Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 08 2013
By: fadecy Lombax Warrior 97 posts

Opinions on Flamethrower Balance?

206 replies 1389 views Edited Nov 8, 2013

I think we all know the flamethrower is a little overpowered right now. I've had survivors matches where 3/4 people are using it.

People are using it as a shotgun alternative. Throwing on armour and just charging upto you to get a free kill. I'm not the only one who feels like this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/thelastofusfactions/comments/1q5j6r/survivors_mode_has_become_a_flamethrower...

I think it needs a slight nerf.And i say that as someone who has a flamethrower loadout where it is my primary weapon.

I think it either needs a range nerf, so that people can run away if you don't get the jump on them.
Or it needs it's 'delay' back but not as bad as it was pre patch. just a nice middle ground.

Either that or simply make it so that it doesn't brake armour, but people still get 50% reduced damage against it

So it kills slightly slower when people have armour on giving them time to react. This wouldn't likely make a difference stealth kills but it would help stop people just sprinting up to someone holding R1 and getting a free kill.

I'd really rather they not make it 3 points to try and balance it because it's nice having a 2 point purchasable

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 207 (1,389 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
329 posts

Re: Opinions on Flamethrower Balance?

Nov 8, 2013
If ND nerfs the flamethrower "slightly" then the modded 2×4 need to be nerfed as well. It's by bar the most annoying thing in the game. I've found ways to adapt and defend against it but 80% of players spam it so much.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 207 (1,383 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
329 posts

Nov 8, 2013
Far*** (I hate mobile text as well lol)
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 207 (1,382 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
97 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 8, 2013

There's a pretty easy way of balancing it that people might not like.

Give punching stopping power. So that if you punch someone twice it stops them swinging. I may be mistaken but I think that this would give about the right timing for them to be able to down you if they surprise you but if they just charge at you with armour you can defend yourself.

Sure some guns have stopping power but the problem is that the slow cursor speed makes it hard to aim when enemies are point blank.

Either that or they could just give the flamethrower stopping power? But also include some of the nerfs I mentioned before.

Also I know this probably isn't the place for it. But they could make the shotgun and molotov more balanced by giving them some start up time. For example lowering the shotgun's rate of fire a little bit. As it is now if you don't also have a shotgun you're screwed no matter what close range, and given that this is a close range game for the most part...

And for the molotov make it so that you have to light it before you throw it, but that lighting it means that you cannot put it away again, or if you do it disapears. And make it so that lighting it takes a second or so. It would add some risk reward and encourage people to use it more strategically rather than whip it out whenever they have one to get a free kill.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 207 (1,375 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1714 posts

Nov 8, 2013

Adapt and stop asking for nerfs. Flamethrower was buffed less than 2 mos ago!! STOP this cyclical nerfing ND.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 207 (1,320 Views)
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Nov 8, 2013

I like your idea about the molotov having to be thrown once is lightned up.

As for the FT, i think it's balanced as it is, it eats through ammo quickly enough and has a little lag when starting it out.
Plus, it's pretty much useless when  out of it's effective way, unlike for example the shotgun (the other close range power weapon), wich still deals solid damage mid-range.

As for the people charging you with the FT, i'd suggest shooting them repeatedly before they get too close.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 207 (1,308 Views)
Big Daddy
16258 posts

Nov 8, 2013
The flamethrower doesn't need a Nerf.

Even if it's used as much as you say on survivors, its not used more than the shotgun in supply raid.
I am usually the only one using it in interrogation. The game has three modes.

Also, if armour wearing flamethrower users are sprinting up to you, you can... Sprint away... Give the community time to adapt tactics before changing weapons.

The Biggest Lies

5.) The hats aren't the surprise.
4.) Mods knows what they're doing.
3.) It doesn't fit the world paradigm.
2.) I'm not in it for the money.
1.) The player pool will be consolidated.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 207 (1,285 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
97 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 8, 2013

JcKiller617 wrote:

I like your idea about the molotov having to be thrown once is lightned up.

As for the FT, i think it's balanced as it is, it eats through ammo quickly enough and has a little lag when starting it out.
Plus, it's pretty much useless when  out of it's effective way, unlike for example the shotgun (the other close range power weapon), wich still deals solid damage mid-range.

As for the people charging you with the FT, i'd suggest shooting them repeatedly before they get too close.

yes but as it's only two points you can just buy ammo and have it on the side when you need it.

And on small maps like bookstore with lots of cover and multiple levels sometimes you don't get the chance to shoot them. Especially when they have armour on. I know you can shoot people in the legs but there's huge presure on you to hit your shots and if you miss a single one you're dead.

The flamethrower still deals damage at mid range. I've been killed multiple times running away when I've been like 5 meters away. And the key difference is that the shotgun only downs, not executes and lets everyone know where you are. It can take 2 or 3 shots to get a kill.

I can EASILY get 2 kills with one flamethrower ammo set (30 units)

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 207 (1,284 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16258 posts

Nov 8, 2013
Wait...certain weapons are better on certain maps?

Rly??

The Biggest Lies

5.) The hats aren't the surprise.
4.) Mods knows what they're doing.
3.) It doesn't fit the world paradigm.
2.) I'm not in it for the money.
1.) The player pool will be consolidated.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 207 (1,280 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1290 posts

Nov 8, 2013
No duh scoot but only dem noobz be using dat famethrower on da small maps cuz dats scrubby.
Pros like me be uzing da mitlitary sniper on dat high school map cauz it eleet!
I shoot you first, I die= you lag. Vice versa not applicable.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 207 (1,267 Views)