Sep 05 2013
By: Bioshock I Only Post Everything 1100 posts
Accepted Solution

How the scoring system works, or Fix the glitched display message, ND!

[ Edited ]
91 replies 664 views Edited Sep 5, 2013

This topic is about Supply Raid

Backstory/Summary of game mechanics

Some competitive matches end with equal death counts for both teams as calculated by the scoreboard (not the respawn counter), but because one team has their member get executed at the last second possible, the game incorrectly displays the "You Win/You Lose/You Tied" messages claiming one team lost and the other team won.

A few things to keep in mind about TLoU that you can test out in any match, public or private.

1. The game counts all deaths and executions at the time that they happen, not when the player executed respawns. These statistics are registered on the scoreboard and you can view them after you press START.
2. Kills or deaths that occur after the timer runs out do NOT register on the scoreboard.
3. The respawn numbers at the top do not change until a player respawns.

A player does not need to respawn for the kill to count. Here is proof of that; you can test it out if you have 15 spare minutes. Note how I die with seconds remaining but I do not respawn, and the game still counts this as a tie despite my team having a higher number in the respawn counter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4NqA2gNHec

Possible explanation?

The game takes an additional second/split-second after a player is executed to display messages like "Close Game" or "You Took The Lead." My interpretation is that whatever system governs those messages is the same system that calculates the post-game "You Won/You Lost/You Tied" messages. It stops functioning as a system when the time runs out. This means that these notifications are the product of the actual scoring system, and because there was not enough time AFTER a last second kill and before the timer fully ran out, the game couldn't recalculate the message in time.

The display is prone to unusual visual glitches: I was in a match where we were winning 9-0 (other team in sudden death) before they started quitting and taking my team with them. I was left alone in the match and presented with a YOU TIED 9-0 message.

Others will have seen more than 4 people icons on the respawn counter when bringing up the scoreboard post-game, and if you finish an Interrogation match, go back to the lobby and run Supply Raid THEN bring up the scoreboard, you're able to see the stats for the interrogation in terms of Executions/Downs/Deaths/Revives, but the respawn counter will display ridiculously high numbers e.g. 9...-937

The problem

Very unfortunately, an ND multiplayer QA tester's word was taken as gospel despite the fact that anyone can go into the game and prove that interpretation incorrect, as we have above. MacGruber incorrectly stated that if teams were separated by 1 kill and a player on the winning team was executed at the last second but did not respawn, the winning team would still get the win. This is now causing problems.

An example of a match where the respawn counter is at odds with the Display Message and Scoreboard, but the Display Message still displays correctly:

http://i.imgur.com/6ConTDl.jpg

This, along with the video above, conclusively proves that players do not have to respawn for the death to count. Note the deaths (lower team has 1 extra death due to kamikaze, but equal executions for both).

ND needs to admit the respawn counter is prone to many visual glitches and that last second kills cause the display message to glitch and fix it.

Thanks

Message 1 of 92 (664 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Naughty Paw
10730 posts

Re: How the scoring system works, or Fix the glitched display message, ND!

Sep 5, 2013

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 2 of 92 (652 Views)
Fender Bender
3872 posts

Sep 5, 2013

Have you got a video of a example of it being wrong? :-)

Message 3 of 92 (629 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1431 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 5, 2013

It may be broke in some regards but moreover they need to add custom game options and not count executions that are still in the animation when the timer hits zero; as kills don't count until the execution is complete not mid animation.

>> Multiplayer TLOU: http://www.youtube.com/user/DanViron
>> Twitter: https://twitter.com/VironZz
Message 4 of 92 (628 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
6702 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 5, 2013

don't know where this came from but it's gonna be goooood

wrestler dis gon b gud gif Imgur 5tKcK

Feet
Message 5 of 92 (613 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1100 posts

Sep 5, 2013
I think if you two just admitted equal deaths was a tie it would solve a few things, but the fact that the whole upper respawn counter/display message is glitched is an issue for the wider community. And I'd appreciate you leaving if you aren't interested in looking at the evidence.

Thanks.
Message 6 of 92 (605 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1100 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 5, 2013

VironZZ wrote:

It may be broke in some regards but moreover they need to...not count executions that are still in the animation when the timer hits zero; as kills don't count until the execution is complete not mid animation.

This is an opinion, and one based on animations instead of when a player has no health left and has been 'killed' (Tlou: executed) as recorded by the scoreboard.

This is the wrong way to score Deathmatch modes in competitive gaming, and is not how Tlou counts kills (whether they be downs or executions), so that last part is a lie.

Easy test: one player downs enemy, other player special executes, special execution animation will continue to play, but supplies and ammo will drop from body beforehand, and scoreboard will reflect updated executions/deaths.

Message 7 of 92 (596 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1431 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 10, 2013

Maybe our teams would be able to converse/scrim without unnecessary drama - but we know that can't happen due to whatever reasons.

>> Multiplayer TLOU: http://www.youtube.com/user/DanViron
>> Twitter: https://twitter.com/VironZz
Message 8 of 92 (592 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1100 posts

Sep 5, 2013
This thread is not about faboles or treating your team in a certain way. There is no drama here, just facts. Please take it to PMs if you have problems outside of the scope of this topic.
Message 9 of 92 (585 Views)
Fender Bender
3872 posts

Sep 5, 2013

munnsy1 wrote:

Have you got a video of a example of it being wrong? :-)

Message 10 of 92 (576 Views)
0 Likes