May 09 2013
By: calcunnon Treasure Hunter 5307 posts

Why no multiplayer trailer might be a good thing.

47 replies 472 views Edited May 9, 2013

Trailers are made to attract as many of the general public as possible towards purchasing a product. So far, all the single-player trailers have done a good job of that; the game is fairly well-publicised, at least within the gaming market, and there's a lot of buzz around how exciting the game looks.

Do you remember the multiplayer trailer for Uncharted 3? Full of explosions, shooting, taunts, customisation, and so on. All of which were shown in an exciting, action-packed display of eye-candy. That's bound to attract some of the casual market who love mindlessly shooting everything that moves.

Perhaps The Last of Us' multiplayer portion won't feature all of these casual-gamer-pleasing setups that the FPS generation has come to expect. Maybe the game will be more about patience, teamwork and careful thinking. Although I prefer these traits in a game and genuinely hope they're the focus, they don't necessarily make for a good trailer.

Just a thought. A hopeful thought.

Message 1 of 48 (472 Views)
Naughty Host
9402 posts

Re: Why no multiplayer trailer might be a good thing.

May 9, 2013

calcunnon wrote:

Trailers are made to attract as many of the general public as possible towards purchasing a product. So far, all the single-player trailers have done a good job of that; the game is fairly well-publicised, at least within the gaming market, and there's a lot of buzz around how exciting the game looks.

Do you remember the multiplayer trailer for Uncharted 3? Full of explosions, shooting, taunts, customisation, and so on. All of which were shown in an exciting, action-packed display of eye-candy. That's bound to attract some of the casual market who love mindlessly shooting everything that moves.

Perhaps The Last of Us' multiplayer portion won't feature all of these casual-gamer-pleasing setups that the FPS generation has come to expect. Maybe the game will be more about patience, teamwork and careful thinking. Although I prefer these traits in a game and genuinely hope they're the focus, they don't necessarily make for a good trailer.

This only applies to trailers, like you said. Still, ANY kind of MP info is needed.

Message 2 of 48 (470 Views)
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

[ Edited ]
May 9, 2013

I hear what your saying and it's nice to see you back as well.  

Regardless, I'd still appreciate a MP trailer or any information regarding the MP at all. Just a little peek at what I'm buying would be nice.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 3 of 48 (467 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Host
9402 posts

May 9, 2013

Nate3963 wrote:

I hear what your saying and it's nice to see you back as well.  

Regardless, I'd still appreciate a MP trailer. Just a little peek at what I'm buying is nice.

He was always here, under JAY-Z

Message 4 of 48 (461 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

[ Edited ]
May 9, 2013

Lol, I hope not.  

Oh yeah, I sent the PM. I'll let you know when I get a response. You could be waiting a while.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 5 of 48 (458 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Host
9402 posts

May 9, 2013

Nate3963 wrote:

Lol, I hope not.  

Oh yeah, I sent the PM. I'll let you know when I get a response. You could be waiting a while.

Notice how they are never in the same thread... It's the perfect cover. 

Message 6 of 48 (448 Views)
Fender Bender
2562 posts

May 9, 2013

calcunnon wrote:

I hope so too. Fingers crossed. It would be nice to have a slow paced, tense, team dedicated MP rather than TDM fashion show.

Message 7 of 48 (434 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
345 posts

[ Edited ]
May 9, 2013

I Seriously couldn't care less about action and explosions..

This is definitely not the reason why we haven't got a MP trailer.

They said at PAX east, they where testing the hell out of multiplayer

and really trying to make it as good as can be.

I'm very certain we will get a multiplayer trailer this month.

dfbgfdhbfdw.jpg

Message 8 of 48 (429 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2856 posts

May 9, 2013

Cookieter wrote:

I Seriusly coudn't care less about action and explosions..

this is defenetly not the reason why we havn't got a MP trailer.

They said at PAX east, they where testing the hell out of multiplayer

and really trying to make it as good as can be.

I'm very surtain we will get a multiplayer trailer this month.

I'm very surtain we won't have one :smileytongue:

Message 9 of 48 (425 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5307 posts

May 9, 2013

Cookieter wrote:

I'm very certain we will get a multiplayer trailer this month.

Oh sorry I didn't realise you were very certain, I look forward to getting it this month, then.

Message 10 of 48 (413 Views)
0 Likes