Jun 01 2013
By: hyper2for Splicer 59 posts

craft melee upgrade in demo

7 replies 297 views Edited Jun 1, 2013
is possible when playing on normal....just scavenge and open that door with a shiv...if you wanted to try it out Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 8 (297 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
520 posts

Re: craft melee upgrade in demo

Jun 1, 2013

And you can swap the difficulty for hard, just before the action starts.

In easy, there is a metal pipe just as you drop to the action section. It isn't there on hard. I dunno about normal.

In any level, the amount of durability points seems to be the same. The melee upgrades only have one use (both for plank and metal pipe). I guess Joel will upgrade this stuff via training manuals (cause I didn't see a way to upgrade this via pills).

You can upgrade Listen Mode Range. Go under the bridge at the beginning. At the other side there is a purple flower in a vase. It works as 5 pills. You can get +15 later. Withh twenty, you can upgrade Listen Mode.

Message 2 of 8 (247 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

Jun 1, 2013
So this game has skills like an RPG-lite? Someone else mentioned an Escape Clicker skill (use shiv to break away from clicker). And now I see we can upgrade listen mode.

Any idea on other skills that Joel can learn?
Message 3 of 8 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 1, 2013

Ooh, didn't realise you get more stuff on easier difficulties (only played once on Hard so far)... Smiley Happy

The fourth (locked) difficulty may be "really scarce ammo" then? THough I'd like to think they'd up damages from guns (for enemies AND Joel!) at that highest level.

Was disappointed I never got to try crafting anything other than a Medkit, so pleased to hear this... will have to try the demo again on Easy now!

I'm assuming - or rather, hoping - that we'll get at least a few more skills than the handful shown in the skill menu of the demo to unlock. More survival based stuff, I hope!

Message 4 of 8 (232 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
520 posts

Jun 1, 2013

cvbxsta wrote:
So this game has skills like an RPG-lite? Someone else mentioned an Escape Clicker skill (use shiv to break away from clicker). And now I see we can upgrade listen mode.

Any idea on other skills that Joel can learn?

From the top of my head (might be incomplete or incorrect):

Crafting Speed, Healing Speed, Weapon Sway, Maximum Health, Shiv Master (Level 1 is the ability to escape, using a shiv; Level 2 is keeping teh shiv if the shiv has high durabiity... in the demo, shivs only have 1 durability point, anyway). We start the Demo with Level 1 on Shiv Master and Level 1 on Weapon Sway.

Banjo_aus wrote:

Was disappointed I never got to try crafting anything other than a Medkit, so pleased to hear this... will have to try the demo again on Easy now!

I'm assuming - or rather, hoping - that we'll get at least a few more skills than the handful shown in the skill menu of the demo to unlock. More survival based stuff, I hope!

Remember you can turn it to hard, just before th action. On easy, besides the extra material, there is a metal pipe.

As for more skills, remember those are the 'pill skills'. Joel will also get training manuals, which will result in upgrades. So, I'm guessing those are the only 'pill skills', but there will be a bunch more, based on training manuals. I'm almost sure there will be a training manual to increase melee upgrade durability. In the GOWA demo the upgrades have only one durability point, but on Lincoln, the upgrades had 3 points.

Message 5 of 8 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

Jun 1, 2013

Ah! So Pill Skills will be "physical" stuff, most likely (more health, faster crafting, etc.) while Training Manuals might be "new combat moves" type stuff? Are Training Manuals collectable ("find this hidden manual to gain skill/bonus X")? I kinda hope not, as that's almost as unrealistic as Bobbleheads in Fallout 3... would much rather "work" to upgrade my abilities with a point allocation style (Pill Skills) system, picking and choosing. Is there somewhere I can read/learn more about the system planned for TLOU?

Message 6 of 8 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
344 posts

Jun 1, 2013

theres some 2x4 before u drop down the hole on Hard.

sub sig

sig url -

Message 7 of 8 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

Jun 1, 2013

Just tried an Easy playthrough...

modified Metal Pipe = pipe with a small pair of scissors taped to the end of it in a totally ridiculous manner... but it hits pretty gruesomely!!!

Will try wooden stick modified tomorrow (fingers crossed it's a more realistic "spiked club").

Message 8 of 8 (151 Views)
0 Likes