Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 10 2014
By: PeteX19 Uncharted Territory 1834 posts

3 things that puts me off ND's multiplayer experiences

54 replies 837 views Edited May 10, 2014

I've been playing Naughty Dog games since crash and have sunk hundreds of hours into their multiplayer experiences since Uncharted 2. Over this time you notice a few design choices that overlap between each product and there's three which have put  me off their games since UC2.

1) Matchmaking

I barely play in parties and the reason for this is that it's a hassle. Here's a list of what usually happens and this has been through UC2, UC3, TLOU

Takes longer to find a game.

Team mate gets left in the lobby

Team mate gets put in a different match

Team mate gets put on the other team

I get dropped randomly during the match

Team mate gets dropped randomly during the match

Mics stop working so communication is lost

All these make me wonder why I even bother trying to play with friends. We waste so much time trying to make it through one match online it seems a pointless endevour. The big problem is my next point is what has forced me to have to put up with having to play in groups.

2) DLC designed for money and not for the players enjoyment

This is related mainly to maps. If you look at how Naughty Dog has handled map implementation into the multiplayer thus far they have fail to notice they're not COD. They have never had the player base to support the current way they allow you to play these maps.

Now I understand ND and sony suits want to make money from map packs but the problems that follows makes these maps a sub par experience compared to the maps that come on the disc. During the Uncharted days the issue was there wasn't enough players in the DLC lobby to find matches and when you did the lag was far worse. It was only until ND made them free that they became viable but by then the large majority of the player base had moved on.

In TLOU this problem overlaps with my first point. Uncharted had FFA which meant I could play on my own and actually enjoy the game. TLOU has 'No party' lobbies which improved the experience for me ten fold. However the new maps don't have this because the player base is to small to allow for that option on DLC maps. 

I pay for maps knowing I'm forced to play them against parties, experience worse lag and generally have to deal with more BS just so I can see the new maps in action. 

The only people paided DLC maps benefit are the suits who came up with this DLC business model for Call of Duty where there it actually works because of the large player base. The Sony suits followed along expecting the same results but TLOU suffers greatly for it and we have to go into every DLC match expecting to have a worse experience overall.

At least free to play games and surprising killzone have taken the right direction. Let's see if ND does with Uncharted 4.

3) The triangle button

This has haunted ND's multiplayer since UC3. ND are adament that the game deciding what the triangle button does is the best option with the current control scheme. I can tell you again having 3-4 options on one button is infuriating. Any player who plays ND games could list dozens of times they expect one option to happen and another happens which ends up with them getting killed.

Why any melee action is associated with the triangle button is beyond me. If I have a shiv in TLOU and want to execute a player from behind why am I pressing triangle and not square to complete this action? Any melee action should be on the square button. Triangle is for interacting with the environment, opening boxes, opening doors, picking up items off the floor. 

I immediately get taken out the experience when the game is deciding for me what a button does and when the answer has been clear since Uncharted 3 beta, it's frustrating to say the least to see this terrible design decision last so long.

===============

No skill one hit kill weapons

This last one isn't in the main three because I do put it down to personal preference. This is about one hit kill weapons that require no skill and when I say this I'm talking about quick boom from Uncharted and what I would argue is even worse the molotov cocktail in TLOU

Going back to MW2 there was the infamous noob tube. A way for players to get kills with no effort at all and it made the MP feel more like a joke than it should of done. Fast forward to now where COD doesn't have that anymore, the remnants of poor design decisions have been picked up by other developers who seem to have not got the memo.

I feel I have a pretty good grasp on how to take on another player in a gunfight. It's the exciting part of going one on one against another player and outsmarting them to win. It's even better still when you take out multiple opponents.

The issue with molotov cocktails is they completely remove that feeling. They give a solution that bypasses any skill and whether you're good at the game or not you can kill an enemy by simply tapping R1. That'sall it takes and for me it makes me want to stop playing all together. The best way I can describe it is that you were the best boxer in the world, you have trained for years and know every trick in the book but in the rules of a ND game your opponent is allowed to enter the boxing ring with a gun. 

It's almost sad when you can see how much effort has gone into balancing the guns in TLOU and none of it matters when you actually play online because it's always going to be the team that crafts the most molotovs that wins.

=================

I've grown tired of trying to ignore these design decisions and last night I put down the controller and thought why do I even play these type of games anymore. 

Uncharted & The Last of Us Tutorials

www.youtube.com/user/SyncingShip
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 55 (837 Views)
Fender Bender
2812 posts

Re: 3 things that puts me off ND's multiplayer experiences

[ Edited ]
May 10, 2014

Excellent post.

The problem with Sony/ND suits is that they don't play their own games in their free time, therefore they don't realize the implications of a fragmented pool. This isn't Call of Duty and ND games will never be as popular as CoD/BF. #truthfact

The only way to realize that is to lock them up in a room and force them to play 12 hours/day against MEX/BRA/ARG/CHLE/KSA/JPN parties. #torture

White plug is fair: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/What-does-the-blinking-white-plug-mean-and-why-is-it-disrupting/m-p/44241158/highlight/true#M106983
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 55 (805 Views)
Fender Bender
3564 posts

May 10, 2014

Well thought out and I agree with all of your points. I hate party splits and laggy lobbies. I hate tiny player pools because of the paid DLC segregation. And the Triangle button has always been an issue (especially when it doesn't do the action indicated by the icon on the screen).

I hate 1HK weapons too. They can be a very big problem if they are too easy and/or too plentiful. Almost all online MPs have these things. Some do it way better than others. As long as there is some skill involved in using the 1HK weapon or a limit on its ammo/uses, I don't mind them. TLOU makes you have to craft the item and randomizes the chances of getting the neccesary parts to get one made. The skill to use it is low, but at least it isn't as easy as SP. If I wen't game after game with 2+ mollies, I'd be worried. But I go several games without getting a single one. On average I get 1-2 per match. So do most players in my experience. It's not the RPG or QB from U3. It's not the "noob-tube" from MW1-2. I think the molotov is fine.

The real complaint should be about the Welfare System giving too many of these 1HK/1HD options to players who played like crap

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 55 (799 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1050 posts

May 10, 2014
Triangle Powur

#illuminatihype
"You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose. But you can't pick your friends nose"
~ Billy, from Grim Adventures Of Billy And Mandy
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 55 (701 Views)
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

May 10, 2014

IMO it's melee system, lag and hit detection. They really need to work on these stuffs.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 55 (668 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Host
8272 posts

May 10, 2014
^melee system?

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 55 (666 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
59 posts

May 10, 2014

Yeah if there is one option I'd like to see going forward for not just ND games but all Sony mp games is for everyone to get access to all multiplayer maps.  Charge for hats, skills, single player dlc and whatever else, but keep the entire player base intact.  It is the main reason why I am looking so much forward to the ps4 edition of the game.

Get Your Portable ID!

Twitter: @ctait002
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 55 (639 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1834 posts

May 10, 2014

xxBLiTZKREIGxx wrote:

Well thought out and I agree with all of your points. I hate party splits and laggy lobbies. I hate tiny player pools because of the paid DLC segregation. And the Triangle button has always been an issue (especially when it doesn't do the action indicated by the icon on the screen).

I hate 1HK weapons too. They can be a very big problem if they are too easy and/or too plentiful. Almost all online MPs have these things. Some do it way better than others. As long as there is some skill involved in using the 1HK weapon or a limit on its ammo/uses, I don't mind them. TLOU makes you have to craft the item and randomizes the chances of getting the neccesary parts to get one made. The skill to use it is low, but at least it isn't as easy as SP. If I wen't game after game with 2+ mollies, I'd be worried. But I go several games without getting a single one. On average I get 1-2 per match. So do most players in my experience. It's not the RPG or QB from U3. It's not the "noob-tube" from MW1-2. I think the molotov is fine.

The real complaint should be about the Welfare System giving too many of these 1HK/1HD options to players who played like crap

Playing the DLC I have to deal with at least 3 molotovs per match. 

No adjust to the welfare system will sort the molotov because it still remains a 1HK weapon.

@bamf26 Since we have to pay for PSN on the PS4 that should be a reality. I'm hoping KZ isn't a one off case.

Uncharted & The Last of Us Tutorials

www.youtube.com/user/SyncingShip
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 55 (623 Views)
Fender Bender
2812 posts

May 10, 2014

bamf26 wrote:

Yeah if there is one option I'd like to see going forward for not just ND games but all Sony mp games is for everyone to get access to all multiplayer maps.  Charge for hats, skills, single player dlc and whatever else, but keep the entire player base intact.  It is the main reason why I am looking so much forward to the ps4 edition of the game.

Amen!

I already see a new business model in KZ-SF and TLOU:RE, so I reckon that all PS4 1st party games will follow suit.

It's fine to charge for microtransactions, as long as you don't ruin people's fun by splitting the pool up. Sony/ND could make a fortune if they sold skins like Joel/Tess or Rika/Pinkerton.

White plug is fair: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/What-does-the-blinking-white-plug-mean-and-why-is-it-disrupting/m-p/44241158/highlight/true#M106983
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 55 (618 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3564 posts

May 10, 2014
Agree to disagree on the molotov's power. I see just as many moliie misses as I do hits.

My issues have always been Lag #1
Welfare #2

Everything else seems pretty balanced to me.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 55 (614 Views)