Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/07/2011
Offline
5307 posts
 

Re: co-op sucks, if no multiplayer i wont buy

Mar 29, 2013

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Speak for yourself. Lots of users enjoy a single player campaign. Multiplayer games are pretty much reskinned versions of the same game. Sure there are a lot of gamers who enjoy it but please don't sacrifice the quality of the campaign for the multiplayer version of the game.


I see this argument thrown around a lot. Why does adding a multiplayer sacrifice the quality of the single player? The real answer is, it doesn't. The multiplayer portion of a game is almost always designed an developed by a different team to the single player portion, whether it be made in-house or sourced to contractors.

 

I agree that multiplayer is one of the most important elements of a game. It has to be done right, because not only is it the company's best source of additional income via DLC, but because that's what your players eventually stick to once they've finished the campaign.

 

Personally, I only buy roughly 4 games a year, and so I'm really picky about which ones I spend my (little) time on. I have to know that it has a decent multiplayer because that's what I'll play between completing the campaign and my next game purchase. I think there are plenty of people like me in that respect, too.

Message 21 of 51 (258 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 06/14/2009
Online
13534 posts
 

Re: co-op sucks, if no multiplayer i wont buy

Mar 29, 2013

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

people who put multiplayer above single player in games such as this disgust me. :smileyfrustrated:


Multiplayer is above Single Player now, people have finally come to realise that once they are done with the single player they are left with shelfware.

 


Speak for yourself. Lots of users enjoy a single player campaign. Multiplayer games are pretty much reskinned versions of the same game. Sure there are a lot of gamers who enjoy it but please don't sacrifice the quality of the campaign for the multiplayer version of the game.

 

I recently purchased Tomb Raider and it sure wasn't to play the multiplayer component of the game. 

 

I will say I do enjoy the ability to play a single player campaign co-op. Resident Evil games are typical of that and I enjoy playing with a friend.


I wasn't saying the single player shouldn't be the main focal point of the game.

 

But for longitivity it's a more important factor. I also have Tomb Raider myself. Absolutely loved the single player, one of the best I've played in a long time.

 

But what now? The multiplayer is useless. They put no effort into it, and now within a few weeks it'll more than likely end up on my shelf forever.

 

I like a lot of other people see multiplayer as an expansion to keep the game alive. That surely means it should be top quality. I know that isn't the case with a lot of games, example being Tomb Raider here.



Message 22 of 51 (257 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 05/22/2009
Online
29222 posts
 

Re: co-op sucks, if no multiplayer i wont buy

[ Edited ]
Mar 30, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

I wasn't saying the single player shouldn't be the main focal point of the game.

 

But for longitivity it's a more important factor. I also have Tomb Raider myself. Absolutely loved the single player, one of the best I've played in a long time.

 

But what now? The multiplayer is useless. They put no effort into it, and now within a few weeks it'll more than likely end up on my shelf forever.

 

I like a lot of other people see multiplayer as an expansion to keep the game alive. That surely means it should be top quality. I know that isn't the case with a lot of games, example being Tomb Raider here.


I certainly agree that single player should be the main focus.

 

I didn't say that multiplayer shouldn't be a component of a game but you stated that it was more important and I don't agree and I'm not the only one who feels that way. 

 

Sorry but I don't play a lot of multiplayer games and I'm not really interested in that aspect of the game all that much. The one multiplayer game I have played quite a bit is Uncharted Among Thieves but I certainly don't buy ANY GAME for the multiplayer component. I buy it for the campaign.

Message 23 of 51 (239 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/29/2008
Offline
7102 posts
 

Re: co-op sucks, if no multiplayer i wont buy

Mar 30, 2013

There will be both.

fadi002's Signature - The Last Of Us

Message 24 of 51 (222 Views)
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 06/14/2009
Online
13534 posts
 

Re: co-op sucks, if no multiplayer i wont buy

Mar 30, 2013

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

I wasn't saying the single player shouldn't be the main focal point of the game.

 

But for longitivity it's a more important factor. I also have Tomb Raider myself. Absolutely loved the single player, one of the best I've played in a long time.

 

But what now? The multiplayer is useless. They put no effort into it, and now within a few weeks it'll more than likely end up on my shelf forever.

 

I like a lot of other people see multiplayer as an expansion to keep the game alive. That surely means it should be top quality. I know that isn't the case with a lot of games, example being Tomb Raider here.


I certainly agree that single player should be the main focus.

 

I didn't say that multiplayer shouldn't be a component of a game but you stated that it was more important and I don't agree and I'm not the only one who feels that way. 

 

Sorry but I don't play a lot of multiplayer games and I'm not really interested in that aspect of the game all that much. The one multiplayer game I have played quite a bit is Uncharted Among Thieves but I certainly don't buy ANY GAME for the multiplayer component. I buy it for the campaign.


When I said that people have come to realise it I was primarily focusing on what I believe is going on in the developer world.

 

A good example of this exists in Battlefield and Call of Duty, three leading developers between those games, both focus on Multiplayer over Single Player.

 

They really don't like people trading in games either they are completely against it, EA opt for passes for games, Activision currently don't. But they sure don't like used games.

 

The point here I guess is, I'm the kind of person that is aimed at. I'm sure not going to replay Tomb Raider again, I finished, I'm done, bad multiplayer, I don't see the need in returning to it.

 

Then theres something like. Uncharted 3 or 2. Good Single Player, Great multiplayer for Uncharted 2, Never had any intentions of trading it.

 

Uncharted 3.. Okay ish Single Player, Average Multiplayer, I had every intention of trading it but couldn't get a fair price.

 

I wouldn't have traded Uncharted 2 if it didn't have multiplayer. It had glorious options to mess with to add to the campaign. Uncharted 3 doesn't have that either. So once I was done at one playthrough there was little reason to revisit it.

 

I'm fine with a great single player game, if it offers me enough reason to play again then it doesn't need single player, but if it's not going to offer me a reason like Tomb Raider as great as if is, gives me no incentive to play again, it better have a good multiplayer to keep it on my shelf and not in some used store.

 

I'd go as far as to say Tomb Raider is great for a once playthrough but really bad from a longitivity standpoint.



Message 25 of 51 (219 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 05/22/2009
Online
29222 posts
 

Re: co-op sucks, if no multiplayer i wont buy

[ Edited ]
Mar 30, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

A good example of this exists in Battlefield and Call of Duty, three leading developers between those games, both focus on Multiplayer over Single Player.

  

The point here I guess is, I'm the kind of person that is aimed at. I'm sure not going to replay Tomb Raider again, I finished, I'm done, bad multiplayer, I don't see the need in returning to it.

 


I personally wouldn't touch Battlefield or Call of Duty given I'm not interested in them in the least. I could care less about their single player and I wouldn't go near the multiplayer which as you point out is really the pirmary focus of their games. That to me is the best example of what could happen to great single player games if one lets multiplayer become the focus of most games.  

 

I've had two playthroughs of Tomb Raider single player so far to earn my platinum and I might play through it a third time at some point before retiring the game because I enjoyed it so much. I don't have a problem with that per se. I've played a number of the Tomb Raider games and never regretted buying or playing them and they didn't have multiplayer and I didn't miss it one bit. I personally wasn't very happy with the emphasis on multiplayer trophies included in the platinum with Tomb Raider this go around. 

 

We have a different point of view when it comes to games and that's fine. I understand your point about longevity but you also need to understand there is a significant crowd out there who simply don't care for multiplayer and as I pointed out earlier I do enjoy co-op when included in a good single player campaign like the Resident Evil games which the OP seems to be complaining about. I certainly don't need Deathmatch to make me happy. 

 

I sincerely hope The Last of Us is primarily centered around an outstanding single player experience because that is what I'm really looking forward to. 

 

Message 26 of 51 (211 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 02/02/2012
Offline
391 posts
 

Re: co-op sucks, if no multiplayer i wont buy

Mar 30, 2013

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

A good example of this exists in Battlefield and Call of Duty, three leading developers between those games, both focus on Multiplayer over Single Player.

  

The point here I guess is, I'm the kind of person that is aimed at. I'm sure not going to replay Tomb Raider again, I finished, I'm done, bad multiplayer, I don't see the need in returning to it.

 


I wouldn't personally touch Battlefield or Call of Duty given I'm not interested in them in the least. I could care less about their single player and I wouldn't go near the multiplayer which is as you point out is really the pirmary focus of their games. That to me is the best example of what could happen to great single player games if one lets multiplayer become the focus of most games.  

 

I've had two playthroughs of Tomb Raider single player so far to earn my platinum and I might play through it a third time at some point before retiring the game because I enjoyed it so much. I don't have a problem with that per se. I've played a number of the Tomb Raider games and never regretted buying or playing them and they didn't have multiplayer and I didn't miss it one bit. I personally wasn't very happy with the emphasis on multiplayer trophies included in the platinum with Tomb Raider this go around. 

 

We have a different point of view when it comes to games and that's fine. I understand your point about longevity but you also need to understand there is a significant crowd out there who simply don't care for multiplayer. As I pointed out earlier I do enjoy co-op when included in a good single player campaign like the Resident Evil games which the OP seems to be complaining about. I certainly don't need Deathmatch to make me happy. 

 

I sincerely hope The Last of Us is primarily centered around an outstanding single player experience because that is what I'm really looking forward to. 

 


Then The Last of Us will make you happy

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde
Message 27 of 51 (200 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 05/22/2009
Online
29222 posts
 

Re: co-op sucks, if no multiplayer i wont buy

[ Edited ]
Mar 30, 2013

Oh I think it will. Naughty Dog has proven it's single player experiences to be top notch. I have platinums in all three of the Uncharted games. Bring it on ND!

 

:smileyhappy:

Message 28 of 51 (198 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 02/25/2006
Online
4151 posts
 

Re: co-op sucks, if no multiplayer i wont buy

Mar 31, 2013

I have to say that I rather deal with smart computer AI than deal with dumb people intelligence. Not every game needs multiplayer. Why oh Why, do we got spoiled gamers that can't find content in just playing a good single player game without all the mindless multiplayer shannigans? If it doesn't have multiplayer , you say you won't won't buy? That sounds like a child talking? Are you a child? Since I have God of War Ascension, I will see if this game is worth all this fuss. May 7th is another month away,

 

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

celebrity fashion gallery

 photo 512d0aca-9476-4802-855d-3554158e2e5e_zps0b4ea223.jpg
Message 29 of 51 (144 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/21/2010
Offline
1194 posts
 

Re: co-op sucks, if no multiplayer i wont buy

Mar 31, 2013

"Co-op sucks in Uncharted 3".

 

You got it wrong, I fixed it. Well done co-op is fine. And it fits better in The Last of Us than a competitive multiplayer, which I still don't know how they're going to approach.

Message 30 of 51 (142 Views)
Reply
0 Likes