Lombax Warrior
153 posts

Re: so what do you guys think of grounded mode?

May 18, 2014

Personally, loved Grounded EXCEPT for the parts others are mentioning, which are the sewers and the Ellie/David fight against the infected. 

No enemy in the sewer dropped ammo for me. None. I actually had to restart the chapter because on the last section, I had 1 molotov, 3 bullets, a melee weapon, and a brick. It was impossible, literally. It wasn't enough supplies to get through. Thinking the enemies would drop ammo...I kept on trying and trying. After about 15 tries, I realized they were never going to drop ammo. I quit out and restarted the chapter, totally skipped the Sam/Joel section by running through it (somehow...took me about 5 tries to get to the end without wasting anything), and when I got to the section again, I still had only 3 bullets...but I had 2 molotovs this time. After another dozen or so tries, I got through it. That entire section was undoubtly cheap, though. Very, very, very poorly designed and is in no way difficult for the right reasons. 

The Ellie fight wasn't as bad for me, as the enemies dropped ammo. It took me over a dozen tries, still, and the game froze on me during my time with the bloater, causing me to restart yet again, but after a while I was able to get a rythym down, especially considering the enemies dropped ammo. The fight was very tough, but it did not feel cheap like the sewers.

ND should really consider the sewer part in grounded mode. They need to give the players more supplies in that part, or at least have 1-2 enemies drop ammo. It is possible to get stuck there and not have a chance to continue without restarting the whole chapter and managing your supplies to the point where you don't use anything until that fight (which is tough, especially considering the Sam/Joel section). Seriously, though, you can get stuck...meaning no ammo/supplies...and you have to melee like 6 infected in close quarters...2 of which are clickers. That's what happened the first time I got to the end of that chapter. You can't do it, as because of the close proximity, the moment you melee one dude, the animation takes to long and another comes up and kills you.

I hated that section. So. Freaking. Much.  

Message 21 of 31 (850 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
165 posts

May 18, 2014

I gotta say that this new mode literally made Single player way more difficult than I can imagine.

Even though it sounds crazy, but I actually found this really fun. It took me an hour to get through the hotel building and I had to make some difficult choices.

There was a group of hunters patrolling the rooms, these rooms have supplies... after  alot of tries catching the supplies. My stealth skills always kill me, it literally scary to face hunters now...

And even when I managed to survive, there's still a whole floor of enemies above... and I failed. Although it **bleep** me off to start everythign again, it certainly adds that feel of realisim...

Just when i thought i done the worse part... the hotel basement was... unsettling. I actually tend to fear stalkers...

I was literally stuck in a room waiting for one of them to come and attack and even their attacks are ruthless. One wrong hit and bam! You're dead!

I can't wait to progress, it really adds the true limitations of survial and you really gonna rely on your skills with stealth and aim...

I'm glad ND added this despite it being a bluff higher in the options for increase damage on enemies and less health on Joel.

I keep getting injured and it really a bich not knowing if you'r health is halfway down or almost full. You just never know if you're wasting all your supplies to heal yourself.

The call for a companion in a post-apocalypse is needed in order to survive and die together with.
Message 22 of 31 (825 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

May 20, 2014

I had every intention of playing through Grounded Mode twice for the trophies, and had very few problems through the first section of the game.  I had to retry the infected room in the office tower a handful of times, but that is no big deal.  That part is always a little rough on Survivor as well.

Then I got to Bill's fridge trap.  Previously, even in Survivor, I would conquer this trap by waiting patiently for the Runners to grab me.  I'd struggle with them and then Joel would shove them away.  Taking aim with the gun at this point would score an automatic headshot.  This was true even on Survivor, as I said.  In Grounded however?  If the Runners reach you they insta-kill you.  I tried it a few times, but I have no idea how to pass this part without that auto-heatshot trick.  Between the swaying and the jolting movements of the infected, I consider it impossible for myself.

Oh well, don't need the Grounded trophies, and am unfortunately finding the game a little boring this time around (it would be my six playthrough).

Message 23 of 31 (767 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
28 posts

May 20, 2014

You know you have infinite ammo during the Snare, right?

Message 24 of 31 (764 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
6879 posts

May 20, 2014

MaidenVelka wrote:

I had every intention of playing through Grounded Mode twice for the trophies, and had very few problems through the first section of the game.  I had to retry the infected room in the office tower a handful of times, but that is no big deal.  That part is always a little rough on Survivor as well.

Then I got to Bill's fridge trap.  Previously, even in Survivor, I would conquer this trap by waiting patiently for the Runners to grab me.  I'd struggle with them and then Joel would shove them away.  Taking aim with the gun at this point would score an automatic headshot.  This was true even on Survivor, as I said.  In Grounded however?  If the Runners reach you they insta-kill you.  I tried it a few times, but I have no idea how to pass this part without that auto-heatshot trick.  Between the swaying and the jolting movements of the infected, I consider it impossible for myself.

Oh well, don't need the Grounded trophies, and am unfortunately finding the game a little boring this time around (it would be my six playthrough).

that parts rather easy, knowing that all the runners die in 2 shots and roughly halfway through that sequence you are pulled up even more, making it impossible for you to die(Elilie still can I think) as they can't reach you.

Oh, I'm just leaving. -Best Uncharted character ever
Message 25 of 31 (756 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
32 posts

May 21, 2014
I have no real opinion on the mode, considering I can't make it out of the capitol building, due to a game-breaking bug of some sort. The exit through the flooded subway never renders, so I am stuck staring at a brightly illuminated hole in the wall. So glad I spent 5$ or whatever it was on this.
Message 26 of 31 (716 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
776 posts

May 21, 2014

That sounds like a problem with the game itself, not the DLC...

Do you have disc or digital? Try cleaning the disc if so. That's typically what ND says anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBcWPc6U5nM
Message 27 of 31 (708 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
32 posts

May 21, 2014
I own the disc, and I have done everything I could think of. Cleaned it, deleted the save data, tried it again. It wasn't ever like this until I tried Grounded mode. At first, when I began Grounded, I made it to Bill's town, up the point when the clicker walks into one of Bill's tripwire traps. Walked down that alleyway, turned the corner, and BAM! Nothing was rendered past the guy who had arrows stuck in his back.

I should mention this happened a LONG time ago when I first owned the game(July of 2013), when I first got to Pittsburgh. Right after that crafting table, when you open that door in front of that heaping pile of corpses. Nothing was rendered. Somehow, that got fixed. This here though...this is just unreal. Those soldiers that guard the exit to the capitol(I think there are 6 of them), they don't even MOVE. I can literally walk up behind them all and stealth kill them, and the rest just stand there, awaiting the same treatment. However, if I die at that point(which I have tried to do with a molotov, just to reset me to a checkpoint), there is no sound when Joel dies, and the "hint screen" that accompanies a death will not allow me to choose X to continue. It make very well be my disc, but this ONLY occurs on grounded mode. I tried it on Easy to test, and it worked. So I am at my wits end.

/rant
Message 28 of 31 (704 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
28 posts

May 21, 2014

Consider deleting your Game Data, backup your saves, reinstalling all DLC and Chapter Select to the beginning of the Capitol chapter.

Message 29 of 31 (699 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
282 posts

May 22, 2014

Message 30 of 31 (683 Views)
0 Likes