Fender Bender
2562 posts

Re: 4 player Co-op whit the infected! for god sake

[ Edited ]
Dec 5, 2013

The ai tracking was such a mess in single player and they only ever went after one player, it would probably be even more of a mess in coop.

Still, this game basically begged for coop since that first 2011 vga reveal. I'll still look at it as a huge bummer that coop never made it in final release and I'm not surprised at the continuous requests for it.

edit: what if the left behind DLC is coop  - plot twist

oh god i can dream

Message 21 of 40 (168 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1531 posts

Dec 5, 2013
Yeah, I'd just assumed from everything I'd seen that there'd be a co-op mode. It just seemed obvious that their would be.

And the dlc was surprising enough on its own. I'm not sure how it's going to work out, since Ellie isn't really strong enough to be a player character until late into the main story. Also, wasn't the story for this dlc already done as a comic book? Kindof disappointing that it's not something new.
Message 22 of 40 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
7110 posts

Dec 5, 2013

Was totally crossing my fingers for The Adventures of Ish

Oh, I'm just leaving. -Best Uncharted character ever
Message 23 of 40 (153 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1531 posts

Dec 5, 2013
I'm pretty sure a lot of people were hugely disappointed that it wasn't about Ish. I know I was ._.
Message 24 of 40 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Dec 5, 2013

Bizzerker_Bauer wrote:
Also, wasn't the story for this dlc already done as a comic book? Kindof disappointing that it's not something new.

not really, the comics didn't explain a whole lot at all, for instance

Spoiler
I was expecting the comics to explain how riley died and how ellie got infected, but none of that happened in the comics. Instead, it's just basically "how ellie met riley" if anything the comics are the prelude to the DLC - which is most likely going to detail how Ellie got bit and what exactly happened to riley. I think it's going to be more story and emotional based than gunsblazing.

sanddude20 wrote:

Was totally crossing my fingers for The Adventures of Ish

we all were Smiley Sad

Message 25 of 40 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1531 posts

Dec 5, 2013
I'm sure it'll be heavily story based. I'm just not sure how they'll be pulling off the stealth and shooting in any capacity when Ellie doesn't even learn how to use a weapon until she meets Joel. I suppose Riley could potentially be the PC for the dlc, but that'd be that'd just be piling onto the disappointment of learning that the dlc won't be based on Ish.
Message 26 of 40 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
7110 posts

Dec 5, 2013

your main weapon as Ellie is gonna be a BB gun.

Oh, I'm just leaving. -Best Uncharted character ever
Message 27 of 40 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
685 posts

Dec 5, 2013

@Brunis_97...

>**bleep** is rong with you, coop vs infected would be so awesome, you dont know what can make a game even better

What is rong (wrong) with me?

What is wrong with me is that I’d rather have a coop mode that is more engaging than a basic survival mode.  I think ND can do better (but likely in a later game or franchise which I’m okay with).  I sincerely feel that a horde mode in the current TLoU would be a huge disappointment…even to those that want one (and ND knows it).

>man i really want a coop vs infected, that would be awesome play whit only 4 friends againts those things, but how ND cant think about something like this?!

I’d love to have a coop mode but an infected horde mode?

ND has cited technical limitations…I don’t think that’s the whole story but I believe it’s a big part of it.  Let’s suppose they overcome the limitations (say, by reducing the graphics resolution, frame rates or dumbing down the AI so the gameplay doesn’t grind to a halt in later rounds – maybe all three) – how do a handful of players deal with dozens of infected?  You have Runners, Stalkers, Clickers and Bloaters.  Under the current game mechanics, a huge part of dealing with the infected is stealth…in a horde mode, stealth doesn’t generally come into play.  Traditionally in a horde-type game mode, firepower plays a huge part while melee is a last resort.

I don’t imagine that 4 players (even 5 or 6) are going to last long against increasing numbers of infected with the status quo (material scarcity and the current focus on stealth/melee) – the whole point of a horde mode is to see how long you can last.  So how do you compensate?  Some things they could do:

• Abandon (at least partially) the apocalyptic scarcity theme and have greater availability of stuff (ammo, craftable supplies and maybe even melee weapons that don’t have hit points like Ellie’s knife).
  • Change the nature of the infected so there are easier/more ways to effectively deal with them.  For instance, maybe for all infected other than bloaters, you can melee them more easily.
  • Compromise on the look and feel of the game…as previously mentioned, dumb down the AI, reduce graphics resolution and/or frame rates.
  • Possibly all of the above and others I haven’t considered or thought of.

So now you have a horde mode that works after a fashion but is likely a disappointment to many and at what cost?  A game mode that’s been done in many other games and because of their mechanics, would still be better.  I adore coop modes but I’d rather wait for them to implement something properly.  I’m not sure a TLoU sequel is in the cards but I think a horde mode on PS4 would be better (and certainly more viable).

Message 28 of 40 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1531 posts

Dec 5, 2013
They DID throw scarcity out the window for the level in that shack with David. Wave after wave of clickers and they ALL had HR ammo. It was also a pretty big tease for a horde mode.
Message 29 of 40 (182 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
685 posts

Dec 5, 2013

Maybe I just suck, but I didn’t find the part with David particularly easy and I ran out of items/ammo many times.  Would that represent an early or later round in horde mode?

I laid out my reasoning why I don’t think it would work and/or ND is not considering it.  If people still want a horde mode and think it would be a great gaming experience, more power to you.

Message 30 of 40 (175 Views)
0 Likes