Wastelander
710 posts

Re: Bow help

Nov 30, 2013
Oh and don't listen to reeLONGBOW. He just doesn't have the skill to pull off any other weapons besides the SAR. His "tactics" that usually lead to him winning are to camp in two story buildings with covert and the flamethrower. People who camp tend to suck at direct conflict hence they camp. Longbow apparently can't use anything but the SAR so I doubt he's a skillful player.
Message 31 of 45 (142 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6157 posts

Nov 30, 2013

i actually find it funny that at the start of the game, people found the bow to be the most OP weapon lol.

It still is a great weapon, best stealth weapon, and if you learn to aim it and get a feel for it's drawtime, you can dominate people with it easily. Not to mention that you can get 3 arrows per kill, can retrieve arrows back, as well as take other people's arrows friend and foe so ammo is practically never a problem. I love it

photo Sniper.png
Message 32 of 45 (133 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Nov 30, 2013
I'm a fully-perked bowman in Skyrim, and I like the bow very much, it was my first choice when I began to play Factions. But I totally suck with it in TLOU, I think I've never succeeded in killing anyone.
Message 33 of 45 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
254 posts

Nov 30, 2013
The other day I was on University and shot a non armoured player in the chest once from medium distance, they came running towards me and I hit them once again with a direct hit to the chest but he didn't go down, so then he spiked-2X4'd me. Has anyone here had an issue like this where it takes more than 2 direct hits to down a non-armoured player? The only other time I've had this happen was a few games later in the same session.
--------------------
besssst coast.
Message 34 of 45 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
193 posts

Nov 30, 2013

The main factor to using a bow is to get the feel for the distance you have to lead your aim to hit a moving target and for how fast you draw another arrow. I usually use the bow upgraded to +1 only and spend the rest of the parts on flamethrower and armor.

With +1 draw speed you can send two arrows flying fast enough that the other player can't get away in time. However, this is probably thanks to lag, so you'll often see the downed guy slide away several meters, making the execution troublesome at times.

The arrows don't travel in a straight line either, which can be used to hit someone behind a low cover if you have enough distance between you. On the other side, the arrows can't pass between tight spaces, like handrails, below vehicles etc.

My loadout:

Revolver

Bow

Covert 3

FAT 1

Reviver 1/Marathon Runner 1

Flamethrower

I keep revolver with me for cases when I get pinned down, or have to use some strange angle shots where stealth isn't a factor anymore. It's sometimes better to use the loud revolver than die trying to win with the bow.

Flamethrower is mostly for cases when I manage to ambush more than 2 guys at the same time and for close quarters fights, where people either start to melee, or rush at me. Even if I get downed, I'm sure to get at least one execution in return. It's not as fast to down as a shotgun, but it doesn't mark me on radar and it's more foolproof to use. Not to mention cost.

Message 35 of 45 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Nov 30, 2013
@nykfist: My shots hitting but not giving me hit markers or doing damage is one reason I don't even bother using the bow anymore. It's hard enough to hit with as it is. No reason to put up with hits not doing damage on top of it.
Message 36 of 45 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1222 posts

Nov 30, 2013

^ I hardly ever have that problem anymore. Once you know how to use the bow then you've got it.

Message 37 of 45 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Nov 30, 2013
It doesn't happen all that often, but often enough to put me off of using the bow. It'll make the squish sound of the arrow hitting the target, blood sprays out, and no damage. Not worth using a weapon with problems like that. I stoppued using the silenced HR for the same reason too many shots not counting, or simply not telling me when they actually did count.
Message 38 of 45 (77 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1101 posts

Nov 30, 2013

Bizzerker_Bauer wrote:
It doesn't happen all that often, but often enough to put me off of using the bow. It'll make the squish sound of the arrow hitting the target, blood sprays out, and no damage. Not worth using a weapon with problems like that. I stoppued using the silenced HR for the same reason too many shots not counting, or simply not telling me when they actually did count.

Are you sure this was not a lag issue? I know that from basically any weapon that at times the enemy takes some hits but is still standing. Then, after a few seconds, he goes down. Very annoying that problem, but it persists

Art by Janice Chu
Message 39 of 45 (69 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1101 posts

Nov 30, 2013

Alright folks. I have been practising 10 Weeks and 3 Days (ingame :smileywink:) with the bow and I took note of what you wrote here. And I have to say: The bow ROCKS!

Basically, I learned these things:

- Take your time when aiming and shooting, even if you think you don't have it. Don't let the arrow go if you are not sure you gonna hit. It's essential. Different from other weapons, each shot counts.

- Always shoot 2 arrows as fast as you can so the enemy has no time to react and flee

- Hitting moving targets is difficult, but it works if you aim where the enemy is expected to be running and release at the right moment.

- Going head to head against another weapon is difficult but this works: First arrow in, dodge bullets by moving left and right and ducking, second arrow in

- The Shorty is a great addition as it surprises a lot of rushers and you are able to hit enemies from even very far away to execute them or just to make them nervous as they take damage and start panicking. At short range, the Shorty is a beast.

- When using a bow, you have a lot of opportunities to use a downed enemy as bait.

- When you are seen by an enemy, retreat, or sneak around to shiv him. If you get marked, get out of there as quickly as you can.

I really see a big improvement. The main thing again was to practise, practise, practise.

I use a stealth loadout with Covert 2 with the bow but no Sharpshooter as I don't have enough points to spare. This means if an enemy gets me in the open field and gets the first hit in before I can shoot an arrow, I am screwed because of the damage wobble. But if I manage to stay hidden, everything is fine.

My average games with the bow are around 8-8-4-1 now, my best one was 16-14-2-3, which is great!

What I like most is the completely different playstile as when using the SAR or another weapon.

Thans a lot guys :-)

Art by Janice Chu
Message 40 of 45 (66 Views)