Nov 19 2013
By: Bovrillor Lombax Warrior 108 posts

Lack of colourblind support is maddening

53 replies 9578 views Edited Nov 19, 2013

Around 10% of men and 5% of women suffer from at least one of the many forms of colour-blindness, myself included.

As a result, I find playing as Fireflies significantly easier than playing as Hunters. The yellow HUD is easier to see, and friendly bombs are easily identified (whereas distinguishing a blue bomb from an enemy device is near-impossible, I have to pre-emptively try to 'tag' every bomb when playing as a Hunter).

Given how most developers implement colour-blind support of some form into their games, I find it strange and irritating that Naughty Dog don't. Particularly since I hate playing as Fireflies (both for story reasons, and because the chap on the 'customise' screen is SOOOO ugly - another issue I wish ND would address).

I discussed this with my clan, and even the non-colourblind members tended to agree that they found the yellow HUD markers etc. easier to spot than the blue.

No doubt the remaining 90% of people will scoff at this post, but a little equality would be nice so I'm hoping ND are listening.

Message 1 of 54 (9,578 Views)
Survivor
2432 posts

Re: Lack of colourblind support is maddening

Nov 19, 2013

Bovrillor wrote:

Around 10% of men and 5% of women suffer from at least one of the many forms of colour-blindness, myself included.

As a result, I find playing as Fireflies significantly easier than playing as Hunters. The yellow HUD is easier to see, and friendly bombs are easily identified (whereas distinguishing a blue bomb from an enemy device is near-impossible, I have to pre-emptively try to 'tag' every bomb when playing as a Hunter).

Given how most developers implement colour-blind support of some form into their games, I find it strange and irritating that Naughty Dog don't. Particularly since I hate playing as Fireflies (both for story reasons, and because the chap on the 'customise' screen is SOOOO ugly - another issue I wish ND would address).

I discussed this with my clan, and even the non-colourblind members tended to agree that they found the yellow HUD markers etc. easier to spot than the blue.

No doubt the remaining 90% of people will scoff at this post, but a little equality would be nice so I'm hoping ND are listening.

A bit presumptuous of you to assume that these percentages apply to gamers as well, isn't it? I have a feeling that the reason ND isn't too concerned about the colorblind is exactly this. Also, if bombs are so confusing, why not just "sense" for them: if they belong to your team, you won't see them. Perhaps you should stop thinking of it as yellow and blue when you actually see it as yellow and gray. Just a pro-tip... Smiley Wink

Photobucket
Message 2 of 54 (9,552 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
17632 posts

Nov 19, 2013
Wow, what a **** response.

[ 39 ] Every time a mine downs someone an Angel gets its wings.
Message 3 of 54 (9,534 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1210 posts

Nov 19, 2013

I feel with you man, I am red-green blind myself and suffering in a lot of games. Lots of developers take this issue into consideration though. One great example is Blizzard with Starcraft 2 who just did A LOT for me with the color-blind mode they released couple of months ago. Love this game and got much better because I can finally see where I CAN build my buildings and where I CAN'T Smiley Wink

Considering TLOU I always play as Hunter because of the reasons you mentioned, but I do not have much issues as red-green is not involved that much. But what annoys me is that the loot drops - parts - have the same color on the mini map as my allies. It is really hard to distinguish them sometimes, especially if the background is also blueish or dark and shines through the mini map, like on Lakeside or other maps. But this should also concern people with "normal" color sight.

What kind of color blindness do u have?

@stardeth:

Sense for them? Yeah right, sometimes, if it is available at that exact moment...

I always mark them as well, because I can be sure.

Gamers don't have the same amount of percent? Concidering how many players are men, it's even higher!

But yeah... Thanks for your support and "Pro Tips"... Heart

Art by Janice Chu
Message 4 of 54 (9,519 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4129 posts

Nov 19, 2013
Stardeth is insensitively ignorant. Ignore him on this subject.

I'm not color blind and never choose Hunters because of the pale blue vs white bombs.
Message 5 of 54 (9,516 Views)
Sackboy
544 posts

Nov 19, 2013

They can't think of every single person in the world. Just play with the fireflies, I don't see a real problem actually

Message 6 of 54 (9,512 Views)
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
200 posts

Nov 19, 2013
With all due respect man

Your probably the only player in TLOU that is colorblind. You seem to have a good way of coping with it while still competing.

Youll be fine
Message 7 of 54 (9,501 Views)
Last Guardian
11297 posts

Nov 19, 2013
The colorblind support IS there. Just choose Fireflies instead of Hunters, and you know that.

If you don't like the Fireflies then that's not ND's problem. Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 54 (9,490 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1210 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 19, 2013

No, it's two - me and him Smiley Wink

But seriously: Let's say there are 100.000 people playing or played TLOU online (I mean, just have a look at the leaderboard, ti's MUCH more) and let's just assume it's all men (sorry girls, it's just for the purpose of explanation) it would be about 10.000 guys being color blind.

I think every big game publisher should deal with this, heck every web-frontend and whatnot designer should deal with this and use color schemes that are working for ALL of us or implement an additional mode that is working for color-blind. There are REASONS why big game developers like Blizzard and others cope with this. ND is a big player, we are customers, and I personally expect a product from a big company to work for me as well (even if I am a "minority" of 10%).

I just can't stand those comments like "man up, you're the only one with this issue". Hell NO!

It's a general question, not only concerning ND!

Anyway, the industry as a whole is going into the right direction.

Art by Janice Chu
Message 9 of 54 (9,486 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1210 posts

Nov 19, 2013
True about the fireflies as "color-blind" mode in this case though, but I am not exactly sure what his exact blindness is so...

Art by Janice Chu
Message 10 of 54 (9,482 Views)
0 Likes