Jun 21 2013
By: Fakehound Treasure Hunter 4821 posts

Infection Playlist - A unique twist on Factions.

[ Edited ]
14 replies 410 views Edited Jun 27, 2013

Factions has launched with only two modes as most of you know, which is a bit of a letdown. Sure, within the confines of how the multiplayer is set up, it could be difficult to add fresh, well done modes. Infection however is one that fits perfectly. It's been brought up ever since the game's announcement and I, along with many others know it has potential for greatness. Yes Raccoon City did this, but TLOU could do this so much better, it's as if the multiplayer was made with this mode in mind.

The Concept.

PvP with contested infected.

The basic picture of Infection is simple. Supply Raid/ Survivors with infected sprinkled into the map. I'm not saying that the maps should be littered with infected, just enough to make things interesting for both teams. This would capture the single player aspect while still retaining an excellent multiplayer setting. I personally think that runners and clickers should be roaming the map, bloaters could potentially make things a bit too complicated (what do you guys think?). Most infected could be placed around the center of the map, however there should NEVER be infected anywhere close to the spawns (the edges of the maps). More or less infected could randomly be set on the map on the start of each map to keep things interesting, but I do not think there should be a crazy overabundance of infected on any of the maps.

Bottles and bricks would appropriately be placed around the map, functioning almost exactly how they did in the story, except that you cannot auto-throw them at the infected or enemies. This would allow for players to not only stun each other ever so briefly, but distract or even attract the infected towards the enemy team. Death by the infected would lower your teams reinforcements just like a normal death, adding more depth and adding to the survival aspect of the multiplayer. Killing an infected would net you with a low amount of parts and could possibly be another means of obtaining supplies besides crates.

Gunshots would attract nearby infected so silencers and bows would be very useful tools to keep a low profile. Having to think whether or not you should shoot an enemy if infected are close by would be incredibly cool, and most importantly, it would keep things fresh. As for infected placements, I do not think that the infected should spawn in a static spot every time a match loads up. I think that they should be randomly hurdled more towards the center and that the type of infected should be random. (picture running up the stairs in the bar on Bill's Town to see a randomly placed clicker in the following room at that spot that wasn't previously there the last match.

I am conflicted if there should be player respawns. Having only one life would make things incredibly tense, and it would make it so that you wouldn't have to respawn the infected (which admittedly could be a problem if there were respawns for players). Maybe there could be both versions, added into one playlist. What do you guys think about this, I would love to know.

tlousig2
Message 1 of 15 (410 Views)
Naughty Paw
11267 posts

Re: Infection Mode - A unique twist on multiplayer

Jun 21, 2013
My problem with this is that there would be too much outside party interference for a full scale competitive atmosphere. This mode would be fun, but this mode just relies on a random component. I think a mode with the infected should just stay within a cooperative environment.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 2 of 15 (385 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4821 posts

Re: Infection Mode - A unique twist on multiplayer

[ Edited ]
Jun 21, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:
My problem with this is that there would be too much outside party interference for a full scale competitive atmosphere. This mode would be fun, but this mode just relies on a random component. I think a mode with the infected should just stay within a cooperative environment.

True, it wouldn't be as competitive as Supply Raid or Survivors, but there is nothing stopping players from playing the other game modes if they want a fully competitive environment. Just about every multiplayer game has some modes that are there for having fun, more choices are a good thing.

tlousig2
Message 3 of 15 (375 Views)
Naughty Paw
11267 posts

Re: Infection Playlist - A unique twist on Factions.

Jun 21, 2013
^I totally agree. It sounds very fun and indicative of the tone in the game. I just would view it as a "the lab" kind of mode, something to just mess around in with a bunch of friends. But, I think it would be a nuisance trying to kill another player when all of a sudden blindsided by a bloater lol.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 4 of 15 (362 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
6889 posts

Jun 21, 2013

just a mode where it's a few of you vs. 50 bloaters at once. With nothing but a 2x4.

Oh, I'm just leaving. -Best Uncharted character ever
Message 5 of 15 (357 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4821 posts

Jun 21, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:
^I totally agree. It sounds very fun and indicative of the tone in the game. I just would view it as a "the lab" kind of mode, something to just mess around in with a bunch of friends. But, I think it would be a nuisance trying to kill another player when all of a sudden blindsided by a bloater lol.

That's why I mentioned that I don't think bloaters should be in this mode, they could make things a bit hairy Smiley Tongue

tlousig2
Message 6 of 15 (348 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
20195 posts

Jun 21, 2013

Fakehound wrote:

AKyemeni wrote:

That's why I mentioned that I don't think bloaters should be in this mode, they could make things a bit hairy Smiley Tongue

You're right; we'd have to see the end of their kill animation.

Wait WHAT

Message 7 of 15 (341 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4821 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 21, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

Fakehound wrote:

AKyemeni wrote:

You're right; we'd have to see the end of their kill animation.

Wait WHAT

On second thought... *ponders in deep, psychotic satisfaction* Cat Wink

tlousig2
Message 8 of 15 (330 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4821 posts

Jun 21, 2013

sanddude20 wrote:

just a mode where it's a few of you vs. 50 bloaters at once. With nothing but a 2x4.

Notsureifsrs.jpg

tlousig2
Message 9 of 15 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
442 posts

Jun 21, 2013
I would like an infected horde mode. I spent a lot of time in arena for uncharted 3.
Message 10 of 15 (280 Views)
0 Likes