Sep 11 2013
By: swiftavenger212 Wastelander 464 posts

Burst rifle - current state and future buffs

[ Edited ]
113 replies 757 views Edited Sep 11, 2013

Hey guys, I am going to talk about some current aspects on BR what I would like to buff. Also here is the video and you can watch it to skip reading as you can see clips of BR in different combat situations (close/mid/long range, body vs headshot).

Clip size: In my opinion the clip size needs to increased by 3 bullets. Right now on its base form it only 9 bullets (3 bursts). Now as seen. Even though at close range its  a 2 burst down, it doesnt really happen at base form due to lack of accuracy on bullets. This is evident at 0:35 mark in the video. Also increasing the clip size by 3 bullets wont make it "OP", it would jsut make it so you dont have to reload as often during mid combat of a 1v1. I compare BR to SAR quite a bit since SAR is the norm (hence why its not being nerfed) and with SAR I never have to reload due to its massive clip size.

Headshots: At 1:57 mark you can see different clips where headshot can take out an enemy, even execute. I think thats good enough and does not need to be changed. This is one  positive aspect.

Now for long range, BR headshots are still dominant! You can see that at 4:01 that if you can nail headshots, the gun will execute them right away even if its a LONG RANGE battle! At 5:56 this can be seen although I would consider that mid range.

Bodyshots: Bodyshots are generally 3 burst downs unless its upgraded to level 2 due to lack of accuracy in bullets. This is evident in multiple occasions. Now I dont know if body shots are weaker because headshots are so much stronger, however I wont mind this gun being a 5 hit kill instead of the 6 right now. Again that 1 less hit wont make this gun "OP". For mid range combat its definetly more than 2 bursts even at upgrade level 2 (this can be seen at 5:13) but thats OK since its a close range gun.

SAR vs BR: Now I have no problems with SAR beating BR at long/mid range (obviosuly if you get headshot BR, SAR user loses, however if you get headshot with SAR then tehy can also win if BR doesnt get headshots). Now at close range (seen at 5:46), its a 1v1 scenario at close range SAR vs armoured BR. It took me 4 bursts (I missed one burst so 3 bursts without headshot) while at the same time SAR user broke my armour (2 SAR shots), and downed me with body shots (3 more shots). This goes to show that bodyshots for BR are quite weak but is that OK since headshots are so strong?

Upgrades: BR is a gun that needs to be upgraded. At upgrade level 2 this gun is beast, however other forms can be weak. I would like to see an increase in clip size for all 3 forms by 3 bullets (1 burst), cheaper ammo. This is esepcailly true when you consider that to blow up an enemy bomb you have to spend 3 bullets! It is ideal to switch to a revolver for this when blowing up bombs.

What I would like to see

- Increase in clip size by 3 bullets

- Possibly bullets for body shots being more accurate (easier to get 2 bursts down instead of 3 with base/upgrade 1 form)

-SAR doesnt need to be upgraded to be effective and same should apply to BR.

-Possibly less recoil, and needs to be stronger against  armour.

Anyways feel free to leave your thoughts and feedback on this!

My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/swiftydragon/videos - Last of us tips, and gameplay with commentary.
Message 1 of 114 (757 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
6967 posts

Re: Burst rifle - current state and future buffs

Sep 11, 2013

BR already downs in 5 shots.

Personally all it needs tweaked is its effectiveness against armour and the cost of ammo, since as of now you only buy 1 shot (3 bullets) with every purchase.

Oh, I'm just leaving. -Best Uncharted character ever
Message 2 of 114 (737 Views)
Gaming Beast
1872 posts

Sep 11, 2013

Ive never needed to buy ammo for the burst rifle. After killing someone just go to a supply box to get burst rifle ammo then go back to where you killed the enemy to pick up your burst rifle ammo. That way you get more.

Message 3 of 114 (722 Views)
Naughty Paw
20282 posts

Sep 11, 2013

sanddude20 wrote:

Personally all it needs tweaked is its effectiveness against armour and the cost of ammo, since as of now you only buy 1 shot (3 bullets) with every purchase.

This whole post is correct.

The Burst Rifle is already a 5 bullet down (at least this is what sintax keeps telling us) and it only need buffs in terms of taking off armor and the cost of ammo. The Burst Rifle is not the easiest weapon to master, but if you can, it's one scary weapon to go up against on all fronts except maybe long range (and the Burst Rifle can still hit well at long range if upgraded).

Honestly, the Burst Rifle is an amazing weapon. If people actually tried it out, they'd see it too. There's a reason my Burst Rifle loadout is the loadout I use 98% of the time on all maps.

Message 4 of 114 (718 Views)
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
287 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 11, 2013

Solution when facing a SAR at close range is to shoot your enemy first and not miss. The reason you got downed by the SAR user is because he clearly shot you first. Plus making it a 4 bullets to down would make it OP.

Burst Rifle is fine except against armor, its just that your room for error is alot smaller when using it compared to the SAR. If you miss at least 2 bullets, then your f***ed. 

Message 5 of 114 (709 Views)
Lombax Warrior
117 posts

Sep 11, 2013
I wouldn't buff it.

Message 6 of 114 (664 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4821 posts

Sep 12, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

sanddude20 wrote:

This whole post is correct.

The Burst Rifle is already a 5 bullet down (at least this is what sintax keeps telling us) and it only need buffs in terms of taking off armor and the cost of ammo. The Burst Rifle is not the easiest weapon to master, but if you can, it's one scary weapon to go up against on all fronts except maybe long range (and the Burst Rifle can still hit well at long range if upgraded).

Honestly, the Burst Rifle is an amazing weapon. If people actually tried it out, they'd see it too. There's a reason my Burst Rifle loadout is the loadout I use 98% of the time on all maps.

Pretty sure it is actually a 6 shot down. I have never noticed 5 shot downs.

A bigger clip size, slightly cheaper ammo, and maybe starting out with an extra 3 bullets would make it perfect. Don't change the SAR, just slightly buff the BR.

tlousig2
Message 7 of 114 (639 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
6967 posts

Sep 12, 2013

nope it is 5, a ND dev (sintax) said this himself, you can also see this when you're shooting a person near the head. if the last bullet of your 6 shots hits the head, it instantly kills the guy, meaning that the first 5 downed him , while the 6th one was a headshot executing him, this can also be seen in a single burst to the head.

just because you literally always shoot 6 shots to down a person, doesn't mean it takes 6.

Oh, I'm just leaving. -Best Uncharted character ever
Message 8 of 114 (622 Views)
Fender Bender
2633 posts

Sep 12, 2013

Give it armor piercing incendiary special rounds

yeehaw i'm a cowboy now
Message 9 of 114 (620 Views)
Wastelander
464 posts

Sep 12, 2013
I watched the replay again and we shot each other almost at same time (i might be half a second late), either way I think of it this way, I missed one burst but in that time he broke my armour. Then the 3 burst matched his SAR rounds and we downed each other simultaneously which I dont think its fair at that distance.

I used to use BR all the time now I only use it once every 5 matches or so, been using HR and bow a lot especially w the new flamethrower
My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/swiftydragon/videos - Last of us tips, and gameplay with commentary.
Message 10 of 114 (564 Views)
0 Likes