Jan 17 2014
By: CookMeAKid Splicer 37 posts

DLC 3 - The Great Opportunity..

25 replies 641 views Edited Jan 17, 2014

Hello Everyone,

TLOU is my Multiplayer triumph of last year, undoubtedly trumping several other big franchise efforts I had high hopes for, including the vaunted return of Splinter Cell's SvM (which I'm an oldcore addict to) - this game did stealth better, with added rivets, and inside such a timely elegant and emotive wrapper. A giant thanks to ND, and please be handing the multiplayer dev team back the keys for an evolved reinvention now that it has been proved both commerically and in the cult.

I'm writing this because I want this game to be my favoured MP vantage of THIS year too. And well it could.

DLC 3 is an enormous opportunity, for the devs and for us players.

It is known to be multiplayer, and no economical battles need be lost or won over its viability, dividing the player base etc - it's in the season pass and it has to get made - wonderful!

So I've read the speculation, and I've read the cravings - and yes, the horde mode bell has been shot to bitsMan Tongue

DLC 3 to me though, has the rare chance to take a mp experience that now has a cult following keeping it very much throbbing and alive - and elevate it - give it the injection of longevity it needs to reward us playing it into late this year. Let me get the obvious out of the way first..

MAPS maybe? - well, it could certainly use more, but we all know too well what paid map content does to a dedicated but diminishing population, and can see it in evidence with the new maps now (however beautiful).

GAMEMODES then..? - same trouble. I'm honestly more than satisfied with the current gametypes - the problem is more diluted here as anyone can play the new gametype so it is more democratic, and popularity migrates where it is deserved.. so I can certainly agree with the positive following an calls for objective orientated modes, hostage or flag capture, or zone control, or.. something. Could be a nice new flavour.

But is it what we need to stir up the ashes for another good year at least? I'm not so sure.

ND have the chance to bring us something unexpected this summer, to reawaken this title and shake it up.

I think it will take surprise.

Could it be a deeper personal challenge system? Could it be a hearty patch that wraps up all outstanding issues? Could it be small but catchy new features like gender select? Could it be a more fleshed out store, with some variations for choices.. types of bomb.. shotgun shell varieties.. a choice as to which melee weapon you buy? A handful of new weapons that are freely available? A package of buyable content, bug fixes, free content, and reworking of the progression system to reward long-term goals and commitment - many other games have done such thing well post-launch - God of War Ascension coming to mind - new systems for differentiation, collectable sets etc.

Whatever it is I would like to see more than a layering on of new content, instead a deepening of the existing experience and ecosystem/economy. This game deserves something which can forever keep it from its grave, something which will keep us coming back indefinitely (as the randomised clan cycle does already for me in one sense) - as we are all still here because the core gameplay loop is so damned rewarding and refined. That special suace won't see us turning our back anytime soon, so what could it be ND? You brought us this inventive and original magic.. I just hope you have it in you to surprise us again! Of course you do..

Thanks All

Message 1 of 26 (641 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
6876 posts

Re: DLC 3 - The Great Opportunity..

Jan 17, 2014

hats

Oh, I'm just leaving. -Best Uncharted character ever
Message 2 of 26 (634 Views)
Splicer
37 posts

Jan 17, 2014
Victorian London Theme Pack - Top Hats and Flat Caps

I'm sure they are imaging something a little less.. gentrified.
Message 3 of 26 (598 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2432 posts

Jan 17, 2014

sanddude20 wrote:

hats

No, no, no, no and NO!!!

Masks.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 26 (596 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1239 posts

Jan 17, 2014

I honestly want ND to play it safe and go with another map pack and not another game mode.  A really exciting game mode could potentially extend the life of the MP more than another map pack, but in reality, unless it's a horde mode/co-op or infected mode which is not happening and been ruled out by ND, a new game mode will more than likely just fizzle out after a few weeks.  A patch as a DLC won't happen because patches are for all players, not some.  

Maps won't be the most exciting thing for the fan base, but it will be the safest bet to keep the MP alive.  Seeing how well done the Abandon Terrorities map pack was done, I guessing most hardcore MP fans will be OK with another map pack.

Except Sandude and everyone who wants more hats, helmets, masks, and backpacks.

Message 5 of 26 (560 Views)
Fender Bender
3478 posts

Jan 17, 2014
More maps and fix issues that have been addressed repeatedly and ND is fully aware of . Fix the black screen fix losing connection to host etc. Also more masks and hats and gender would be cool .

Add more custom loadouts 4 is too little at least 6 or 7 .
Message 6 of 26 (537 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1210 posts

Jan 17, 2014

I agree.

I also hope for new maps to not split the pool any further and the long awaited bugfixes. More customizable loadouts and the possibility to name them. A shortcut from starting the game to the multiplayer (like in GTA for example - crap MP though), because getting from switching on the game into a match just takes waaaaay to long. See who's host. See who's teamed with whom in the lobby. All those neat tiny things that just make the experience much slicker with just a little bit of effort.

The big issues like freezes should be addressed as well of course, but that should not be part of the DLC, it should happen earlier...

Art by Janice Chu
Message 7 of 26 (530 Views)
First Son
11 posts

Jan 17, 2014

Add more maps and have Military vs Fireflies on certain maps. 

Message 8 of 26 (475 Views)
Splicer
37 posts

Jan 18, 2014
Good comments guys. @Foo.. new maps do further divide the playerbase no? There will be a new tier of haves and have nots.. so THREE playlist options, one normal, one DLC one only, and one both DLCs..

could get skinny I fear?
Message 9 of 26 (444 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1210 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 18, 2014

Hm.. I guess you are right. I thought of adding them to the DLC map pool. Maybe ND can join both DLCs as soon as the second MP DLC arrives. So if you buy the latest DLC, you get the first as well...

Art by Janice Chu
Message 10 of 26 (218 Views)
0 Likes