Uncharted Territory
1210 posts

Re: FEEDBACK REQUESTED: matchmaking tweaks in TLOU MP

[ Edited ]
Dec 13, 2013

alitanet2013 wrote:

Does it take you longer to find a match?

YES, definitely.

Are there times when you can never find a match when previously at the same time and day of the week you have been able to?

YES... For example now, december 13th 11.31 a.m. (italian time): I cannot play at all. Usually at this time I can easily find matches (no parties) with players from Japan. Today I'm searching a match for almost half an hour...

I've checked my network, my NAT Type is 2 (I don't know what does it means btw)

Sorry to hear that. I'm from Germany, so also Europe, and I just played a couple of games without any more search time than usual. There were also some Japanese players on the enemy team.

But I have not had any guy on either team with < 2 connection bars!

So far the change looks great from my side!

Art by Janice Chu
Message 21 of 261 (514 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1513 posts

Dec 13, 2013

I shoot you first, I die= you lag. Vice versa not applicable.
Message 22 of 261 (517 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1513 posts

Dec 13, 2013
When it comes to your tv causing the lag issues you usually find that on new tvs with the 240htz refresh rate. They all have a game mode setting to knock it down to 120 or 60. This has NOTHING to do with ND.

Eric, the other issue with this is to stop placing players together outside their regions.
The party leader seems to control that as well.
I can take 3 friends from my region into a match with me as leader and find my wife and her party of 4.
Her party will all be from waaaaay outside my region but because shes leader we always find each other.
I shoot you first, I die= you lag. Vice versa not applicable.
Message 23 of 261 (515 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
194 posts

Dec 13, 2013

I've played a few hours now and I must say that the number of laggy matches has dropped significantly for me. However that can also mean that I was simply lucky and nothing else. There were some one ping bar players, but I haven't noticed anything worse than the usual getting downed after hiding in cover, or getting downed around the corner stuff. But I guess those are already a part of the game, huh? Smiley Very Happy

Waiting time for matches was longer with full party, but no parties mode worked normally. One thing though, and it may be only a coincidence, I seem to have run into many players several times. I rarely meet a random player twice in the same day, or week, but today, it felt like there was only a few guys online.

Message 24 of 261 (514 Views)
Sackboy
460 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 13, 2013

alitanet2013 wrote:

YES, definitely.

Are there times when you can never find a match when previously at the same time and day of the week you have been able to?

YES... For example now, december 13th 11.31 a.m. (italian time): I cannot play at all. Usually at this time I can easily find matches (no parties) with players from Japan. Today I'm searching a match for almost half an hour...

ummm...

you do realise that the change is not (or at least shouldnt be) even live yet? 'early afternoon PST' will be like 9pm CET or later.

the power of suggestion, eh?

Message 25 of 261 (505 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1210 posts

Dec 13, 2013

bialy0021 wrote:

alitanet2013 wrote:

YES, definitely.

ummm...

you do realise that the change is not (or at least shouldnt be) even live yet? 'early afternoon PST' will be like 9pm CET or later.

the power of suggestion, eh?

I think you're right lol

I hope Eric posts a short notice here when the change is live actually. Would be helpful.

Art by Janice Chu
Message 26 of 261 (501 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Dec 13, 2013

Well, I was not lying, I hope that this problem was related to the previous settings, I'll let you know about my experience in the next hours

Message 27 of 261 (456 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
200 posts

Dec 13, 2013
Eric-ND said :

Players behind a closed NAT may have (but not necessarily) a higher latency to other players in the match because their network traffic will always be routed through the host, whereas normally much of this traffic will be peer to peer.
To check your NAT type, go to Settings --> Network Settings --> Settings and Connection Status List --> Scroll down to NAT Type.
Type 3 is closed, Type 2 is moderate, Type 1 is open.

Please dont implement this particular function. Its going to create players with disgusting latency issues that end up having an advantage because all their actions have been done more then 1 second prior to NAT 2 players "reactions"

Just consider putting a NAT Type line that SHOWS players what NAT protocol they are using. If they want open, they can figure it out.

Plenty of Coil Of Doody videos out there that can explain how its done
Message 28 of 261 (448 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Dec 13, 2013

Is those changes active yet? I just tried mp, waited for 40 mins no matches found. So I wasn't able to play at all :-( 

I'll try again later to night.

Message 29 of 261 (411 Views)
First Son
16 posts

Dec 13, 2013

So far I haven't experienced any problems. But while we're in the connection area, I think you should fix how the whole host system works. There are games that go on for nearly 20 minutes, and if the host is on losing side, they will quit during sudden death kicking everyone out to the lobby. Basically 20 min wasted because the day doesn't pass and you need to replay. I've had plenty of such games and it's very frustrating.

Message 30 of 261 (390 Views)