Jul 17 2013
By: houmie First Son 17 posts

Binding purchaseable weapons to clan size?

21 replies 202 views Edited Jul 17, 2013

This game is both on single player and multiplayer simply magnificent. Yet some improvements in the multiplayer can make it even a greater game. The game is crying out loud for more weapons and tactics.

Right now the majority of 50% are carrying a Semi-Auto gun.  30% are carrying a bow, 15% are carrying a hunting rifle.  Burst rifles are about 5%, at least in games I have been playing.

Purchasable weapons don't cut it for three reasons.  Not only they cost load points, but they are also very expensive and not that particulary powerful.

A el-Diablo gun costs 320 parts with three bullets.  I had cases where I had to shoot three times on someone's torso and he still survived it.  Even if I had him down, I would have gotten 110 parts back.  I would be left with less money to buy more ammunition for the weapon. I have very similar experiences with the flamethrower and shotgun. It's just not worth it.

In other words, the purchasable weapons don't make you invincible at all. Barely anyone bothers with them. So why not simply including them in the normal game? Perhaps adjust the load points, nerf where needed and include them according to the clan size.

If your clan has reached size 50 you are allowed to choose the shotgun in your gear up mode.  If you fall below, it will be disabled. if you eached size 75 etc...

That would give the players more incentive to increase the population of their camps and the games become more interesting with having more weapons and more tactics in place.

A lot of new tactics can be introduced, such as scorching the campers with flamethrower with fire power support. etc

More weapons add variety and makes the multiplayer live longer...

Also the 12 weeks campaign needs to continue once you successfully beat it. How hard is it to add a number of new comic still shots in there with some new lines in story telling?

Message 1 of 22 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6245 posts

Re: Binding purchaseable weapons to clan size?

Jul 17, 2013

you arent meant to be able to maintain purchaseables throughout the whole game since they are power weapons in a way. sure its possible to do so, but isnt common. they are meant for a couple easy kills, and always being able to make up the ammo for just kills  will make them way ti common to use.

photo Sniper.png
Message 2 of 22 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
679 posts

Jul 17, 2013

Regarding purchasable weapons (PW)…I think the current mechanic is just fine.  From my perspective, adding a PW to my loadout wastes loadout points and just dilutes my in game spending power.  The points saved from not adding a PW can be better used elsewhere, in my opinion…that’s the great thing about this game, it’s up to you.  Instead, I spend my in game cash on upgrading my core weapons and buying ammo for them.  It’s all a tradeoff…

If you don’t think Purchasable Weapons are worth it (I certainly don’t…once you’ve gotten a few easy kills with them, you’re left with an expensive paperweight), don’t put them in your loadout.  I don’t and I regularly have a core weapon (not both…I rarely get that much cash) that’s fully upgraded and for which I have 20 to 40 bullets.

Message 3 of 22 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
679 posts

Jul 17, 2013

Regarding binding to clan size, I disagree.  There are many of us that don’t care that much about clan meta game and frankly, it would be a royal pain to have to play with your loadouts nearly every match because your clan is too small, too big…constantly changing.  Simplicity is beautiful.

I think the loadout system is perfect for the flavour of the game.  The world of TLOU is about deprivation…it should be a struggle to create a workable loadout (for me, that’s a BIG part of the fun)…just as it is a struggle to survive (let alone thrive).

Message 4 of 22 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16348 posts

Jul 17, 2013
I'm seeing the automatic rifle quite often. Well, hearing it is more accurate.
But I do not use purchasables, myself, I find the money better spent upgrading my standard.

The Biggest Lies

5.) The hats aren't the surprise.
4.) Mods knows what they're doing.
3.) It doesn't fit the world paradigm.
2.) I'm not in it for the money.
1.) The player pool will be consolidated.

Message 5 of 22 (158 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Jul 17, 2013

Well thats the whole point.  5 people have posted after me and no one is using the PW.  And you think the current system is not broken? Shouldn't the game be in a way so that we actually use them? 

Are you happy with just 3 main weapons used 95% of the times?  And seriously I don't think PW's are equal to easy kill at all. They aren't that powerful or special.

Message 6 of 22 (145 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16348 posts

Jul 17, 2013
I'm happy with the five main weapons (sar, hr, burst, bow and pistol only option).

I'm happy with the use of purchasables, yes.

The Biggest Lies

5.) The hats aren't the surprise.
4.) Mods knows what they're doing.
3.) It doesn't fit the world paradigm.
2.) I'm not in it for the money.
1.) The player pool will be consolidated.

Message 7 of 22 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3643 posts

Jul 17, 2013
I used to use the full auto rifle (because its a BEAST) but it costs a lot and ammo runs out quickly. So I typically just upgrade my semi auto now. But making PWs cheaper in any way will hurt the game. I don't want that kind of change.
Message 8 of 22 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
679 posts

Jul 17, 2013

Nope…I don’t think it’s broken.  Just because few people use purchasable weapons doesn’t mean the system is broken.  Same as if everyone (or nearly everyone) uses something doesn’t mean it’s right or fair (I’m thinking of blindfiring in Uncharted 3).  I’d hazard a guess that the two are related in that both are intended to give new players a chance to get a few kills.  The problem with blindfiring is that it totally unbalanced the Uncharted game because talented players could use it to lay waste to their opponents.  I suspect that purchasable weapons are balanced the way they are precisely so that talented/experience players cannot dominate with them and will naturally move onto other weapons.  To me, this is big picture game balance and design and I’m more than fine with it…I want the game to stay the way it is.

I choose not to use them because it doesn’t make sense for me.  I DID use purchasable weapons when I first started because they were easy kills, then as I got better, I discovered I could get more downs and executions with the core weapons.

Message 9 of 22 (129 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Jul 17, 2013

Revolver with no secondary weapon and then a purchasable shotgun is simply bad-*ss. The shells might be expensive but, dam are they powerful. You pretty much down people with 1 shell in CQC. It's a great counter against nail bats as well.

Message 10 of 22 (111 Views)
0 Likes