Highlighted
Nov 29 2013
By: foofighter2634 Uncharted Territory 1210 posts
Accepted Solution

Bow help

[ Edited ]
44 replies 311 views Edited Nov 29, 2013

I haven't found any other post which really goes into detail about the bow, so maybe if there is one, you can direct me there as well.

I usually use the SAR and Revolver but I finally want to get some skill with the bow. I know it is a comletely different weapon and hard to master, but maybe you can help me with it.

I am an OK shot with the SAR and other weapons, but with the bow I have a really hard time getting hits on enemies which are a bit farer away and especially moving, even on shorter and mid-range distance. I mean, I FEEL that I am spot on with my aim and also see the white dot, but then the arrow misses because the enemy is moving a bit after my arrow leaves the bow. I read something about travel time of the arrow, so you need to anticipate where your enemy is moving, and shoot a bit in front of him. Is that true? If yes, how much? Is it if I didn't wait long enough before letting my arrow go?

Are there any general tips and tricks from some pro bow users that could help me? I mainly want to become a better shot, I already know some basic strategic things. I mean things like:

- Stay hidden

- Pop-Out shots and hide again so the enemy does not know where the shot came from (basically like a sniper)

- Don't get into direct fights with a SAR user as he is quicker

- Practice, practice, ... (yeah I am doing that atm Smiley Happy )

I already had 3 games where everything went well and I had a 14-14-1-3 result. But that was when I was able to flank the enemy perfectly multiple times, there was not that much bow "skill" involved as the enemies were crouching 1 feet in front of me with their back facing me. So I just needed to pick them up and shiv the last one trying to revive afterwards or give em a bomb/mollie. Then another fine mollie here and there and a bit of luck (bulls-eye) and it was as pretty much good game.

I also noticed that there are maps which are bad for a bow and stealth in general because there is too much open space you have to cross and good sniper/overview positions to spot you like on lakeside, also on Downtown. I try to use the bow and my stealth class there but I am mostly not doing well.

It is working out pretty well on most other maps though, I haven't tried the new ones yet because I don't want to go against teams yet.

So my loadout atm is something like:

Revolver (because I know I am reliable with it, if I am in a bad spot)

Bow

Covert 2

Brawler 2

First Aid 1

I am still varying, but that are the essentials.

I'd like to use the Shortie as well, but I am not experienced with it yet so I still use the Revolver as I know that I can use it in any case, long or short distance. If I am ready with the bow, I will try the Shorty too as I think it fits the Bow nicely. For now I rely on my Revolver and Brawler for short range.

Yeah... any suggestions appreciated!

Art by Janice Chu
Message 1 of 45 (311 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
267 posts

Re: Bow help

Nov 29, 2013
I'm sure you've already adjusted your sensitivity settings. I have mine a little over three-quarters to the right, the only reason it's not all the way is I like bit of sensitivity for the flamethower, which is in my bow loadout.
--------------------
besssst coast.
Message 2 of 45 (298 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
741 posts

Nov 29, 2013
Well make sure you have it fully drawed too because there's a high chance of missing otherwise. Once you get practice from close range I don't even fully draw the bow. When an enemy is moving I just drag the bow from side to side and release early.
Message 3 of 45 (294 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1210 posts

Nov 29, 2013

nykfist wrote:
I'm sure you've already adjusted your sensitivity settings. I have mine a little over three-quarters to the right, the only reason it's not all the way is I like bit of sensitivity for the flamethower, which is in my bow loadout.

Yeah, did that. I have it to next to max as well.But thanks for the tip anyway

Art by Janice Chu
Message 4 of 45 (283 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1210 posts

Nov 29, 2013

nabeel055 wrote:
Well make sure you have it fully drawed too because there's a high chance of missing otherwise. Once you get practice from close range I don't even fully draw the bow. When an enemy is moving I just drag the bow from side to side and release early.

I still have to get used to that. Sometimes i am in a hurry and then i just let go without waiting enough i think...

Art by Janice Chu
Message 5 of 45 (281 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
927 posts

Nov 29, 2013

Sounds like you have the same complains i do, lets see it misses when you are spot on, its slow, its trash. Best thing you can do is use that time to master the semi or revolver and add a flamethrower, the bow is trash against any player halfway good.

Message 6 of 45 (272 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
927 posts

Nov 29, 2013

The Bow is awesome!.. on Skyrim, Dragons Dogma, A Realm Reborn, Tomb Raider.

Message 7 of 45 (270 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1210 posts

Nov 29, 2013

reeLONGBOW wrote:

Sounds like you have the same complains i do, lets see it misses when you are spot on, its slow, its trash. Best thing you can do is use that time to master the semi or revolver and add a flamethrower, the bow is trash against any player halfway good.

No, don't think so. If you see Gatilmo on his Youtube videos doing work wtih it. But I can't say how he does that. He just hits Smiley Happy

Art by Janice Chu
Message 8 of 45 (262 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
927 posts

Nov 29, 2013

foofighter2634 wrote:

reeLONGBOW wrote:

No, don't think so. If you see Gatilmo on his Youtube videos doing work wtih it. But I can't say how he does that. He just hits Smiley Happy

Ive seen the guy, but those were noobs too, its hard to hit a team of covert users who use heavy cover with flamethrowers in close quarters.

Message 9 of 45 (260 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1872 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 29, 2013

I sucked with the bow until recently. I was getting shots 50 % of the time but missing shots 50 % of the time. Theres two main things I did that now I can shoot and hit 80 to 90 % of the time. First as you said you got to give the drawback time before shooting and second theres a circle when you first aim the bow. When you are pointing the bow at a enemy the circle will disappear. When the circle disappears it means you've got your target so shoot and it will register. For my third tip use Sharpshooter 3. Sharpshooter 3 gives bow users 65 % less damage wobble enabling bow users to go into direct gun battles with another person. Yes its true that with moving targets you need to shoot just before he moves there but I mostly just wait for him to stop moving. I can now get long distance shots with the bow but it just takes practice to get that. I also corner shoot with the bow which some people believe the bow cant do.

Message 10 of 45 (257 Views)