Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 10 2014
By: TheJungler Lombax Warrior 69 posts

Will the PS4 version be uncensored in the EU

59 replies 783 views Edited Apr 10, 2014

Naughty Dog, you have a chance here to make good on your deliberately misleading PS3 launch, and awful post launch customer relations on this matter.

Please, please, please, if the PS4 version has the same, completely nonsensical, blanket censorship for the EU - will you at least tell us in advance this time?

At the very least.

Thank you.

Shedding light on SCE/SCEE's policy of blanket EU censorship.

We don't accept the wall of silence!

http://sceuncut.tumblr.com - http://facebook.com/sceuncut - http://twitter.com/sceuncutblog
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 60 (783 Views)
Lombax Warrior
212 posts

Re: Will the PS4 version be uncensored in the EU

Apr 10, 2014

I just never understood why it was censored in the multiplayer, when the singleplayer (the thing that everyone played) still had gore.

Hopefully it'll be uncensored this time. If not, I'll probably look to purchase a digital US version (I think I read somewhere that that would work).

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 60 (749 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1635 posts

Apr 10, 2014

ND can't uncensor something that EU won't allow. They have to play by their rules, or EU is just going to ban the game, like AU did with Left 4 Dead. Each country has a different ratings board than the other.

Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 60 (746 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11080 posts

Apr 10, 2014

TheNobleSquirrel wrote:

ND can't uncensor something that EU won't allow. They have to play by their rules, or EU is just going to ban the game, like AU did with Left 4 Dead. Each country has a different ratings board than the other.

This... i know it's **bleep** but would you rather have gore or just not have the game? 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 60 (727 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1334 posts

Apr 10, 2014

The game would be baneed in 3 countries then :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 60 (719 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
102 posts

Apr 11, 2014

renatabls wrote:

TheNobleSquirrel wrote:

This... i know it's **bleep** but would you rather have gore or just not have the game? 

I'd rather have a version for EU, then a seperate version for Germany & Austrailia if need be. PEGI have said they just rate what is given, they don't request cuts (Someone got a response from them over either this or Beyond: Two Souls).

Also where do you people get this, "EU won't allow" nonsense? The game was never rejected by any EU rating board, there was never a submission of an uncensored version, that got rejected and then had to be cut.

The cuts were requested by SCEE, more than likely because they didn't want risk USK (Germany) to reject and have to resubmit and don't want to do two copies.

Seriously, you people will do anything to shift blame from SCEE and ND.

You can't blame ratings for "wall of silence".Even if it's going to be censored again, is it that hard to say? Yeah, it's going to be censored, sorry. Here we are, a year later and the same BS is going down.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 60 (679 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1635 posts

Apr 11, 2014

Fish_Goes_Moo wrote:

renatabls wrote:

TheNobleSquirrel wrote:

I'd rather have a version for EU, then a seperate version for Germany & Austrailia if need be. PEGI have said they just rate what is given, they don't request cuts (Someone got a response from them over either this or Beyond: Two Souls).

Also where do you people get this, "EU won't allow" nonsense? The game was never rejected by any EU rating board, there was never a submission of an uncensored version, that got rejected and then had to be cut.

The cuts were requested by SCEE, more than likely because they didn't want risk USK (Germany) to reject and have to resubmit and don't want to do two copies.

You can't blame ratings for "wall of silence".Even if it's going to be censored again, is it that hard to say? Yeah, it's going to be censored, sorry. Here we are, a year later and the same BS is going down.

I get this "EU won't allow" nonsense from every game made, and a bit of common sense. PEGI may not request cuts, but EU may request them. What PEGI allows, and EU itself allows are two different things. Why do you think AU banned L4D? It sure as hell wasn't PEGI.

Where are you getting this "Two copies" BS? A simple patch sent out on whatever region EU discs are, can censor, or uncensor anything. 

Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 60 (675 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
102 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 11, 2014

TheNobleSquirrel wrote:

Fish_Goes_Moo wrote:

renatabls wrote:

TheNobleSquirrel wrote:

I get this "EU won't allow" nonsense from every game made, and a bit of common sense. PEGI may not request cuts, but EU may request them. What PEGI allows, and EU itself allows are two different things. Why do you think AU banned L4D? It sure as hell wasn't PEGI.

Where are you getting this "Two copies" BS? A simple patch sent out on whatever region EU discs are, can censor, or uncensor anything. 

Of course PEGI didn't ban L4D in AU, why would they, they have nothing to do with AU. Games in AU are rated and banned/allowed by the Australian Classfication Board, nothing to do with EU or PEGI.

I don't even know why you bring up AU and PEGI. They have nothing to do with each other. PEGI didn't rate L4D and then the AU goverment overuled them and banned it. They simply rated the EU copy and that's it. Australian Classifcation board rated the copy submitted to them and banned it (well refused clasfication, because the highest rating at the time was ma15+).

Your common sense= PEGI ditactes what a region they have nothing to do with, is allowed/not allowed?

Two copies, how about a huge amount of games? Plenty of games have a specific version for Germany. Go look on the USK site (German rating board), you can see specific German versions for plenty of games. I don' recall a single game, where cuts were/were not decided by a patch. Every game that has had a cut German version (the only EU country with it's own rating board for games), has been a seperate version.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 60 (672 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1635 posts

Apr 11, 2014

Fish_Goes_Moo wrote:

TheNobleSquirrel wrote:

Fish_Goes_Moo wrote:

renatabls wrote:

TheNobleSquirrel wrote:

Of course PEGI didn't ban L4D in AU, why would they, they have nothing to do with AU. Games in AU are rated and banned/allowed by the Australian Classfication Board, nothing to do with EU or PEGI.

I don't even know why you bring up AU and PEGI. They have nothing to do with each other. PEGI didn't rate L4D and then the AU goverment overuled them and banned it. They simply rated the EU copy and that's it. Australian Classifcation board rated the copy submitted to them and banned it (well refused clasfication, because the highest rating at the time was ma15+).

Your common sense= PEGI ditactes what a region they have nothing to do with, is allowed/not allowed?

Two copies, how about a huge amount of games? Plenty of games have a specific version for Germany. Go look on the USK site (German rating board), you can see specific German versions for plenty of games. I don' recall a single game, where cuts were/were not decided by a patch. Every game that has had a cut German version (the only EU country with it's own rating board for games), has been a seperate version.

I assumed PEGI handled AU as well, my mistake, but my point still stands. When they say "German version" of a specific game, what do you think made it that way? A patch. If it's hiding gore, censoring language, or changing a cutscene, it was all done via patch before, or after the game was shipped. That's all. Making 2, or three ENTIRELY different versions of games, would be way too tedious on the companies, and run them into the ground in no time.

Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 60 (652 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
69 posts

Apr 11, 2014

With respect TheNobleSquirrel, you need to stop talking about stuff you have no idea about and passing it off as fact.

When you say "EU won't allow it", what are you even talking about, specifically?! There is no EU board that bans or censors material.

Every individual country has their own standards, yes, but the vast majority of them now defer to PEGI for classification (except Germany, who still has an active board in the form of USK), and as stated above PEGI don't censor or ban material, they ONLY rate it. 

If a particular country needs to censor material then they will step in, but everyone except Germany doesn't need to, they don't request it.

The Last Of Us was pre-emptively self-censored by ND / SCEE, before submission to PEGI and the USK, basically to save the hassle of potentially having to resubmit to USK and create a separate, localised version / disc. USK never rejected anything, because ND / SCEE had already cut the balls off the multiplayer before they even saw it.

So they gimped it for the whole of the EU and submitted one version for everyone, on a lowest common denominator approach, due to Germany (and Australia too, as when we say EU we really mean PAL region).

Games aren't censored by patch, think about it, if someone didn't have internet in Germany they would end up playing the uncensored version wouldn't they?

If games could be censored / uncensored by patch then they could have done that to uncensor all the copies in countries that aren't Germany / Australia, but they didn't because it would still involve re-classifying.

The crux of the problem is that SCEE can't be bothered to submit different versions of games for different countries in the PAL region, whether that's on disc, or digital makes no difference, it's the process involved in that. So what we are protesting is the treatment of millions of EU fans being given a 'lite' version (against our knowledge, at the time of release) because they can't be bothered to put in a bit of extra distribution work.

THINK OF HOW MUCH MONEY THE LAST OF US MADE. The cost of submission is in the thousands, that's it.

Shedding light on SCE/SCEE's policy of blanket EU censorship.

We don't accept the wall of silence!

http://sceuncut.tumblr.com - http://facebook.com/sceuncut - http://twitter.com/sceuncutblog
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 60 (631 Views)