Reply
Mar 26 2014
By: AKyemeni Naughty Paw 11606 posts
Online

March Q&A Answered!

43 replies 869 views Edited Mar 26, 2014

"Hi guys! So When I played Left Behind I really enjoyed the inclusion of the infected and the hunters in combat at the same time. Are you planning on implementing that idea into factions? It would put an interesting twist to combat, being able to pit the infected against the enemy team. Thanks for reading!" - Cathal-O

 

Thanks for playing and glad you liked the new feature! Unfortunately, due to resource limitations and other technical issues, we won’t have any infected in Factions. There’s a lot of data that applies to the infected and their behaviors. Also, Factions is meant to be a story about the surviving factions going at each other. Infected aren’t really in that camp.

 

"Hi guys, After The Last of Us is out since half a year now, and the SP DLC is released as well, you probably got a huge amount of feedback. What is the one thing in or around the game (main game, multiplayer or DLCs) you would do differently / would like to change in retrospective? I don't take "nothing" for an answer, there is always something :smileyvery-happy:Thanks" - foofighter2634

 

Hmmm…that’s a tough one. There’s really not much we’d change about the single player or the multiplayer. If we had more time we might develop some ideas a bit further but we’re making changes with our patches that address some of those ideas. Honestly, maybe release the DLC a bit more closely to the game launch? That’s probably about it.

 

"Would you please consider a Ranking / Ladder system for U3/U4 and TLOU/2 MP? Matchmaking by "level" doesn't always adequately reflect skill but rather time played, resulting in some very lopsided games." – CritRate

 

We’re always experimenting with ways to optimize matchmaking for all our MP games. Unfortunately, there’s no silver bullet for perfect matches. A ranking/ladder system is a methodology that doesn’t always imply skill either given there are ways to move rank or up a ladder without being skilled at the actual game itself.

 

"Instead of adding more hats like AK said, why not add a color wheel to all hats? For example, the Baseball cap is by default, black. You can access the color wheel and change the color to pink, yellow, blue, red, purple, green, and you get the point. Some hats could have a secondary color like the headphones. The actual headphones would be secondary; the hat itself would be the primary color. Also if we are picking the default headwear, we should be able to pick which headwear. For example, the Hunters could pick between the hair (no hat), the black beanie, or the hood (Everyone loves when they get the hood) Thanks for taking your time to read this and hope you implement this!" - ExOTiC1234

 

The look of Factions was something we wanted to have very aesthetically defined and fixed. We don’t plan to add a color wheel because bright colors might affect the gameplay and the tone of the multiplayer. All elements need to be grounded and tied to the game world and its mythology.

 

"Why did you make so many ridiculous customization items such as the Bird Nest hat for the U3 MP? I don't mind things like an Antique Mask or Bandannas, but a lot of these items make the game look like Team Fortress 2." - RedLegend14

 

The tone of UNCHARTED is a bit playful and light hearted. We added items that played to those sensibilities. Also, one person’s treasure is another person’s junk…and all that. J

 

"Will there ever be any figures, or statues of characters from The Last of Us?" – bioshocksurviver

 

We are working on all kinds of merchandise right now. Once we have something ready we’ll talk about it. In short, we hope so but we need to find the right partner!

 

"Hello guys, Is there a chance of seeing more content of TLOU in other medias, like 3d movies, or comics etc...? Thank you for giving the chance to talk to you guys." – apollyonpt

 

Well, The Last of Us movie was just announced so yes! We might have some other stuff in the pipeline as well…

 

"Will The Last of Us be receiving any type of coop mode, such as a horde mode where survivors fight against infected AI, at any point in the future? Even if it's not a part of the Season Pass, I think a lot of people are interested and think it'd fit this infected apocalyptic world like a glove." - Eternal-CMO

 

I believe we’ve addressed this a few times but we won’t be having Co-Op or Infected AI in the multiplayer for The Last of Us. Technical hurdles and limits prevent this. Factions was designed to be very different than your standard multiplayer experience.

 

"ND, when you are trying to add something new to customization? Like gender select at least." - Brunis_97

 

For which game? We’re working on more DLC for The Last of Us yet. As for the customization for Factions, we wanted it to be random for design reasons and to fit the narrative of Factions.

 

"Why didn't any of the characters in The Last of Us and Left Behind have any middle or last names? I think Ellie would have meant more if she had Ashley Johnson's name for middle and last in my opinion. Ellie Ashley Johnson is what Ellie's full name would be and would add uniqueness and sentimental meaning to Ashley and to the players. Same goes for Joel, Riley, Bill, Tess, Tommy, Marlene, David and any other characters I left out." - L_A_White_Boy

 

 We haven’t really gotten into their full backstories yet. Ellie and Joel had last names early on but the personalizing of going by just a first name created a nice, strong, memorable connective link, don’t you think?

 

Bonus Question:

 

"Let's try this again. Now that the Uncharted 3 DLC maps are free, can you please patch them into the game? And if you make DLC maps free in future games, can you please do the same? The toggle serves no purpose unless you want to exploit match making to find newer players. If that's no good, you could also force players to download the maps in order to continue playing." - SjShane

 

As your question implies, we’ve addressed this before – we can’t patch maps into the game without moving major technical hurdles. It would be re-writing the entire codebase for multiplayer in some instances. They are downloadable for that reason. We’ll consider this for any future games that have multiplayer now that we have some more resource space available via PS4 architecture. 

 

community.us.playstation.com/t5/Naughty-Dog-General-Discussion/UPDATED-Q-amp-A-with-the-Naughty-Dog-Development-Team-March/m-p/43060395

 

 

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 1 of 44 (869 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
Registered: 02/11/2010
Online
11606 posts
 

Re: March Q&A Answered!

Mar 26, 2014

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 2 of 44 (867 Views)
Highlighted
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 07/23/2012
Offline
7091 posts
 

Re: March Q&A Answered!

Mar 26, 2014

2 questions wasted on the co-op/infected mode being in multiplayer! People are still asking this, seriously!!!

 

the rest of the questions met my expectations which ranges from pointless to meh.

Oh, I'm just leaving. -Best Uncharted character ever
Message 3 of 44 (858 Views)
Naughty Paw
Registered: 02/11/2010
Online
11606 posts
 

Re: March Q&A Answered!

Mar 26, 2014

sanddude20 wrote:

2 questions wasted on the co-op/infected mode being in multiplayer! People are still asking this, seriously!!!

 

the rest of the questions met my expectations which ranges from pointless to meh.


I don't know why people keep wasting questions like that.

 

ND will just answer those questions again and again. 

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 4 of 44 (853 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 08/06/2012
Offline
3418 posts
 

Re: March Q&A Answered!

Mar 26, 2014
On the bright side all they confirmed was no PLANS on adding a color wheel, but NOT a, "we WON'T add a color wheel," so there is hope they'll add it ala UC3's late new colors.

I mean that and better customization may not be out of the bag yet, although tone or not I don't understand why they don't think people would want to customize who they're playing with…
Message 5 of 44 (841 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
Registered: 02/11/2010
Online
11606 posts
 

Re: March Q&A Answered!

Mar 26, 2014

Nick-A-30 wrote:

 

"Instead of adding more hats like AK said, why not add a color wheel to all hats? For example, the Baseball cap is by default, black. You can access the color wheel and change the color to pink, yellow, blue, red, purple, green, and you get the point. Some hats could have a secondary color like the headphones. The actual headphones would be secondary; the hat itself would be the primary color. Also if we are picking the default headwear, we should be able to pick which headwear. For example, the Hunters could pick between the hair (no hat), the black beanie, or the hood (Everyone loves when they get the hood) Thanks for taking your time to read this and hope you implement this!" - ExOTiC1234

 

The look of Factions was something we wanted to have very aesthetically defined and fixed. We don’t plan to add a color wheel because bright colors might affect the gameplay and the tone of the multiplayer. All elements need to be grounded and tied to the game world and its mythology.

 



So you won't add a color wheel to hats, yet you have a color wheel for emblems? Don't you think those bright colors might affect the gameplay and tone of the multiplayer (btw **bleep** are you talking about. "affect the gameplay" LMAO)?

 

Cut the BS and just admit you don't have time or something. Stop using your age old excuse of, "it wouldn't fit with the world of scarcity theme in TLOU Factons", for every single question.

 

#RantOver


Well, the emblems are just a small patch on your backpack/helmet/shirt.

 

I kinda know what they mean by "affect the gameplay". I mean, imagine having a noob teammate wearing a bright pink hat. He would be targeted the most, since he would be the easiest to notice.

 

I, personally, don't want more colors for the hats and masks. 

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 6 of 44 (834 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 02/26/2014
Offline
2812 posts
 

Re: March Q&A Answered!

Mar 26, 2014

AKyemeni wrote:

 

Bonus Question:

 

"Let's try this again. Now that the Uncharted 3 DLC maps are free, can you please patch them into the game? And if you make DLC maps free in future games, can you please do the same? The toggle serves no purpose unless you want to exploit match making to find newer players. If that's no good, you could also force players to download the maps in order to continue playing." - SjShane

 

As your question implies, we’ve addressed this before – we can’t patch maps into the game without moving major technical hurdles. It would be re-writing the entire codebase for multiplayer in some instances. They are downloadable for that reason. We’ll consider this for any future games that have multiplayer now that we have some more resource space available via PS4 architecture.  


^ This doesn't make any sense.

 

You don't need 8GB of RAM to install the DLC maps. You just need around 1GB of free HDD space. Smiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 44 (830 Views)
Survivor
Registered: 09/13/2013
Offline
2220 posts
 

Re: March Q&A Answered!

Mar 26, 2014

AKyemeni wrote:


This gif again? Smiley Indifferent


|| Twitter: @L_A_White_Boy ||Twitch: L_A_White_Boy ||
Message 8 of 44 (810 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 07/04/2012
Offline
464 posts
 

Re: March Q&A Answered!

Mar 26, 2014

Another useless questionnaire.

 

2 on customizations which we knew the answer to, 2 on infected.

My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/swiftydragon/videos - Last of us tips, and gameplay with commentary.
Message 9 of 44 (807 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 05/13/2010
Offline
4129 posts
 

Re: March Q&A Answered!

Mar 26, 2014
Force the download. Don't integrate the maps. Just force the dlc.
Message 10 of 44 (321 Views)