Jul 07 2013
By: TheFunnyMan-- I Only Post Everything 797 posts
Accepted Solution

Why do the Fireflies and Military Clash?

7 replies 598 views Edited Jul 7, 2013

The fireflies are trying to restore the US to what it was and find a cure. Get government back and runnin and eventually unite the country (though I doubt that could ever happen at this point). What I dont understand is why does the military hate them then? "they are looking for a cure! Shoot them!"

In the cinematic after the prologue (with the news reporter talking and eventually Marlene), they just randomly say (I paraphrase) "a group calling themselves the fireflies have admitted to the attacks". And its like from the get go the Fireflies and Military were at odds when it seems like their goals should coincide? Why did the fireflies even attack?

I mustve missed something completely bc that is just one thing I dont understand. Maybe we arent supposed to know the full story because, in the end, it doesnt really matter?

photo c2360113-3b52-4c69-8e36-3bb37cb9501c_zps713c8462.png
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (598 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
564 posts

Re: Why do the Fireflies and Military Clash?

[ Edited ]
Jul 7, 2013

Fireflies were supposed terrorists - you can see a bomb exploding when walking with Marlene and Tess. Plus Fireflies had "taken responsibility for all attacks against the government in attempt to restore all branches of government", which was heard in the after-prologue (opening) credits.

I have acquired the grade of Master in The Last of Us story/character/game knowledge as I have played it through 9 times.

... I have no life.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (590 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 7, 2013

It's all a game of power and control. The army just wanted an excuse (the fungus) to take over and control the country. Like some of the military takeovers right now in the world. North Koreans for example suffer from poverty and abuse of their military junta, rebellion is natural to such situations. Imagine a situation of such a pandemic, it would be chaotic. I think it should be even more noted and probably some more rebel groups shown in the game (There probably are but they are just not mentioned). The army taking over for the first 5 years is acceptable, but 20 years later  there should be a more democratic goverment. People in The Last Of Us universe feel opressed and controled that's why they rebel or live out of the "cities".

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (587 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1027 posts

Jul 7, 2013
1-The new government is essentially a dictatorship
2-The FireFlies oppose it
3-Therefore they fight each other
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (561 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Jul 7, 2013

Well is what appears to have happened is this:

-Outbreak occurs.

-Martial Law is imposed in the state of emergency.

-Quarantine Zones are established.

-The military doesnt give up its power, they resume control of the country. (or whats left of it)

-Some people see what is going on and oppose this action.

-The ones brave enough form a group called the fireflies and rebel against this new military dictatorship.

-They attack and attempt to criple the militaries power, and demand the return of the three branches of Government.

-The military laughs and declares them enemies of the state and terrorists.

That is what I got out of it anyways.

Ellie photo Ellie_zps812f6c9e.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (523 Views)
First Son
28 posts

Jul 7, 2013
Even in The Last of Us the Illuminati exists......
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (470 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
797 posts

Jul 8, 2013

Sch3ffs11 wrote:

Well is what appears to have happened is this:

-Outbreak occurs.

-Martial Law is imposed in the state of emergency.

-Quarantine Zones are established.

-The military doesnt give up its power, they resume control of the country. (or whats left of it)

-Some people see what is going on and oppose this action.

-The ones brave enough form a group called the fireflies and rebel against this new military dictatorship.

-They attack and attempt to criple the militaries power, and demand the return of the three branches of Government.

-The military laughs and declares them enemies of the state and terrorists.

That is what I got out of it anyways.

this makes sense. I dont know why I couldnt think of that answer myself haha, thank you!

photo c2360113-3b52-4c69-8e36-3bb37cb9501c_zps713c8462.png
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (390 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Jul 8, 2013
Haha no problem! The concept is actually quite awesome, and that is why I really paid attention to the details i heard concerning the two.
Ellie photo Ellie_zps812f6c9e.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (308 Views)
0 Likes