Keyblade Wielder
6810 posts

Re: Machete is OP

May 11, 2014

it's a pruchaseable melee weapon, that can now beat the other melee weapon. When looking in terms of balance, you have to look at it alone, if the weapon had to be mandatorily used with another weapon, then that isn't an effective weapon at all. Mixing up weapons together is fine and all to be more effective, but if that's the only way you can make said weapon effective, then that's a problem.

balance is infact how well weapon A is compared to weapon B. do the pros and cons weigh out to be the same of both weapons? This gets more confusing when comparing vastly different weapons to each other, i.e. the shorty to military sniper or something. But when comparing weapons of the same category, it is obvious to see the machete as a melee weapon, when compared to the 2x4, was completely inferior.

2 durability vs. 4 durability

400 parts vs. 0 parts

5 durability modded vs 6 durability / 2 being 1-hit downs modded (w/ brawler 2)

2 hits to down vs. 2 hits to down

2 hits to down vs. 1 hit to down (modded)

increasing cost of parts to replace vs. luck of the cache to replace

you can combine weapons all you want to make others more effective. doesn't mean that weapon is good now. This is why I keep bringing up the fact that the shorty combo can be used with the 2x4 as well. You can combine most weapons and craftables together to enhance to effect of one another, yet all these weapons were able to be used alone and still be effective. Until now...the machete wasn't. (I also don't see the problem here either since you just said you can still pull off the shorty combo anyway)

This buff increased the potency of the machete alone and also made it beat the modded 2x4. Which is what nearly everyone universally wanted.

Feet
Message 31 of 62 (275 Views)
Naughty Paw
11000 posts

May 11, 2014
^This man gets it.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 32 of 62 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3199 posts

May 11, 2014
Stop saying you can do it with the plank, you know that no one used it with the plank, they freaking upgraded the plank asap
The thing sucked in interrogation? Oh please.
"Just cuz you, and only you, enjoy either devoting your whole loadout to it...."
Oh so by this, does the launcher need a buff? Its very similar to the machete in the beginning of the game. Two hit down, but the launcher gets 3 shots instead of the machete (still not enough for two downs anyway), four loadout points as well. Not many people use it, but those that do,use it with EE2 (brawler 2 with the machete) to make it more effective. You need to devote a "whole loadout" to use it(7 points for both launcher and machete). So does the launcher need a silly 3 quick hit down? Lol.
"They made the various changes to it for balance reasons, if they kept it a 2 hit down, but increased the durability, that would have been 3 downs, or 6 downs from 1 purchase of the machete! That's more than any purchase from a purchaseable can do."
You are fogetting that we have to "devote a whole loadout" to get 6 downs. We also have to get in close range and we can easily be killed by an upgraded 2x4!

I really dont see the point in the end of your post. People found a use for the machete, so we cant mention it? Lol so you just want us to use the crappy two hit swipe huh?
"if all multiplayers were just for fun it would be boring."
Message 33 of 62 (259 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
6810 posts

May 11, 2014

lol at you admitting it's a crappy 2-hit swipe. I've seen people use the shorty combo with the 2x4 all the time, I largely used it as well, sometimes even foregoing the blade and binding for a shiv or explosive rather than modding it cuz I knew I could reliably get 4 downs with an unmodded one and the shorty.

Launcher doesn't need anything. People are saying it sucks and everything, but I don't see that, damage marker and explosion expert enhances it quite a lot yes, but it still downs in 2 AoE explosions, fully capable of taking out a bunch together team alone without enhancements.

I explained myself well and used the machete a great deal, (when not playing seriously or in a party) and it's clear that it got owned by the modded 2x4 again and again, as well as not being viable UNLESS it was paired with something, using just the machete, and nothing else sucked. That was the problem.

It sucked alone

it was ok when comboed with stuff

Feet
Message 34 of 62 (252 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3199 posts

May 11, 2014
Yea i know it is a crappy two hit swipe and that it was only good by comboing it with a revolver or shorty Yea you could get 4 downs with an unmodded 2x4, that is, if you dont die. When you combined it with a gun, it never got owned by an upgraded 2x4. Yea it sucked in supply raid because it never healed its durability.
So the machete sucked when it wasnt combo'ed with something, but when you did combo it with something, boy was it amazing.
I just dont see how ND never intended for us to combine the machete with something. That just is mind boggling to me. They really expected us to use an expensive, 4 loadout point, crappy two hit melee weapon normally, and then put in an amazing, one hit, magnetizing, free piece of wood in a **bleep** box. Really, makes no sense at all to include the machete, unless you combine it with something. I guess you dont need to combine it with anything now, so i guess its great, and you dont need to micro manage its durability anymore.
"if all multiplayers were just for fun it would be boring."
Message 35 of 62 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
6810 posts

May 11, 2014

cuz it's ND

although by the sound of it, they were afraid of making it too OP. which is why it was 4 loadout points, low durability, and not a 1-hit down.

Feet
Message 36 of 62 (235 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1296 posts

May 11, 2014

When you die with any swings left on the machete it resets to 3. Which is great. Meaning the shortychete can get you 2 downs for your 400 parts. And when you die you get another 2 downs. You don't even have to upgrade it now. Just be sure to not use the last swing. 

Message 37 of 62 (223 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
19924 posts

May 11, 2014

sanddude20 wrote:

it's a pruchaseable

I'm just going to point this out.

Message 38 of 62 (214 Views)
Sackboy
460 posts

May 11, 2014

gets what? that machete can kill more effectively on its own now? i get it too. and at the same time its less efficient than it was.

there is/was nothing mandatory. its a simple matter of efficiency (and effectiveness as well).

lets compare it to plank now:

3 durability (1 down) vs 4 durability (2 downs)

400 parts vs 0 parts

5 durability modded vs 6 durability / 2 being 1-hit downs modded (w/ brawler 2)

3 hits to down vs. 2 hits to down (obv speed difference)

3 hits to down vs. 1 hit to down (modded)

increasing cost of parts to replace vs. luck of the cache to replace

doesnt look that much better, eh? still kinda inferior.

the only thing that works in favour of machete now is that in straight up fight it should beat plank. dmg advantage is gone, replaced by speed. combo itself can now be considered better with the plank, actually: works with more weapons and is less prone to being screwed over by spread in case of shorty. machete still stays with you and regenerates but you get the point.

said buff made it a 1 down purchasable at base and not even a 2 down purchasable when modded (on its own).

i personally liked it because it was often a one time purchase that allowed me to have a quick cqc down option throughout the match without spending too much parts on it. not as effective as, say, shotty but more parts efficient and imo it was enough to balance it with other purchasables.

why would i spend 3pts and 400 parts  to get 1 kill (easily interrupted and not really guaranteed, in case the 'you can miss with guns' argument comes up) when i can get 2 for just as many pts and 320 parts instead (and then glitch ammo Smiley Tongue)?

so yeah, there are some cons to the recent changes. but hey, for me it still works most of the time. for a guy in one of the other recent machete threads who was using it with a bow it doesnt though.

Message 39 of 62 (195 Views)
Sackboy
388 posts

May 11, 2014

Fascinating!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bring the Carlton to TLOU

Message 40 of 62 (281 Views)
0 Likes