Lombax Warrior
193 posts

Re: Michael Jackson shiv: legit tactic?

Nov 18, 2013

Totally legit. I'm a Souls series fan, so circling my enemy for a backstab is something I do on a daily basis and TLoU just enables me to continue this trend.

To be fair, when someone tries to melee me I mostly rely on Flamethrower and burn them. Only in cases when I'm out of fuel, or I got jumped by the guy trying to melee me, I'll Shiv him. Shivving someone who tries to punch you is perfectly alright, but I kinda disagree to shiving someone who is shooting at you only because they can't turn around fast enough to counter your sprint to their back. The reason why I think Shivving melee attackers is alright is because their frigging fists ignore the steel plates of my armor which is just horses***. I can accept Machete and 2x4 ignoring armor, but not bare hands, sorry.

Message 41 of 204 (333 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 18, 2013

Is it a legit tactic? Yes.

Is it a good tactic? No.

IMO it has it's time and it's place, like if you have a team-mate behind you, or one distracting them to the side or something. But if you ruish someone down to do this, make no mistake that if you get a shiv kill against someone melee-ing you, it was either because they're ignorant and inexperienced , they made a crucial mistake, or lag.

Just to clear up: Anything in the game possible to do = legit tactic. Question should be "Do you think it should be a legit tactic?", not whether it is one.

___________________________________________________________________________________
PSN - ArctiC_HazE--

UK player, terrible connection, but add me if you wanna play.
Message 42 of 204 (311 Views)
Limit Breaker
17622 posts

Nov 18, 2013

ArcticHaze- wrote:

Just to clear up: Anything in the game possible to do = legit tactic. Question should be "Do you think it should be a legit tactic?", not whether it is one.

This.

[ 39 ] Every time a mine downs someone an Angel gets its wings.
Message 43 of 204 (300 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
486 posts

Nov 18, 2013

TomTomRiddle wrote:
I think it's a cheap way to kill someone who's better than you with a gun at close range, and I think it's abusing how the shiv works if the Naughty Dog Gods intended it to a reward for being stealthy but if they intended for you to sprint at someone zig zagging and get behind them and shiv them then I guess I can't complain. But it is a little bias at times due to the delay between players because a lot of the times this happens to me I turn around but I still get shivved and in that sense it's abusing the delay. So my answer is it is a legit way to get a kill sometimes if you are actually quick enough before they turn around but still very cheap and an escape plan for players who are facing an opponent who's better than them with a gun.

I never really attempt this shiv dance on someone shooting at me, but i'll most likely try it every time if they start to punch me, seems actually as a good tactical choice as you may be facing people with brawler 2 often, and well, i run a revolver setup only often, so being able to fight back when i'm out or low on ammo is a must. Smiley Tongue

But at the end of the day, most of the kills i get from shiv are because i actually managed to sneak behind someone, or to stop an interrogation, the shiv dance tactic isn't really a widespread thing, rarely had it done on me.

Message 44 of 204 (280 Views)
I Only Post Everything
913 posts

Nov 18, 2013

It's a legit and good tactic! I ever do it when someone just run to me and spam Melee just to 2-hit me. Is it my fault when the enemies aren't shoot me befor they hit me with 2x4? 

Also I don't let them kill me because they just could go to a Toolbox and upgrade 2x4 so they get a free Kill against me and my Mates! 

Also it's funny to hear 300 LvL Guys with 5KDR or so raging.

You mean the hardest weapon in the game to master and get good with and actually requires skill DOESN'T need a nerf?!?
Get outa here." -dh0rmazine
Message 45 of 204 (249 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
927 posts

Nov 18, 2013

lvankov wrote:

TomTomRiddle wrote:
I think it's a cheap way to kill someone who's better than you with a gun at close range, and I think it's abusing how the shiv works if the Naughty Dog Gods intended it to a reward for being stealthy but if they intended for you to sprint at someone zig zagging and get behind them and shiv them then I guess I can't complain. But it is a little bias at times due to the delay between players because a lot of the times this happens to me I turn around but I still get shivved and in that sense it's abusing the delay. So my answer is it is a legit way to get a kill sometimes if you are actually quick enough before they turn around but still very cheap and an escape plan for players who are facing an opponent who's better than them with a gun.

I never really attempt this shiv dance on someone shooting at me, but i'll most likely try it every time if they start to punch me, seems actually as a good tactical choice as you may be facing people with brawler 2 often, and well, i run a revolver setup only often, so being able to fight back when i'm out or low on ammo is a must. Smiley Tongue

But at the end of the day, most of the kills i get from shiv are because i actually managed to sneak behind someone, or to stop an interrogation, the shiv dance tactic isn't really a widespread thing, rarely had it done on me.

If you shiv from being sneaky then you deserve the kill, the dance thing is lame because its not even sneaky.

Message 46 of 204 (239 Views)
Lombax Warrior
115 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 18, 2013

It needs skill it is not sneaky it is just a ninja move, i think ninjas have similar tactics to get behind someone and cut his throat, you have to be skilled and fast or you will die in the atempt, so it is as legitamte as every other kill in the game.

Only kills that needs to be fixed are glichtes for example if you swing the stick on stairs and cant hit someone, or shoot him behind cover.

sorry if my English is not good, I am no native speaker, +the auto.correction doesn't work in this forum o0
Message 47 of 204 (236 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
927 posts

Nov 18, 2013

Forest--H wrote:

It needs skill it is not sneaky it is just a ninja move, i think ninjas have similar tactics to get behind someone and cut his throat, you have to be skilled and fast or you will die in the atempt, so it is as legitamte as every other kill in the game.

Only kills that needs to be fixed are glichtes for example if you swing the stick on stairs and cant hit someone, or shoot him behind cover.

That shiv dance shiv ISNT from behind, many many times it works just being from the side with the shiver still visible.

Message 48 of 204 (225 Views)
Lombax Warrior
97 posts

Nov 18, 2013

I dunno. When there's a lot of lag it is a really cheap tactic. I've had occasions where I'm shooting somebody and then I'll just magically be shivved like half a second later.

When it's not laggy I don't mind, because you can usually see someone trying to go for it and react. And I literally never punch someone unless I'm out of shorty ammo or reloading.

But I think it is a bit dodgy doing it online.

Message 49 of 204 (221 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 18, 2013

Is it legit? No. It's one of shortcoming of game design. It wouldn't happen in real life, don't tell me that in real life I'd have to wait for a swing animation to play out giving time to attacker to run around behind me to do a shiv kill. 

This shiv tactic is very similar to a lethal backstab mechanic in Dark Souls, when players would be dancing around each other trying to catch that angle that allows to perform a backstab move. Once again, if you picture it in real life it would look incredibly silly and I'm pretty sure that's not how knights were fighting during medieval. 

Same goes for dropping a bomd right before you're get nailed with 2x4. When the hit that animation starts you're locked in and can't get away, In real life you'd drop 2x4 and run away from the bomb. 

Any game has design issues that can be exploited. And if they do get exploited then it's a cheap way of getting an edge over someone. I don't have a whole lot respect for players havely relying on these shortcomings.

Message 50 of 204 (212 Views)
0 Likes