this time. Joel was a big tough mofo so it made sense that in the original game the gameplay put him in situations where he would use his combat skills. On the other hand it wouldn't be realistic if Ellie and her friend went around beating the hell out of armed soldiers and the infected in the DLC. She is smart though so again it would make sense that she would use her brains rather then brawn to progress past dangerous situations.

Message 98 of 125 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Feb 4, 2014

i-PEWPEW-U-QQ wrote:
We'll see what they will try and pull but ND has had too many **bleep** moments for me to trust them. Besides, when do you think TLOU2 is coming out... 2017 or something? No thanks, I will be enjoying Dying Light.

Sure, go ahead. No one was stopping you.....

young beard signature
Message 99 of 125 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
432 posts

Feb 5, 2014

I think the most unpopular opinion I have is that TLOU is a very overted game. I enjoyed it, but it did not give me a fantastic experience that so many people said, and it didn't deserve the critical acclaim. The campaign is dececnt at best, and without the multiplayer this game really would not be much. What does save IS the multiplayer, which is one of the funnest, most addicting games I've ever played, only problems it has is it needs dedicated servers and a theatre mode. Other than that, I love playing online. Tat being said, this is nothing without the multiplayer, and the campaign WAS overhyped and overated. Repetitive, linear gameplay and a decent story make up each chapter of it. It's kind of sad most people love the single player so much that they don't even give credit for the amazing multiplayer component.

Message 100 of 125 (118 Views)
0 Likes