Uncharted Territory
1407 posts

Re: Why no female bandits in SP?

Aug 2, 2013

loakum wrote:

We (in America) live in the Fox News era, where any and everything is (((((OUTRAGE)))))))..if Naughty Dog would had killing female survivors/bandits in their game, it would had been on the air constantly demanding a boycott of the game, and lawsuits would be flying from every direction. In other words, they made a wise choice.

This is the most idiotic post on these forums that I have seen so far.

Last I checked feminists go full on rage about Mario and Zelda denegrating women.  I dont even want to think about what they would say about this game if that was done. 

Message 11 of 25 (235 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 2, 2013

Essentially to avoid controvesy I suppose.                                                                                                                                          

Rather not have your game being **** on for having a burly man beating/shooting/burning/exploding the crap out of

women enemies.

When you can have you game get **** on for not having women enemies instead. 

Your screwed either way. Haha. 

She's watching us all. 

carolyn-petit_100.jpg

Edit: profanity

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 12 of 25 (231 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 2, 2013

Nate3963 wrote:

Essentially to avoid controvesy I suppose.                                                                                                                                          

Rather not have your game being **** on for having a burly man beating/shooting/burning/exploding the crap out of

women enemies.

When you can have you game get **** on for not having women enemies instead. 

Your screwed either way. Haha. 

She's watching us all. 

carolyn-petit_100.jpg

Edit: profanity

IT. IT'S watching us.

That thing wouldn't be pleased either way.

Had they included women and made them equal to the men, IT would complain.

And when they left them out IT complained.

IT is not satisfied.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

- John F. Kennedy
Message 13 of 25 (215 Views)
Fender Bender
3659 posts

Aug 2, 2013
Can someone post that picture of concept art mentioned on the first page?
Message 14 of 25 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3659 posts

Aug 2, 2013
Please*
Message 15 of 25 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
217 posts

Aug 3, 2013
They have that excuse of "Survival of the fittest.
!". I believe they decided to not include it so there would be outrage. By no means do I think it would not fit the game, I believe it would be nice, but I understand that they don't want to get into that trouble.
(Nor do I think women are not strong enough that couldn't survive.)
Message 16 of 25 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Aug 3, 2013

Even taking reality away from it and only focusing on the universe that is TLoU, we know that women are strong enough to survive.  Tess and Ellie both prove that.  (Then, of course, if you add back in reality, it's obvious that women could survive.  They survived through all our male bull**** for the past entirety of our species after all).

I do have to say that I did stop noticing that there were not female enemies (non-infected).  It was obvious to me at first, but after my brain registered that it wasn't going to happen, the rest of the game seemed smooth in this regard.  It would have been difficult to do, choking out women a thousands times throughout my playthroughs, but that's kind of the point of TLoU, right?  Tommy states that it wasn't worth living through the 'Surviving' that Joel was responsibile for.  "Surviving" in TLoU is supposed to be traumatic, to the point that Joel is a killing-machine harda**, Ellie's mind is slightly snapped, and Tommy flat out says that death would have been a better choice.

As far as feminism is concerned, I can absolutely see the point of not including women enemies.  We still live in a world in which women are unfairly treated on a consistent basis, and much of the population believe specifically that women are lesser creatures.  Absolutely ridiculous, but it's true.  There is sense in making sure women are entirely protected from violence even in a videogame format.
However, eventually, for all things to be truly fair and equal in our world, the concept of having women being killed in a story like TLoU has to be included.  It's reality that they would be surviving and attempting to kill our player the same as men.  Perhaps we are simply a hundred years too early for this inclusion though (made up number).

Note: There is one female soldier who gets killed, by Tess.

Message 17 of 25 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
120 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 3, 2013

I figured because the hunters and bandits just uses them for breeding.

Edit: And by "just" I mean "only". 

Message 18 of 25 (137 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Aug 3, 2013

Has anyone pointed out that they're in multiplayer at random? Not saying I lean towards one way, but I find it interesting I can combat and fight women in MP and not SP. 

Message 19 of 25 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
17666 posts

Aug 3, 2013
Three of the strongest characters in this game are women: Ellie, Tess and Marlene.

People should just **bleep** and move along.

[ 39 ] Every time a mine downs someone an Angel gets its wings.
Message 20 of 25 (114 Views)
0 Likes