Feb 17 2014
By: lastcat123456 Lombax Warrior 141 posts

Why did left behind tell basically the same story as the comics did

3 replies 190 views Edited Feb 17, 2014

For as much thought as naughty dog put into the story of the original game they really ripped people off a bit with the story in the dlc (if you are someone who spent money on the comics).

In the comics Riley goes on and on about the Fireflies. In the comics Riley takes Ellie to the mall. In the comics Riley shows the video game to Ellie and even mentions Angel Knives as well. In the comics they visit the hut where the old man lives (he's still alive then). In the comics Ellie rides a horse (a real horse vs a merry go round horse in the dlc).

So why is it do you suppose that Naughty Dog chose to tell almost the exact same story in the dlc as they did in the comics? Is it a sign of just how little of the story they had thought out outside of the original game? Is it because they only had months to work on the dlc story instead of years and didn't have time to flesh out an entirely new storyline for these characters?

In anycase what naughty dog did really is a bit of a rip off for those that bought both the dlc and the comic book. Wouldn't be such a rip off if Last of Us wasn't meant to be such a story driven game but since it is meant to be a story driven game viewers really do expect more than just a re-hash of a story they have already heard about.

Naughty Dog really does need to do better than this if they want to create more stories for this series and make people pay for those new stories. 

Message 1 of 4 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11230 posts

Re: Why did left behind tell basically the same story as the comics did

Feb 17, 2014

I'm one of those people who never read the comics so everything they were experiecing together was new for me.

But the problem here is the ending of the DLC (IMO), that part showed us nothing new, absolutely nothing, maybe some people might think that the cutscene and the chemistry between the two was enough but i really wish we were able to see where they go from there, what did they do, that'd be way more emotional for me, seeing the two getting "all poetic" just like Ellie said in the main game, but noooo... just put a black screen and that's it! :smileysad:

But that doesn't mean i'm hating on the DLC, i think you can call that a nitpick, not sure... i liked it, but i didn't love it, know what i mean? They could have done so much more but instead they only gave us what we already had.

Message 2 of 4 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
141 posts

Feb 17, 2014

That's true. I don't understand why they chose to just skip the most important part of the whole story. Sure they can say they wanted to show Ellie and Riley just being kids but again they had already told that story in the comic books they forced people to pay for. I don't think it would have taken them that long to create a storyline for the time inbetween when they got bit and Riley turning and Ellie realizing she wasn't turning.

Message 3 of 4 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

Feb 17, 2014
I agree the ending should have showed more... I was convinced it'd but it didn't xD
The rest of the DLC was awesome though :smileywink:
Message 4 of 4 (111 Views)
0 Likes