Naughty Dog Developer
204 posts

Re: Burst Rifle vs Semi Auto Rifle

Aug 1, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:
@sintax If it really is 5 bullets, then it REALLY doesn't seem like it is. Whenever I use this gun (which is all the time), I always seem to count 6 bullets when hitting only the body. Maybe the 6th bullet is confusing me? Do the legs have a separate hitbox?

I'm not doubting you, but I never actually count 5 bullets.

Could be any number of things.  Most common would be that you down him on the 5th bullet, then the 6th hits him while he's doing his fall animation, giving you a blip and taking off some of his downed health.

Message 61 of 134 (567 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14387 posts

Re: Burst Rifle vs Semi Auto Rifle *UPDATED*

Aug 1, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:
If you want a good score with it, I just went 14-13-0 with the Burst Rifle on University.

Had my level 1 upgrade within 3 minutes and went on a headshot rampage, instant executing everyone I saw.

It's seriously not as horrid as Aureilia makes it out to be, and I use it exclusively.

It is.

It fully depends on the player. Someone has had a much harder time than I have with it.

We also have to factor in the fact that you are substancially better than I am.

Message 62 of 134 (555 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4912 posts

Aug 1, 2013

sintax201 wrote:

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:
@sintax If it really is 5 bullets, then it REALLY doesn't seem like it is. Whenever I use this gun (which is all the time), I always seem to count 6 bullets when hitting only the body. Maybe the 6th bullet is confusing me? Do the legs have a separate hitbox?

I'm not doubting you, but I never actually count 5 bullets.

Could be any number of things.  Most common would be that you down him on the 5th bullet, then the 6th hits him while he's doing his fall animation, giving you a blip and taking off some of his downed health.

I also started using it exclusively for about two weeks now (real life weeks, not in-game lol) and I'm not noticing the 5 bullet-down effect. When I hit someone with a full burst then shoot him with 2 more bullets while he's making an escape, he still needs more damage to be downed.

I don't know, I used it alot recently, and am not noticing the 5 bullet down damage.

Message 63 of 134 (546 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Dog Developer
204 posts

Aug 1, 2013

Shadow-Man_4 wrote:
I also started using it exclusively for about two weeks now (real life weeks, not in-game lol) and I'm not noticing the 5 bullet-down effect. When I hit someone with a full burst then shoot him with 2 more bullets while he's making an escape, he still needs more damage to be downed.

I don't know, I used it alot recently, and am not noticing the 5 bullet down damage.

I encourage you to grab a friend and check it out in a private match.

A live match is always a different beast though, and if you're feeling like it's taking 6 hits, it means we aren't doing a good enough job at messaging the individual hits/misses for that gun.  The sounds of the second and third shots can easily overwhelm the impact sound of the bullet hitting a target, I know when I play at home I sometimes can't tell when a round from the burst rifle missed. 

Message 64 of 134 (528 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Aug 1, 2013

sintax201 wrote:

it means we aren't doing a good enough job at messaging the individual hits/misses for that gun.

Thanks for confessing that you're not doing a good enough job lag-wise in live/internet matches.

Care to comment on this thread? -> http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-les...

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 65 of 134 (502 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Dog Developer
204 posts

Aug 1, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

sintax201 wrote:

it means we aren't doing a good enough job at messaging the individual hits/misses for that gun.

Thanks for confessing that you're not doing a good enough job lag-wise in live/internet matches.

Care to comment on this thread? -> http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-les...

My statement wasn't about lag, only the hit sounds and blips.

Message 66 of 134 (483 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Aug 1, 2013

sintax201 wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

sintax201 wrote:

My statement wasn't about lag, only the hit sounds and blips.

Are you saying that lag doesn't mess up the hit detection/hitmarker algorithm? And what about that thread? Why does ND ignore it?

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 67 of 134 (475 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Dog Developer
204 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 1, 2013

tapantaola wrote:
Are you saying that lag doesn't mess up the hit detection/hitmarker algorithm? And what about that thread? Why does ND ignore it?

Specifically relating to hit sounds and hit blips from your own viewpoint, lag doesn't come into it.  As for the thread, can't help you there, I'm not one of our community guys, the only threads I try to comment on are ones where I have data/numbers to answer questions.

Message 68 of 134 (457 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 1, 2013

sintax201 wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

Specifically relating to hit sounds and hit blips from your own viewpoint, lag doesn't come into it.  As for the thread, can't help you there, I'm not one of our community guys, the only threads I try to comment on are ones where I have data/numbers to answer questions.

You said "messaging", which could also mean sending/receiving the right amount of UDP packets in a timely manner.

Also, you are a Naughty Dog Developer. I don't think that I'll get a more informed response from PR guys (that are not actual game developers, in a sense that they're not programmers or artists), not to mention that they rarely post here.

Is it unreasonable to ask for a toggle to mitigate lag?

Message 69 of 134 (434 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Dog Developer
204 posts

Aug 1, 2013

tapantaola wrote:
You said "messaging", which could also mean sending/receiving the right amount of UDP packets in a timely manner.

Also, you are a Naughty Dog Developer. I don't think that I'll get a more informed response from PR guys (that are not actual game developers, in a sense that they're not programmers or artists), not to mention that they rarely post here.

Is it unreasonable to ask for a toggle to mitigate lag?

You're reading too far into it, with messaging in this case I was only referring to the sounds and hit blips.  I'm not making any comment on lag with it.

Community guys comment on all sorts of threads.  I only comment on questions where I feel confident I can give you guys very accurate information.  I'll point it out to them, but I can't promise anything on it.

Message 70 of 134 (401 Views)
0 Likes