Highlighted
Jan 07 2013
By: calcunnon Treasure Hunter 5546 posts

"Turf War" - A Competitive Objective Mode Idea

[ Edited ]
22 replies 439 views Edited Jan 7, 2013

Hi all. Another idea, another new thread. It's not like we've got mods to control it anyway Smiley Happy

Here's an idea for a mode I had that I'm calling "Turf War". It's been inspired in part by the Fort takeovers in Assassin Creed 3's single player campaign. My idea works under certain assumptions of the The Last of Us:

Assumptions

- The game will feature a competitive multiplayer

- Ammo will be scarce, so the game isn't just another chaotic 'shooter'

- Respawn times are long (say, 30 seconds minimum?) so that there are game-affecting consequences to getting killed. This way it's not a spam-fest and people think about their actions.

Turf War: Overview

Brief story: Two groups of survivors have lived in neighbouring areas of a town and there have been problems between them. They're now after each others territory.

The basic idea is simple: The game is played on a large map, and each team 'owns' one half of the map. Each team must perform various objectives to conquer the opposition's side of the map. Once a team has overtaken the opposing side, they have won.

Objective 1: Intel

Each team must find the 'intel' (This could just be a piece of paper) on the opposing team's side of the map. An indicator shows your team where to find it, but you can't see the indicator to your own intel, so you can't be sure where to guard it (the position of the intel would be randomised each game). Once found, this unlocks the next objective.

Objective 2: Supplies

Now that you have the intel, a new indicator pops up showing you where the other team keeps their supplies. Unlike the previous mode, you can see where your own supplies are kept, so that you may defend them. This objective works just like Capture The Flag in that you need to get the other teams supplies back to your base whilst preventing them from taking yours. Once you've got their supplies, every member of the team is rewarded with an extra clip of ammo and a bandage, and the next objective opens up.

Objective 3: Communication

Also provided in the supplies was a home-made explosive. There is only one, and any team member can pick it up or put it down, to pass to another team member. This explosive can only be used on one thing - the opposition's communications technology (a transceiver). An indicator pops up to show where it's hidden, and (as with the previous round) you can see where your own one is, too, so that you may defend it. The objective is to place the explosive on the transceiver and wait 30 seconds for it to explode. During this time, the defending team may defuse it, so you'll need to keep watch to make sure it goes off. If defused, you'll have to grab another explosive from your base (one respawns there at this point) and try again. Once successful, the opposing team can no longer communicate via headset unless they're within a certain proximity of each other, and then the final objective can be undertaken.

Objective 4: Capture The Leader

The current highest-scoring member of the opposition is now marked by an indicator. The objective is to take the leader alive (via a melee attack, which knocks them out). Killing the leader (i.e using a weapon against them) results in the opposition being rewarded an extra clip of ammo, so you have to be sure not to go all-guns-blazing. When the leader is captured, the game is over, and the capturing team wins.

Afterthoughts

The beauty of this mode is that rather than timed 'rounds', the objectives have to be completed in order, and a team cannot advance to the next objective without completing the current one. That means that Team A might be on Objective 3 whilst Team B is still on Objective 1.

That's my idea. Hope you like it. Any improvements?

Message 1 of 23 (439 Views)
Lombax Warrior
184 posts

Re: "Turf War" - A Competitive Objective Mode Idea

Jan 7, 2013
Good idea. Sounds similar to a game mode I once played in max Payne 3 and that was fun. With the assumption of low ammo and melee combat heavy focus that could be awesome!
Message 2 of 23 (430 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5546 posts

Jan 7, 2013

Ah yeah there was a mode called Gang Wars on Max Payne 3. Those were mostly kill-based objectives though.

I hope my assumptions are correct! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 23 (424 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3614 posts

Jan 7, 2013

calcunnon wrote:

Objective 1: Intel

Each team must find the 'intel' (This could just be a piece of paper) on the opposing team's side of the map. An indicator shows your team where to find it, but you can't see the indicator to your own intel, so you can't be sure where to guard it (the position of the intel would be randomised each game). Once found, this unlocks the next objective.

Objective 3: Communication

Also provided in the supplies was a home-made explosive. There is only one, and any team member can pick it up or put it down, to pass to another team member. This explosive can only be used on one thing - the opposition's communications technology (a transceiver). An indicator pops up to show where it's hidden, and (as with the previous round) you can see where your own one is, too, so that you may defend it. The objective is to place the explosive on the transceiver and wait 30 seconds for it to explode. During this time, the defending team may defuse it, so you'll need to keep watch to make sure it goes off. If defused, you'll have to grab another explosive from your base (one respawns there at this point) and try again. Once successful, the opposing team can no longer communicate via headset unless they're within a certain proximity of each other, and then the final objective can be undertaken.

Afterthoughts

The beauty of this mode is that rather than timed 'rounds', the objectives have to be completed in order, and a team cannot advance to the next objective without completing the current one. That means that Team A might be on Objective 3 whilst Team B is still on Objective 1.

That's my idea. Hope you like it. Any improvements?

So whilst looking for the sheet of the paper Team B also defend their transciever?
Do you feel me?

Message 4 of 23 (415 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5546 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 7, 2013

duke_of_platypus wrote:
So whilst looking for the sheet of the paper Team B also defend their transciever?

Yep!

As with modes like Capture the Flag, there'll need to be people in the team who choose to go out and take care of the offense, whilst people stay at base and defend their territory.

Also, Team B doesn't really need to 'look for' the Intel because its location is indicated. That first objective should be a pretty quick one.

Message 5 of 23 (410 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
11218 posts

Jan 7, 2013
This is what I want.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 6 of 23 (404 Views)
Splicer
55 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 7, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:
This is what I want.

Not much more to say than that. This is the kind of multiplayer I'm hoping for.

Message 7 of 23 (394 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
282 posts

Jan 7, 2013

or there wont be any respawn and people will be very careful.

if you have ever played socom 4 multiplayer, there was an option where there weren't any respawns.  That mode had people playing, but they were hard to find because everyone was extremely careful and took their time.

I hope TLOU multiplayer is similar to Socom 4 in the aspect of having alot of options to where a player can customize their own rules for a game.  I dont understand why developers don't offer more options in the hands of users.  The more options there are to turn on/ off , the more a user can customize their game, the more happier everyone is.

This does sound like alot of fun though. 

Message 8 of 23 (388 Views)
Fender Bender
2562 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 7, 2013

This is exactly what I want! The only "improvements" I'd offer would be to make it more of a mission to build things and focus more on scavenging to help the team. For instance, isntead of a bomb just appearing, you have to collect the materials first, and you can only collect enough for one bomb at a time. You also need to find bandages and what not throughout the map to heal your teammates.

And with no respawns Smiley Tongue At least, no respawns per objective. As in, if you die, you only have the option to spectate on the remaining teammates until they complete the next objective.

Message 9 of 23 (372 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
328 posts

Jan 7, 2013
I really like this and a lot of the other ideas people have put out there. They all have one thing in common with each other - Nobody wants another boring mindless team deathmatch set up. I sure hope Naughty Dog is on the same page as you all are. I remember having discussions like this before UC3's multiplayer was unveiled. Then we ended up with call of duty in 3rd person.
Message 10 of 23 (359 Views)