Jul 14 2013
By: WHERES_MY_HOTDOG First Son 27 posts

help me get this all straight please!

12 replies 294 views Edited Jul 14, 2013

so when the game ends (SPOIL ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!)  Joel "lies" to Ellie. my question is: What part of what he said was a lie? because i've heard that there were voice recordings in the hospital that said stuff about there being more people with the infection like Ellie's. i think it said something like 13 more people like her. is that true? and it said that the people that had the same infection as Ellie have had surgery and died, and they still didnt find the cure from the surgery. is any of this true? i didnt find, but one recording in the hospital. Please just explain about the end and what part of Joel's words were lies. whoever comments, thanks a lot! :smileyhappy:

Message 1 of 13 (294 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2893 posts

Re: help me get this all straight please!

Jul 14, 2013
All of it was a lie. The dozens of people immune like her. That they stopped looking for a cure. It was all bs.

Message 2 of 13 (290 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

Jul 14, 2013

why...? if he did tell Ellie that it he did lie, she'd get mad? no. i feel like she'd he ok with it knowing that if he didnt stop the surgery she would have died. but this might be a part of "the last of us 2" if they make one for ps4, he could tell her he lied and she'd get mad at the fact that he said "I swear" when he was lying! but thanks btw!

Message 3 of 13 (287 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

Jul 14, 2013

??

Message 4 of 13 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
85 posts

Jul 14, 2013
I think the bit where Joel says there were dozens of immune people who had the surgery and died was the only true thing that he said, I think.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The worlds been hard on us…hard on him. Joel’s done some terrible things. He tells me that on this journey, you either hang on to your morals and die, or do whatever it takes to survive.”
— Ellie (The Last of Us)
Message 5 of 13 (264 Views)
Wastelander
624 posts

Jul 14, 2013

Joel claims there are dozens of existing immune patients that failed to provide a vaccine regardless of their immunity. This is to convince Ellie that going back is pointless. He also says "They've stopped looking for a cure" which is clearly a lie, this is just to furthermore persuade Ellie that the Fireflies' pursuit of a cure is a lost cause.

If you looked hard enough you'd have found the audio diaries left behind by the doctors studying the cordyceps fungus in humans. In these recordings, they claim to have had 12 or so previous patients that they performed tests on. It's not entirely clear as to whether or not the patients were unique in a sense but I assume they're just regular victims of the infection that they studied. All attempts to cure them failed, they say that the infection ingores administrations of anti-biotics and develops too fast. Joel must have utilised this and merely sugar-coats it for a more convincing arguement.

In the end Ellie is burdened by guilt and admits this to Joel, who reassures her life is still worth living despite of everything that they'd been through. In order to completely diminish her guilt she asks Joel if everything he told her about the Fireflies is true. Joel hesitates but he still says "I swear".   ( The next bit is really left open to interpretation in my opinion ). Ellie takes a second to process everything and comes to the conclusion that Joel is not telling her something about what had occurred in the lab but decides to pretend to trust him in order to have less of a burden of guilt to live with.

That's what I think at least, hope it helps mate :smileyhappy:

Message 6 of 13 (245 Views)
First Son
27 posts

Jul 14, 2013

oh my god.. thanks sooo much, this is exactally what i was looking for. this helped like crazy!!! you the best dooeee!! ahah thanks a  lot :smileyhappy: you explained it amazingly, and the way you put it made perfect sense to me. thanks again ahaha. and do you know if there will be a DLC for the single-player story mode/campaign or if there will be a "last of us 2"? :smileyhappy:)

Message 7 of 13 (223 Views)
Wastelander
624 posts

Jul 14, 2013

Not a problem my good man :smileyhappy:

As for DLC and a sequel, like everyone else I don't know anything concrete but I can offer an opinon...

DLC - Story mode has been mentioned to be a part of the DLC released in the future ( certainly not the near future ), and that's all we know. Rumors have been bounced around, some suggesting the possibility of following ish ( guy that's consistent in numerous collectible artifacts found mid-way through the game ) but with that they'd have to hire a new voice actor and do a ton of new mo-cap vids, which will definitely take time and resources. There was also the idea of encountering a dog and having it become a new companion AI to follow the player, this was scrapped when attempted to be brought up in the final product as the technical difficulties were far too great and would have delayed the game furthermore.  Or they could go with what everyone else seems sure of - following the events that occurred between Joel and Tommy.

The Last of Us 2 - Inevitable if you ask me, Sony will push them and push them until they give in. I'm confident they could pull it off if given the opportunity, but I don't particularly like the idea of it. The story isn't neccessarily open to a sequel, but neither is it conclusive. They couldn't ditch Joel and Ellie in a sequel because they are the faces of The Last of Us, it isn't the same if you drop these two. Their story has technically already been told, unless ND has something major up their sleeve about these characters, a sequel would be more of a cash-grabber than a legitmate experience like the original.

Message 8 of 13 (212 Views)
First Son
27 posts

Jul 14, 2013

dammit, you're amazing at explaining **bleep**. ahaha thanks sooooo much!! :smileyhappy:

Message 9 of 13 (208 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2893 posts

Jul 14, 2013

Lt_K4RL0S wrote:

Joel claims there are dozens of existing immune patients that failed to provide a vaccine regardless of their immunity. This is to convince Ellie that going back is pointless. He also says "They've stopped looking for a cure" which is clearly a lie, this is just to furthermore persuade Ellie that the Fireflies' pursuit of a cure is a lost cause.

If you looked hard enough you'd have found the audio diaries left behind by the doctors studying the cordyceps fungus in humans. In these recordings, they claim to have had 12 or so previous patients that they performed tests on. It's not entirely clear as to whether or not the patients were unique in a sense but I assume they're just regular victims of the infection that they studied. All attempts to cure them failed, they say that the infection ingores administrations of anti-biotics and develops too fast. Joel must have utilised this and merely sugar-coats it for a more convincing arguement.

In the end Ellie is burdened by guilt and admits this to Joel, who reassures her life is still worth living despite of everything that they'd been through. In order to completely diminish her guilt she asks Joel if everything he told her about the Fireflies is true. Joel hesitates but he still says "I swear".   ( The next bit is really left open to interpretation in my opinion ). Ellie takes a second to process everything and comes to the conclusion that Joel is not telling her something about what had occurred in the lab but decides to pretend to trust him in order to have less of a burden of guilt to live with.

That's what I think at least, hope it helps mate :smileyhappy:

hey  man,  which  audio  log  stated  there  were 12  patients? I  have  listened  to  them  over  and  over  and  have  never  run  across  this  info.

Message 10 of 13 (196 Views)
0 Likes