Jul 31 2013
By: SlashZaku Shinra Executive 42126 posts

Can't find my place in the game

22 replies 421 views Edited Jul 31, 2013

So I've had the game since release and started playing MP shortly after that (went through the SP first and did so a 2nd time on NG+ during my first MP venture) and kind of hung it up after completing 1 run through the MP as the Fireflies.  During those last few weeks and playing with randoms, I just felt like the game was more frustrating than fun, win or lose didn't matter and as I've peppered in a few other threads, the meta game I'm not fond of either and how it kind of looms over matches.

Anyways, I'm into a 2nd go as the Hunters this time, on Week 3 I believe, and am just now realizing I don't really know my role on a team or feel like I'm actively contributing.  Yes, I've got a 'Medic' build but it doesn't feel 'right' for me, nor has any other that I've tried.  I do revive teammates when I get the chance and heal them if they stand still but something just feels off to me when I'm regulated to just as much.  In fact, I feel I'm more of a hinderance at times as I feel like I don't carry my weight when firefights break out and that I'm going down in most confrontations (even with teammates around me) and each death just dampens my mood throughout the match (as of late, I've been getting in 2-3 matches before I decide I've had enough and go play something else).. 

I would go as far as to say that I don't even really feel comfortable with any of the weapons.  More often than not, I don't think I even do a good enough job of 'finishing' with any weapon.  Semi-Auto, Burst, Revolver/9MM/Shorty, etc.: I can land the first few hits but always get 'outgunned' or things just go south after those few hits (another enemy teammate shows up, random molotov is tossed at me, 1-Hit melee, etc.).  I've got limited-to-no experience with the Hunting Rifle, Bow and the Purchaseable Weapons.  I've been thinking of going with a 'Shotgun' build but not sure how to buld around that (Shorty + Shotgun but don't know where to go with skills and not sure the Shorty would be enough for someone like me in a firefight).

Right now, the main build I use is leans towards the Revolver + Semi-Auto with a preference towards Crafter (for parts + gifting), Reviver (just to speed this up when I need to) and First Aid if I'm remember correctly.  I use Listen Mode when warranted/need be, I generally stick with the team and play the role of a team player (gifting, reviving, healing, leaving executions to teammates, etc.) but I'm still just having a sour experience/it's not clicking for me in being 'fun/enjoyable'.  As another side note, I don't use the One-Time Boosters.  They're pretty much being stockpiled.  Aside from 1 venture in Survivor, I've stuck to Supply Raid, No Parties since that's been added.  Also, I would go as far as to say I probably neglect the store a lot of times in-game.  I rarely if at all buy armor and if I do, it's towards the end of the match but I feel it's kind of pointless and I upgrade my weapons but can't say that I've ever paid attention enough to notice a difference outside of more starting ammo.  When I do run out of ammo, I usually just wing it too =\

I've considered just playing without the meta game in mind (not worrying about needing x amount of parts each match, not caring about sick/hungry) but that's just one part of the entire problem for me.  It's not just 1 thing as detailed above and more of the entire picture.  I'm doubting even partying up would change that (it really does feel like a mechanics/feel issue that I just can't grasp with the MP) which is something I've only done once with 1 other person. 

I'm going to keep at it for a bit more, if not until I complete the journey as a Hunter but after that, I may just call the quits with the MP portion.  Co-Op is generally my preference for MP experiences but I can hold my own competitively in most other shooters.  TLoU just happens to fall into that rare bunch where it's not the case =\  It's not the slower pace or focus on teamwork.  I actually enjoy that approach.  It's just the way everything is presented outside of that that feels off.  The gunplay in a MP setting, the 4 v 4, the crafting/parts, etc..

Guess this is kind of 'rant' thread but if anyone has any advice/tips after looking over how I play/what I said, please provide it Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 23 (421 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
134 posts

Re: Can't find my place in the game

Jul 31, 2013

Visit the stores in-game. Even if you don't feel it, straightaway, there is a big difference with upgraded weapons and armor is always just good to have (some even say it's OP). The only other thing I'd add is that personally, I enjoy partying up with friends in TLOU sooo much more than going solo (which I still have fun with, just not as much, by a longshot). Sure you will still run into a lot of the silliness you'd see in the no-party mode, but much less of it, in my experience. Also, it's really better with a party of 4 than 2 or 3, which leaves you open to the odd random. Often, this is fine but too often it is not (this morning, I made a thread about my experience with a certain random last night).

I'd invite you to shoot me a FR--my friends and I don't care about KDR, just having fun and working as a team. It usually goes pretty well. Good luck out there!

Message 2 of 23 (408 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1431 posts

Jul 31, 2013
The game is more fun if you play with a party or on the no parties playlist (individuals tend to work together more), once you have a party going everyone seems to discuss the roles and call out what's happening. However I've noticed you play no-parties, do you have much team interaction?

You should play a role that you enjoy not to satisfy the meta-game necessities (although it always drags you back to it eventually with the challenges).

My personal role is as spotter/sniper sort of role however I play with my own play style with the team in mind. Some players like to aggressive, others defensive some even prefer to flank behind the enemy by themselves.

Try using the game store more also, its worth investing in the upgrades, armor etc. as it helps you survive longer instead of being instant downed by the many selections of KO items.

I'm just looking forward to the DLC, objective gametypes - I'm hoping they will find a way to implement co-op as it would be a poor decision if they don't (I would certainly pay for it anyhow).

>> Multiplayer TLOU: http://www.youtube.com/user/DanViron
>> Twitter: https://twitter.com/VironZz
Message 3 of 23 (401 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1603 posts

Jul 31, 2013

Try this loadout for your shotgun loadout:

-Revolver

-Crafter 3

-Collecter 2

-Shotgun

or something similar with crafter

I also reccomend trying out the hunting rifle with this loadout:

-Revolver

-Hunting rifle

-Hawkeye 2

-Reviver 2

-Sharpshooter 3

Message 4 of 23 (397 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
17603 posts

Jul 31, 2013

First, get some friends and party up.  Add me if you like, then you'll get introduced to all the great people I party with.

Some others here will join you, I'm sure.

In a party, everything is easier.  People heal and help and support you.  People talk and give advice.  

Once you get these training wheels, you grow in confidence, and can handle yourself in the randomness of no parties.

[ 39 ] Every time a mine downs someone an Angel gets its wings.
Message 5 of 23 (389 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
639 posts

Jul 31, 2013

Your place is by my side 

Come child. Take my hand. I'll show you the way 

Message 6 of 23 (387 Views)
Shinra Executive
42126 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 1, 2013

@King_Cobra97
You say Crafter 3 & Collector 2 but I only have enough for one or the other maxed. I have 12 Loadout Points so am I missing something?

Playing now and armor just doesn't seem to be worth it to me Smiley Indifferent Seems to be gone just like that. And I'm having trouble with corners. Like, if I'm in a firefight and me and my opponent are firing around something, 100% chance I'm losing the exchange.

EDIT: Done for the night.  Put the meta game out of my mind.  Didn't even complete the mission I started and lost 36 clan members.  Tried experimenting a little as well.  Hunting Rifle...eh, not for me.  The scope does me in in a shootout and I'm sure others can line up their Semi-Auto for the 2-3 shots they need before I line up my 1 to down them.  Might try the Bow tomorrow.  Decided to try out the Assault Rifle and I think it's fine in a tight spot but 4-5 bullets to down someone (you start with 10 I think) and ammo really does get expensive at 400+ a pop for like 2 kills =\

The build I was using was (think this is right):

Revolver

Sharpshooter 3

Reviver 1

First Aid 1

Pistol Zoom 1

Assault Rifle

Seems decent enough.  Went 7-6-2-4 on Lakeside just now.  On that matter, is Sharpshooter worth having for the non-Sniping weapons?  Can I slap this on the Semi-Auto or Burst with some improvements or should I ditch it with the above build and put something more worthwhile in that spot/buff the others?

The usual melee dice rolling was going on again where I'll swing first (on my screen at least) or at the same time and they always get the kill on me even if it looks like my animation is playing through.  Happened 2-3 times tonight as I've been trying to establish melee as a nice fallback (waiting to get enough supplies to upgrade my 2x4 when I get it so I can safeguard it for respawns).  I also was watching a teammate during one encounter where he must have swung 3-4 times and never got his to connect despite being right on top of an enemy Smiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 23 (354 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42126 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 1, 2013

Well, lovely way to kick off the morning. Checkpoint turned into a Bomb/Molotov/Smoke fiesta Smiley Indifferent Gave the Hunting Rifle another go on Lakeside. Did better with it but it seems map specific so I'll have to keep that in mind. Did shoot someone in the body and then again with the Revolver and they didn't go down so don't know what's up with that.

Also just got my 13th Loadout Point so that solves the question from before. Happened after a pretty good match with 3 randoms that wanted to play as a team. Such a surprise.

EDIT: Melee is such garbage in this game Smiley Very Happy  Pop a guy with the Shorty as he runs up to me and a fist fight ensues.  You'd think the Shorty would have softened him up nicely but nope, he wins the exchange Smiley Indifferent  Yeah, yeah, Brawler where he gets health back but come on.

I played with the default Assault build (Shorty + Burst + AR) and changed it around a bit.  Seems nice enough but just wanted some skills that would work for me.

Had a SMH moment in my last match too.  Checkpoint, teammate goes down by the van next to the supply box.  I downed the enemy that downed him and fired off a few at his teammate who went back around the van.  I go to revive my teammate and during the last few seconds, this clown moves away from me Smiley Indifferent  I end up opening the supply box during the last few seconds to get to him but he dies and on top of that, the enemy that rushed off earlier picked up his teammate so now it's 2 v 1.  I'm holding them at bay around the truck but I suspect one of them is healing the other engaging me.  I've got a Shorty and my Burst is out of ammo so I'm slow to fire regardless.  Then the beautiful bit is when a 3rd teammate joins the fray.  I'm not winning this at all and before I can make a run for it, I'm downed.  Great.  The slap in the face is seeing an ally's bomb land behind them just after dying and seeing one go down and then watching my ally's cam as he shivs another one with one of my other teammates taking care of the third.  Too little too late for the calvalry to arrive guys Smiley Indifferent  If the one clown hadn't moved (he was still the entire time except for that last stretch), it would have been 2 v 2 and we probably could have held them off till the other 2 came around.

Message 8 of 23 (309 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
17603 posts

Aug 1, 2013
You get a 13th point at 7500 total supplies

Message 9 of 23 (291 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
17603 posts

Aug 1, 2013
You Need to get with forum teammates.

Message 10 of 23 (290 Views)
0 Likes