i actually find it funny that at the start of the game, people found the bow to be the most OP weapon lol.
It still is a great weapon, best stealth weapon, and if you learn to aim it and get a feel for it's drawtime, you can dominate people with it easily. Not to mention that you can get 3 arrows per kill, can retrieve arrows back, as well as take other people's arrows friend and foe so ammo is practically never a problem. I love it
The main factor to using a bow is to get the feel for the distance you have to lead your aim to hit a moving target and for how fast you draw another arrow. I usually use the bow upgraded to +1 only and spend the rest of the parts on flamethrower and armor.
With +1 draw speed you can send two arrows flying fast enough that the other player can't get away in time. However, this is probably thanks to lag, so you'll often see the downed guy slide away several meters, making the execution troublesome at times.
The arrows don't travel in a straight line either, which can be used to hit someone behind a low cover if you have enough distance between you. On the other side, the arrows can't pass between tight spaces, like handrails, below vehicles etc.
Reviver 1/Marathon Runner 1
I keep revolver with me for cases when I get pinned down, or have to use some strange angle shots where stealth isn't a factor anymore. It's sometimes better to use the loud revolver than die trying to win with the bow.
Flamethrower is mostly for cases when I manage to ambush more than 2 guys at the same time and for close quarters fights, where people either start to melee, or rush at me. Even if I get downed, I'm sure to get at least one execution in return. It's not as fast to down as a shotgun, but it doesn't mark me on radar and it's more foolproof to use. Not to mention cost.
It doesn't happen all that often, but often enough to put me off of using the bow. It'll make the squish sound of the arrow hitting the target, blood sprays out, and no damage. Not worth using a weapon with problems like that. I stoppued using the silenced HR for the same reason too many shots not counting, or simply not telling me when they actually did count.
Are you sure this was not a lag issue? I know that from basically any weapon that at times the enemy takes some hits but is still standing. Then, after a few seconds, he goes down. Very annoying that problem, but it persists
Art by Janice Chu
Alright folks. I have been practising 10 Weeks and 3 Days (ingame ) with the bow and I took note of what you wrote here. And I have to say: The bow ROCKS!
Basically, I learned these things:
- Take your time when aiming and shooting, even if you think you don't have it. Don't let the arrow go if you are not sure you gonna hit. It's essential. Different from other weapons, each shot counts.
- Always shoot 2 arrows as fast as you can so the enemy has no time to react and flee
- Hitting moving targets is difficult, but it works if you aim where the enemy is expected to be running and release at the right moment.
- Going head to head against another weapon is difficult but this works: First arrow in, dodge bullets by moving left and right and ducking, second arrow in
- The Shorty is a great addition as it surprises a lot of rushers and you are able to hit enemies from even very far away to execute them or just to make them nervous as they take damage and start panicking. At short range, the Shorty is a beast.
- When using a bow, you have a lot of opportunities to use a downed enemy as bait.
- When you are seen by an enemy, retreat, or sneak around to shiv him. If you get marked, get out of there as quickly as you can.
I really see a big improvement. The main thing again was to practise, practise, practise.
I use a stealth loadout with Covert 2 with the bow but no Sharpshooter as I don't have enough points to spare. This means if an enemy gets me in the open field and gets the first hit in before I can shoot an arrow, I am screwed because of the damage wobble. But if I manage to stay hidden, everything is fine.
My average games with the bow are around 8-8-4-1 now, my best one was 16-14-2-3, which is great!
What I like most is the completely different playstile as when using the SAR or another weapon.
Thans a lot guys :-)
Art by Janice Chu