Jun 17 2013
By: Mista_Donzie Splicer 69 posts

Can TLOU get a "Shoulder Swap Memory" Option (just the option), Please?

40 replies 1061 views Edited Jun 17, 2013

Please read the entire statement before anyone here trolls me or shoots down my idea unjustly:

Can there please be an option to turn on shoulder-swap memory in the multiplayer?

What I mean is: An on/off option for those of us who like to move along the maps clock-wise (mostly needing to aim with our left shoulders). The current issue is that every time I switch shoulder's, the game forgets that I want to be left-handed, and resets my aim back to right hand.

Some people might be fine with it (and trust me, I am not complaining--so please, don't troll me), but when I try to move in the map along the left side, I would prefer if my aim would stay to the left side.

I'm only asking this as an ON/OFF option in the menu. Of course, some people would prefer to keep things the way they are, so the option cold stay off by default. But for the restof us, it would be nice to have the option for the game to consistently memorize what shoulder we were last aiming from. Without this option, the right-hand default gives those who are on the right side of an object an advantage. If i'm on the left of an object/cover, then the time I take to switch shoulders (each time) can cost my character his life.

1st person shooters usually have this rule called the right hand advantage, which works somewhat well for them. But in 3rd person games, the main character blocks/obstructs a portion of our view, so being confined to one shoulder is annoying. Yes, I can swap, but I'll ave to keep aiming every time just to swap. Wouldn't it be better to memorize what my last shoulder swap was? Even if other players would not like it (but they can simply keep the option "off"--which will work essentially the same as it does now), at least let the rest of us be able to turn the option of memorization on.

Metal Gear Online (a game similar to this game's sneaking mode style of play) remedied this issue by including the option (again, I repeat: this would not be mandatory on those who don't want it--just a good option in the menu that we could turn on) to memorize when we last switched to left or right shoulders. It really helps in a stealth-based online game. I survived without it in Uncharted 2 and 3, but we really need it in this game because we have to aim-down-the-sights to shoot (which I prefer over games with cheap hipfire anyway) so being able to snap-shoot while mainting cover on the left side of objects is crucial to fairness (since those other enemies on the right sode of their own cover-object get the advantage).

Message 1 of 41 (1,061 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Re: Can TLOU get a "Shoulder Swap Memory" Option (just the option), Please?

Jun 17, 2013

EnnTea is your man. :smileyhappy:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 2 of 41 (1,046 Views)
Survivor
2204 posts

Jun 17, 2013

i feel ya, but its not gonna happen. there are just too many fanboys here who dont care about good shooter controls.

As has been said before, ND makes great games, but offers crap options.

--
Say NO to paid DLC maps
Message 3 of 41 (1,043 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1257 posts

Jun 18, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

EnnTea is your man. :smileyhappy:

I was going to make this post... but who wasn't? :smileytongue:

Message 4 of 41 (1,026 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
69 posts

Jun 18, 2013
Just because fanboys don't "care" doesn't mean they'll muster up the energy to oppose it either. Plus, this is addressed to ND, not the fanboy trolls.
Message 5 of 41 (980 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
529 posts

Jun 18, 2013

I'd love to see this.

I'd also like to see priority for triangle given to revive instead of execute.

Neither are game breakers, but would be great tweaks.

'Rock is OP, paper is fine as it is': Scissors

Click This! ---> Youtube
Don't click this! --> Blog
Message 6 of 41 (955 Views)
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Jun 18, 2013

I'm totally with the OP.

Having it flip back to right-handed every time you let go of L1 is pretty disorientating. The option to memorise the last position would be much appreciated.

Message 7 of 41 (938 Views)
Monster Hunter
34 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 20, 2013

Agree.

Not left-handed or anything at all, but jesus It's friggen annoying. Especially with the sniper, which takes a good 1-2 seconds to even swap to the other shoulder.

Edit: I also like your MGO reference. Favorite MP to date.

Message 8 of 41 (908 Views)
Splicer
69 posts

Jun 22, 2013

So what can we do to get Naughty Dog's attention on this issue? It really is kind of debilitating imo. If my cover is on my right side but I need to shoot enemy to the left, I have to expose my whole body to hit him, but if i'm to his right, then he has the "right hand" advantage and can stay safely behind cover.

What will it take for ND to consider this? Don't they even play their own games? Why is this such a trivial thing to think of?

Message 9 of 41 (870 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Jun 22, 2013

Definitely would like this. I'm not left handed, but it's very annoying having to swap shoulders everytime you stop aiming. It makes shooting around some corners a pain.

Message 10 of 41 (866 Views)
0 Likes