Highlighted
Jun 30 2013
By: HorrorGod PlayStation MVP 4327 posts

"The Last of Us" - Will it really win Game of the Year? (VGA)

111 replies 1326 views Edited Jun 30, 2013

Now that I have gotten to really let "The Last of Us" settle inside my heart and soul, I've been thinking about this all morning.

Us gamers only have 1 true award show. The "VGA's" come every December on SpikeTV.

The judges are made up of various people from different media outlets, so it makes the award show that much more special / meaningful.

Last year the winner was "Telltale's The Walking Dead." Although personally I believed "Journey" was the GOTY, The Walking Dead was an excellent choice as well. I loved the game and it was a multiplatform title. So, I can understand why it was selected (more people got to experience it.) "Journey" was "PS3 Game of the Year," and I'm positive "The Last of Us" will win that award this year, too.

(Note: "Journey" did win overall GOTY from other online sites -- just not at the VGA's.)

But, overall "Game of the Year" -- Do we really think TLOU will take it home? Is there room for back-to-back GOTY titles that involved a grown-man / child companion in a post-apocalyptic world? (I hope so.)

We still have "Grand Theft Auto V" coming out in September. And if that game's story is anything like "Red Dead Redemption," I could honestly see it stealing the GOTY VGA in December. Why? Because it's a safe choice. It's multiplatform and will have had many more gamers playing it.

Don't get me wrong. TLOU is my personal choice for GOTY 2013 (so far) and I was positive "Uncharted 2" would win in 2009 and even RDR in 2010 -- And they did. Even though U2 was a PS3 exclusive, I felt it was better than anything I had played on any console that year. So, it goes to show -- exclusive or not -- if the game is great enough, it can take the GOTY VGA.

What are your thoughts? Are you positive TLOU can / will take home the GOTY VGA? Is it still early to decide? Do you have another personal favorite for GOTY?

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 1 of 112 (1,326 Views)
Sackboy
564 posts

Re: "The Last of Us" - Will it really win Game of the Year? (VGA)

[ Edited ]
Jun 30, 2013

I personally don't think the story of GTA V will be equal to The Last of Us. I mean, it was simply excellent. But however, GTA V could still have very good chances of receiving GOTY, if they actually do it well, but TLoU plot was magnificent in it's own way. GTA V might have different kind of a plot, which might be not as emotional but more action-based. But until GOTY-awards, I have strong faith it will be TLoU. If it won't be GOTY, it's alright. It will be GOTY for me.

I personally want to believe The Last of Us wins it. It's the first game I've had actually emotions with... if you don't count BioShock 2. I liked it's story also; and it was my favorite story-game until The Last of Us.

I have acquired the grade of Master in The Last of Us story/character/game knowledge as I have played it through 9 times.

... I have no life.
Message 2 of 112 (1,314 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

Jun 30, 2013

GTAV will be a better game than TLOU... this i'm sure about.

It will also get GOTY.

Message 3 of 112 (1,280 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
61 posts

Jun 30, 2013

I don't think any game can beat TLOU, but if a game did it either be gta or Watch Dogs.

Message 4 of 112 (1,276 Views)
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 30, 2013

Of course, it is not even discussed!!!  It's obviously!

Message 5 of 112 (1,274 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
595 posts

Jun 30, 2013

I don't think The Last of Us will win game of the year because it's exclusive to the PS3.   That award show will award a game that everyone can play.  So it'll be a multiplatform title like GTA 5 or Bioshock Infinite.

I think The Last of Us was a much better game than Infinite, but I could see infinite winning because everyone loved that game.

Message 6 of 112 (1,253 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
564 posts

Jun 30, 2013

sweetcastlemagic wrote:

I don't think The Last of Us will win game of the year because it's exclusive to the PS3.   That award show will award a game that everyone can play.  So it'll be a multiplatform title like GTA 5 or Bioshock Infinite.

I think The Last of Us was a much better game than Infinite, but I could see infinite winning because everyone loved that game.

Uncharted 3 won GOTY, as I have the GOTY edition.

*nods head*

I believe it means the game won GOTY. I might be wrong as always though. :3

I have acquired the grade of Master in The Last of Us story/character/game knowledge as I have played it through 9 times.

... I have no life.
Message 7 of 112 (1,245 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4079 posts

Jun 30, 2013

sweetcastlemagic wrote:

Exclusives mean nothing, GOTY for most places is usually voted on by many staff members in that group. 

As for it winning, i think it has a high chance to win. I personally think it will come down to that and GTA5

-------------------
Iceyfire's youtube
Message 8 of 112 (1,239 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Jun 30, 2013

Well, nobody believed that The Walking Dead, can win, but nevertheless, they won, I voted. Many of my friends voted. And now, together, we can ensure the victory of The Last of Us. 

Message 9 of 112 (1,237 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
595 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 30, 2013

Exclusives mean nothing, GOTY for most places is usually voted on by many staff members in that group. 

As for it winning, i think it has a high chance to win. I personally think it will come down to that and GTA5

Ok then, that's good because as of right now The Last of Us is my GOTY by a mile.  It deserves to win.  After the overrated GTA4, I doubt GTA5 will be better.  Last of Us goty imo

Message 10 of 112 (1,232 Views)
0 Likes