Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sackboy
460 posts

Re: Melee only interrogation - Machete "owns" flamethrower/shotty

Dec 6, 2013

of course its notable.

plank to do the same needs 50dmg done on the enemy. machete like 30. 

i use it with shorty and often was in a situation where shorty / plank didnt work due to range. machete does. it also works with revolver for example. plank doesnt unless you shoot twice.

its all about speed here.

Message 21 of 48 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5886 posts

Dec 6, 2013

i use the 2x4 shorty thing all the time in interrogation. It works nearly all the time, beating out modded 2x4s as well. I'm not saying machete can't do it, it is just that, a regular FREE 2x4 can do it also, still no reason to choose a machete over a 2x4.

True Balance:
We felt that the Hunting Rifle wasn’t effective enough at mid-range due to its very slow fire rate. While every weapon doesn’t have to be as effective at every range, so much combat occurs at short to mid ranges in The Last of Us that we felt the Hunting Rifle felt was not effective in enough situations. By increasing its damage the Hunting Rifle user is now more likely to get a down on a wounded player, or can combo a Hunting Rifle with a pistol to try and fight effectively at mid-range.
Message 22 of 48 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1421 posts

Dec 6, 2013
Im not sure who these testers were for ND that made them think it was op unless it was a four load out point weapon because in my eyes even at three load out points i still wouldnt use it.
I shoot you first, I die= you lag. Vice versa not applicable.
Message 23 of 48 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Host
8715 posts

Dec 6, 2013

sanddude20 wrote:

i use the 2x4 shorty thing all the time in interrogation. It works nearly all the time, beating out modded 2x4s as well. I'm not saying machete can't do it, it is just that, a regular FREE 2x4 can do it also, still no reason to choose a machete over a 2x4.

There is a reason:

Special Executions. My only reason that I have a machete only loadout.

Message 24 of 48 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1421 posts

Dec 6, 2013
One or two load out points and I would use it. As it stands now nooope.
Message 25 of 48 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
460 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 6, 2013

yes, so do i. and i still get machete after upgrading my main weapon (or earlier, depending whether i have plank or not).

it feels faster* to me and is more reliable (again, dmg/range).

not saying it totally owns plank cos hey, 4 loadout pts / 400 parts vs free for all.
it does work better if you commit to it tho.

is it worth it? to me yeah. dem executions.

ps. first burst, now machete. not everything has to be easy, powerful and/or cheap (as in, not expensive). niche gear can stay niche. let FT buff be a warning sign.

*i cant say for sure if machete actually hits faster than plank or if the delay between shot / hit is shorter (like shorty having shorter delay between L1 -> shot than revolver etc.). cant really test it either unfortunately.

Message 26 of 48 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1421 posts

Dec 6, 2013
To me it for the load out points should unquestionably be a weapon that you dont have to justify its effectiveness.

Shot gun owns shorty
Mil sniper owns hunting rifle
Assualt rifle owns sar
Machette loses to modded 2x4 waaaaaa

Sorta doesnt make sense to me.
Should at least tie with modded 2x4.
Message 27 of 48 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
463 posts

Dec 6, 2013

Seems like majority of the buff suggestions seem to make the machete another "no skill" weapon. The game as it is right now is pretty much loading up on parts early on and then switching to shotgun/flamethrower.  On the other hand if you were to reduce the cost of machete (3 loadout points and maybe 300 to buy) it still wont be enough since flamethrower/shotgun would still be a better choice. Gunplay is already pretty small in this game (games are decided upon which team has more bombs, moltovs, shotgun, flamethrowers), I rather they leave the machete or just reduce the cost. Either that or make machete, shotgun, flamethrower all 3 loadout points with equivalent purchasing cost.

My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/swiftydragon/videos - Last of us tips, and gameplay with commentary.
Message 28 of 48 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5886 posts

Dec 6, 2013

that's the only edge machete has over 2x4. It swings faster. But with weaker durability, an insane cost and still needed 2 hits to down, same as 2x4, it is rarely beneficial in most cqc cases.

there's a difference between "niche" and outright useless. And to me useless weapons are just as bad as OP weapons in a game. Every close-quarters weapon can beat a machete, while at the same time every other close-quarters weapon out there is cheaper to use than the machete, that right there is a problem.

Also committing to it isn't saying much either. Why should a single weapon need literally half of your resources to be somewhat effective when most other things can do just as good and often much better than it at a cheaper cost. There's a reason you rarely see a machete outside of survivors, even when the welfare system starts giving you free ones

True Balance:
We felt that the Hunting Rifle wasn’t effective enough at mid-range due to its very slow fire rate. While every weapon doesn’t have to be as effective at every range, so much combat occurs at short to mid ranges in The Last of Us that we felt the Hunting Rifle felt was not effective in enough situations. By increasing its damage the Hunting Rifle user is now more likely to get a down on a wounded player, or can combo a Hunting Rifle with a pistol to try and fight effectively at mid-range.
Message 29 of 48 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5886 posts

Dec 6, 2013

also, buffing the machete may actually help, so people have an actual choice when picking up the 2x4 or choosing the machete instead so most games don't end up with 6-8 players running a modded 2x4 the whole match.

True Balance:
Message 30 of 48 (102 Views)
0 Likes