May 31 2013
By: cvbxsta Hekseville Citizen 268 posts

Will The Last of Us raise the bar for voice acting and mature narratives in gamin?

[ Edited ]
8 replies 260 views Edited May 31, 2013

For the longest time I've held Far Cry 3 as the pinnacle of voice acting, mainly to Michael Mando's incredibly intense performance as Vaas.

But from what we've seen from trailers and gameplay, I truly feel that TLOU might raise the bar. I still get chills watching the story trailers and Joel goes "It is over, Tess." Even in that short scene, the emotion is palpable, which I find incredibly impressive for game acting. And the interplay between characters seems so realistic and intense.

Combined with the realistic dark and mature narrative that ND has promised and the trailer have clearly hinted at, I think The Last of Us could be a milestone in video game storytelling. Even more so than a game like Beyond, which seems to be trying so hard to be a movie.

And here's the trailer, if anyone wants to watch it again:

Message 1 of 9 (260 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
72 posts

Re: Will The Last of Us raise the bar for voice acting and mature narratives in gamin?

May 31, 2013

^ I agree with you 100%.

Message 2 of 9 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Re: Will The Last of Us raise the bar for voice acting and mature narratives in gamin?

May 31, 2013

I think the cast of "Tomb Raider" did a fantastic job. It is the best voice acting in a game I've heard in years.

TLOU sounds promising as well. As for it "raising the bar," I don't know.

Both have Hollywood actors doing the voices. (Which shows).

I think that is the bar we are seeing in games today. Instead of just actors only known for their voice, we are getting more and more (serious / mature) games with Hollywood film actors. GTA: VC and SA had a stellar cast, but the actors didn't exactly have to pour their heart and soul in each line...

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 3 of 9 (233 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3587 posts

[ Edited ]
May 31, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

I think the cast of "Tomb Raider" did a fantastic job. It is the best voice acting in a game I've heard in years.

I think that is the bar we are seeing in games today. Instead of just actors only known for their voice, we are getting more and more (serious / mature) games with Hollywood film actors. GTA: VC and SA had a stellar cast, but the actors didn't exactly have to pour their heart and soul in each line...

the whole cast of Tomb Raider? I only thought Lara was good, maybe Roth too, but the rest was nothing special, I loved Tomb Raider, such a good game, but the voice acting of Lara's friends was nothing special, and sometimes even bad! (in my opinion of course)

@OP: better than Beyond Two Souls? no way, really. That game has such good actors (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe, etc.), you can't beat that, and I disagree with that game trying to be like a movie, it just focuses on story the most, but it's not a bunch of cutscenes, everything you see is in-game and everything is interactive, also Quantic Dream confirmed that there would be no Quick Time Events, sure you will not have complete control over your character like in other games, but that doesn't mean it has no gameplay, it's just different...

games with fantastic voice acting, again in my opinion of course:

- Batman Arkham series (Bruce Wayne/Batman and The Joker)

- Uncharted series/The Last of Us (All of them!)

- Heavy Rain/Beyond Two Souls (All of them!)

- InFamous series (Cole McGrath and Zeke)

- Ratchet and Clank Future series (Ratchet, Clank, Quark, Emperror Tachyon and Dr. Nefarious)

Message 4 of 9 (205 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

[ Edited ]
May 31, 2013

I loved Heavy Rain and am thrilled that such esteemed actors are getting involved in games and taking the medium seriously. But IMO Cage's games in general are almost ashamed of being games. Sure there's interactivity but the narrative seems like it overshadows the elements that make it all coalesce into gameplay

But The Last of Us seems like it successfully combines the mature narrative and adult themes of a movie with the depth and fun of true gameplay. It's not ashamed of being a game.

Does this make any sense?

Message 5 of 9 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

May 31, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

the whole cast of Tomb Raider? I only thought Lara was good, maybe Roth too, but the rest was nothing special, I loved Tomb Raider, such a good game, but the voice acting of Lara's friends was nothing special, and sometimes even bad! (in my opinion of course)

True. Maybe "whole cast" was pushing it.

But, we don't know how the rest of the cast will be in TLOU. All we've gotten the most dialogue out of is Joel and Ellie.

The rest of the cast could be so-so in the end. We won't know until we play it.

My overall point was: I don't know if TLOU is "raising" the bar with it's voice talent, since plenty of games are trying to get serious Hollywood actors involved in their games. And that is the bar raised. (You brought up Beyond. I was thinking the same exact thing.)

The voice acting in Telltale's The Walking Dead was pretty good, too.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 6 of 9 (183 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

May 31, 2013
I am most likely biased but the original MGS1 had better voice acting than tomb raider. Kain soul reaver was majestic too. Don't get me wrong, i love tomb raider too, but it's just as the other posters said...aside from Lara, the supporting cast was bland.

I'm no expert on tomb raider, but even the hardcore gamers on tombraiderforums.com don't even like Lara's voice either.

"If your choice is to save me over everybody else in the world then...ok. I trust you now and let’s live life.." ~TheVulcanSalute
Message 7 of 9 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3587 posts

May 31, 2013

cvbxsta wrote:

I loved Heavy Rain and am thrilled that such esteemed actors are getting involved in games and taking the medium seriously. But IMO Cage's games in general are almost ashamed of being games. Sure there's interactivity but the narrative seems like it overshadows the elements that make it all coalesce into gameplay

But The Last of Us seems like it successfully combines the mature narrative and adult themes of a movie with the depth and fun of true gameplay. It's not ashamed of being a game.

Does this make any sense?

it does make sense, I get what you're saying, but I think Beyond Two Souls does combine it very good as well, let me explain it with an example:

- In Beyond Two Souls you do a lot of different things with Jody or Aiden, there are far more animations than in The Last of Us, you can't just say, use square to punch stuff, like Joel would punch an infected or hunter with a variety of animations, but in Beyond Two Souls, the combat is more scripted, this isn't a negative thing, it just sacrifices freedom in gameplay for a more immersive experience, Jody can evade attacks, disarm opponents, punch them, kick them, grab them, counter attacks, hold by an opponent and having to deflect an other opponents attacks, use guns, use the environment, so much to do that you can't just assign to a few buttons...

I find it hard to explain what I really mean, but I hope you understand it this way, let me try to put it this way: both have great gameplay and a great story, but The Last of Us adapts it's story to the gameplay, and Beyond Two Souls adapts the gameplay to the story, so The Last of Us will have more challenging and fun gameplay and Beyond Two Souls will have a more immersive story Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 9 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

May 31, 2013

blackdelage wrote:
I am most likely biased but the original MGS1 had better voice acting than tomb raider. Kain soul reaver was majestic too. Don't get me wrong, i love tomb raider too, but it's just as the other posters said...aside from Lara, the supporting cast was bland.

I'm no expert on tomb raider, but even the hardcore gamers on tombraiderforums.com don't even like Lara's voice either.

Opinions vary.

Message 9 of 9 (142 Views)
0 Likes