Jun 22 2014
By: Rich8606 Lombax Warrior 153 posts

Faster internet, more lag?!?

30 replies 330 views Edited Jun 22, 2014

Until earlier this year I had a 1Mb internet and I played this game with little to no lag. Now I upgraded to 3Mb internet, why am I lagging so much?!?

Everything I do only takes effect several seconds later. I kill a guy, craft items, etc, I get parts 3-4 seconds later.

Message 1 of 31 (330 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
367 posts

Re: Faster internet, more lag?!?

Jun 22, 2014

The match depends of the host. Maybe the lagger was the host of that match. But if you have that problem every single match you play it might be a problem between your connection type and the server of the game (NAT and all that stuff). 

I am just guessing.

They see me posting. They hating.
Message 2 of 31 (324 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3721 posts

Jun 22, 2014
If you were playing on a 1Mb connection before with "no lag", I'm sure that almost every opponent you faced hated your lag.

But yeah, check your NAT type. Enable UPnP. Get a NAT 2 or 1.
Message 3 of 31 (308 Views)
Lombax Warrior
143 posts

Jun 22, 2014
Isnt upload speed more important?
I wouldn't touch you with a broomstick.
Message 4 of 31 (302 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
229 posts

Jun 22, 2014

sjaak023 wrote:
Isnt upload speed more important?

Only if you're host.

Message 5 of 31 (294 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3721 posts

Jun 22, 2014
Download speeds are typically higher than upload in the vast majority of internet packages. If he had a 1Mb down than the up must have been the same or less. These are the things that give you and occasionally your opponents the white plug freeze.

It doesn't matter too much if your host or not. Its a client to client communication in most situations with the host getting the same info as well. When you shoot at an opponent, you and the opponent are "talking" and the host finds out. But the problem happens when someone has a NAT 3. That person isn't allowed to "talk" to other players with NAT 2 so his info has to be routed through the host first, then relayed to the opponent. Resulting in more lag.
Message 6 of 31 (292 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3721 posts

Jun 22, 2014
NAT 1 (direct connection to modem, no firewall) can communicate with all NAT types.

NAT 2 can communicate with NAT 1 and 2 directly.

NAT 3 can ONLY communicate with NAT 1.

This goes for ALL p2p communication. Its not a Naughty Dog thing. Its a firewall thing.
Message 7 of 31 (286 Views)
Fender Bender
2812 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 24, 2014

xxBLiTZKREIGxx wrote:
It doesn't matter too much if your host or not. Its a client to client communication in most situations with the host getting the same info as well. When you shoot at an opponent, you and the opponent are "talking" and the host finds out. But the problem happens when someone has a NAT 3. That person isn't allowed to "talk" to other players with NAT 2 so his info has to be routed through the host first, then relayed to the opponent. Resulting in more lag.

^ This.

Let's say that the host is from Japan, there are 2 players from the US and one of them has NAT Type 3. That means that packets (small chunks of data) have to be routed through Japan, otherwise NAT Type 3 players would be literally invisible to other players.

NAT Type 1/2 example:

Player1 <------> Player2

^ Direct communication = less lag

NAT Type 3 example:

Player1 <------> p2p host <------> Player2

^ Indirect communication = more lag

The host does not transfer VoIP (in-game voice chat) packets though, because it would increase upstream bandwidth consumption. The only way to solve NAT Type 3 issues is to forward ports or use IPv6 (google it). We're already in 2014 and Sony consoles (PS3/PS4/Vita) still do not support IPv6.

The host is also responsible for syncing global game variables, like picking up items from supply boxes in TLOU or power weapons/grenades in Uncharted. Slow pick up = laggy host. Syncing is crucial and that's why there always needs to be one console which keeps track of that data, otherwise the game would be desynchronized.

Host XMB ragequit/power outage = no data syncing (aka host migration) is performed = everyone is kicked out of the match. AFAIK, there's no way to solve this without dedicated servers.

White plug is fair: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/What-does-the-blinking-white-plug-mean-and-why-is-it-disrupting/m-p/44241158/highlight/true#M106983
Message 8 of 31 (279 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
367 posts

Jun 22, 2014
🔝 That's all.
They see me posting. They hating.
Message 9 of 31 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

Jun 23, 2014

**bleep** it, so the problem most certainly comes from my end. I was just wondering if this lag happens to everybody after an update or something. So it's just mainly me then?

Message 10 of 31 (144 Views)
0 Likes