Jul 20 2014
By: joeyp203 Splicer 48 posts

Without spoilers, what is this game like

17 replies 434 views Edited Jul 20, 2014
I preordered the game for PS4 and never played it on PS3. What is this game like I paid the full 50 originally hearing it was a third person action game, but somebody else told be it's not really a shooter game.. So would you consider this like Tomb Raider because I played a little of it and wasn't really a fan, didn't see much action for the amount of time I l played.. I was hoping it was going to be Dead Space maybe kind of Resident Evil like.. But now I'm thinking I just have to wait for the evil within for that, which looks awesome by the way
Message 1 of 18 (434 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1642 posts

Re: Without spoilers, what is this game like

[ Edited ]
Jul 20, 2014

The Last of Us is it's own breed of game. It has alot of action, alot of suspense, but most of all it's very narrative. The game itself plays smooth, and fluent. You won't encounter alot of Infected, so don't be expecting Dead Space. When you do encounter them however, it's scary, hectic, and awesome.

Most of the time you'll be fighting Bandits, which can be just as exciting, and offer the same thrill. Don't go popping off rounds as soon as you see an enemy, because ammo is precious. For example, I had 9 shots for my pistol, I cleared a room of infected with it, and had to progress through three areas of bandits, and infected with no ammo, and no melee weapon. 

You'll have to play stealthy quite a bit. One false move, and it could mean you restarting from a checkpoint. It's really about feeling the game for yourself. My gameplay style varies vastly compared to my Brother's. Like I said, it's all about how you want to play the game. Most of the time however, you'll just want to keep getting to the next cutscene. They're so glorious that you never tire of them, no matter how many times you've seen them.

I have no doubt in my mind you'll love the game. Don't watch any gameplay, or spoilers for the maximum effect, and you'll have the best experience of your life next week!

Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Message 2 of 18 (427 Views)
Splicer
48 posts

Jul 20, 2014
Thank u! That's what I've been waiting for I've been very hesitant to watch anything afraid it's going to ruin some thrill for me. I appreciate it and I'm even more excited now
Message 3 of 18 (420 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
359 posts

Jul 20, 2014

TheNobleSquirrel put it perfectly, but I'd like to add my two-cents.

At its heart, TLOU is more like an interactive movie, or that's how I'd describe it.  You're given many challenges and scenarios and it's up to you how to progress through them, much like TheNobleSquirrel said, you can do it stealthily or aggressively - but stealthier players will find the game more rewarding.  It can get tense and there will be times you will be on the edge of your seat, especially when a Clicker stomps by your hiding place.

But yeah, don't expect going into this and seeing a bunch of hardcore action.  It's got some gruesome scenes and some cool combat in it and the gunfights are always fun, but that's not what the game is about.

Go into it expecting to watch a movie.  Expect to watch a movie that has really good characters and a really good storyline.  It's really about the relationship between the two lead characters, and if you pay attention and try to understand the situations and what's going on you'll enjoy every bit of it; you'll really like Joel, but you're gonna fall in love with Ellie cause she's just a great character.

I literally can't explain to you how great Joel and Ellie are, most especially Ellie.  They're so real and believable and you'll probably feel a little blue when you get to the end cause you'll want to see more of them.

4. Mass Effect 2
Message 4 of 18 (402 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Host
9402 posts

Jul 20, 2014
Don't forget to check out the Multiplayer. It's really special and fun.

Message 5 of 18 (399 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2197 posts

Jul 20, 2014

Im always amazed at how the definiton of "spoilers" keeps changing.

Here's an actual spoiler free answer to your question:

This game is a story / character driven Survival Action. If you play on the harder difficulties (and you should, for your 2nd and 3rd playthroughs to get the full experience), you will spend a lot of time crouch walking, sneaking behind people and breaking their necks, or just sneaking by enemies in general. You will engage in a lot of intense / graphic mele battles. You will spend time exploring the environment, collecting supplies. You will constantly be monitoring your inventory, preparing for the next fight (you'll have limited resources/ ammo, which makes scavenging the environment so important). You will not spend much time in drawn out gun battles, so it departs from Tomb Raider in that respect.

--
Say NO to paid DLC maps
Message 6 of 18 (397 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
359 posts

Jul 20, 2014

gunnsandwiches42 wrote:

Im always amazed at how the definiton of "spoilers" keeps changing.

Here's an actual spoiler free answer to your question:

This game is a story / character driven Survival Action. If you play on the harder difficulties (and you should, for your 2nd and 3rd playthroughs to get the full experience), you will spend a lot of time crouch walking, sneaking behind people and breaking their necks, or just sneaking by enemies in general. You will engage in a lot of intense / graphic mele battles. You will spend time exploring the environment, collecting supplies. You will constantly be monitoring your inventory, preparing for the next fight (you'll have limited resources/ ammo, which makes scavenging the environment so important). You will not spend much time in drawn out gun battles, so it departs from Tomb Raider in that respect.

That sounds more like gameplay, which is only one aspect of the overall picture.  Gameplay alone isn't what makes TLOU such a great game, it is the story.  So far no one has really spoiled the story.  Mentinoing the names of the two lead characters isn't spoilery; that's like saying Captain America: The Winter Soldier is spoiled because you already know the names of both the Hero and the Villain.

I'm not trying to argue, but it seemed like you was either implying that me or Squirrel was spoiling the game.  If not, forget I said anything, and ignore this post.

4. Mass Effect 2
Message 7 of 18 (374 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
229 posts

Jul 20, 2014

TLOU doesn't really fit into just one genre. It's a story driven action game with elements of stealth, third person shooting and survival horror. The gameplay actually gives you pleanty of freedom to use different strategies to get past the enemies but as others have said going the stealth route is normally the sensible (and most enjoyable) option.

Althought the gameplay is great TLOU greatest achievements were its story, pacing and cinematic feel. It arguably set a new benchmark for these things in games yet at the same time it never felt like an interactive movie or forgot it was a game.

Like I said if you like story driven action games you will love TLOU! 

Message 8 of 18 (373 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

Jul 21, 2014
Don't forget to play on Grounded the first time too! I think that ranks up as one of the better very hard difficulties.
It is pretty hard, perhaps near my top interns of sheer difficulty but still manageable via trial and error... You will persevere and learn every location by heart cause that's what's necessary. You will develop tactics and refine your game. It will be hard but if you persevere it is very manageable. It took a seasoned player like me between 10 - 15 hours but it was my 4th playthrough so don't really start on this difficulty :smileytongue:
Message 9 of 18 (315 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1211 posts

Jul 21, 2014

Its Lawrence of Arabia meets Walking Dead

The Last of Us: 96% Metacritic!!!
Message 10 of 18 (151 Views)
0 Likes