Uncharted Territory
1326 posts

Re: Opinions on Flamethrower Balance?

Nov 14, 2013

A bit late to the part here, but I DO agree that the flamethrower could use some type of nerf. For the damage it does, and connsidering the fact that it's a kill with no down, it's really **bleep** strong.  Add to that hthe fact that it's 2 loadout points, has a large area of effect, and barely has to be aimed and it adds up to a weapon that I'd have to say is a bit overpowered.  I watched the other day as my teammate came around the corner to fight a flamethrower. My teammate fired his shotgun instantaneously, and got the down.  In that miniscule fraction of a second the enemy had fired enough flames to kill him outright.  IMO, the ability to do something like that should cost more than 2 loadout points and be quite a bit more dificult to do.

On the topic of the MS, it's a completely different situation.  It's not an easy weapon to use.  The forced scope makes things dificult except at long range, it costs 4 loadout points, its ammo is expensive, and the only time it's actually capable of outperforming El Diablo is on an unarmored headshot.  Other than that it does exactly the same damage.  And if you try sniiping you'll notice that, in supply raid at least, unarmored heads are extremely rare.  Anyone who's NOT sniping has plenty of options against armor.  You can shoot for their legs, or break off their armor with a bomb/molotov, or spend the couple extra bullets to just shot straight through it, since your clip will hold enough amo to break through AND down them.  But for snipers, the only way to effectively use their weapon is by shooting heads, and unfortunately helmets aren't damaged by anything but bullets.  And once you've burned that first shot breaking off their helmet they're going to have plenty of time to get behind cover, evade, and/or pop on more armor.

Please use plain text.
Message 181 of 207 (236 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5367 posts

Nov 15, 2013

an insta-kill that only reaches a few feet in front of you. Totally OP when you consider everyone has the ability to craft a throwable version...

Don't you even! You think you die, and that's that?! Huh?! You think you die an' everything'll be sugar and rainbows?!
 photo LAG.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 182 of 207 (233 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1326 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 15, 2013

sanddude20 wrote:

an insta-kill that only reaches a few feet in front of you. Totally OP when you consider everyone has the ability to craft a throwable version...

Using the molotov as a guage for whether or not something is too strong is...just beyond silly.  And since the only other firearm that can outright kill somebody is the Military Sniper, I think it's a far more valid comparison.

Please use plain text.
Message 183 of 207 (223 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5367 posts

Nov 15, 2013

the range is vastly different, and when compared to other purchaseables, although it instantly executes, it is still about equal with the others in lethality, which it should be.

What's silly is thinking it is OP because it can execute right away when we have another purchaseable that does that as well as a few other things in general. when it still only fits a certain parameter of where it can be used, whereas all other purchaseables(let's ignore the machete here) can be used in a variety of situations and ranges.

Don't you even! You think you die, and that's that?! Huh?! You think you die an' everything'll be sugar and rainbows?!
 photo LAG.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 184 of 207 (215 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1326 posts

Nov 15, 2013

sanddude20 wrote:

the range is vastly different, and when compared to other purchaseables, although it instantly executes, it is still about equal with the others in lethality, which it should be.

What's silly is thinking it is OP because it can execute right away when we have another purchaseable that does that as well as a few other things in general. when it still only fits a certain parameter of where it can be used, whereas all other purchaseables(let's ignore the machete here) can be used in a variety of situations and ranges.

The range is extremely limiting, yes, but within its effective range there's no contest.  It will almost instantaneously kill anybody, regardless of whether or not they have armor, and likely destroying their armor if they do, with almost no aiming involved.  Anything else that instant kills takes at least some degree of aiming or is extremely situational.  While the range might be extremely limited, the fact that there's absolutely nothing you can do to counter it within is dumb.  Even if you lay them out with a shotgun, which is 3 points to the flamethrowers 2, the fight will typically end with you dead and them downed.  I'm not sure how it was decided that this was only worth 2 loadout points, but to me it seems effective enough at what it does to be worth at least 3.

Please use plain text.
Message 185 of 207 (208 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5367 posts

Nov 15, 2013

Everytime I saw a shotgun go against a flamethrower, unless the guy with the FT shot notceably sooner or flanked the shotgunner, the shotgun won head-to-head almost all the time. Not to mention the shotgun has more range, and can be effective in taking out multiple enemies in succession, whereas the slow moving flamethrower can't unless within close proximity.

I'm not sure why people don't see that when compared to other purchaseables it costs that much because IT IS LIMITING, yes it is a monster in close range, but 100% useless in medium range and 100% useless in long-range, whereas the assault rifle, shotgun, el diablo, and military sniper can still be used out of their effective ranges, albeit with less effectiveness, still be usable.

photo LAG.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 186 of 207 (200 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
15643 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 15, 2013

(Well, it's not 100% usless at medium and long range.

I've used it to mark people and bombs...)

The flamethrower is fine.   You just don't like it.

Strafe to avoid the shotgun?  You can back up to avoid the flamethrower.

The flamethrower simply isn't OP.  It's use numbers indicate this.  If it was that overpowered and easy to use, everyone would be using it.  That's what game communities do, like water they seek the lowest level.  Sorry you're unable to avoid it.

Please use plain text.
Message 187 of 207 (182 Views)
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 15, 2013

Let me educate those who believe nerfing is the answer to everything. When people had a issue with mollies the nerf brigade called for a EE2 nerf so ND nerfed EE2. Nerfing things puts people off of using them so some people ditched EE2 for Brawler 1 perk hence a rise in 2x4s lasting longer which resulted in the nerf brigade calling for a 2x4 nerf. ND nerfed the 2x4 and Brawler 1 perk so what did some people ditch the Brawler perk for? yes the flamethrower. Hence a rise in flamethrowers which resulted in the nerf brigade calling for a flamethrower nerf. What will happen if the flamethrower gets nerfed? some people will ditch the flamethrower for the shotgun and there will be a rise in shotguns then there will be shotgun nerf threads. Anyone see a pattern here? This is why Im against all nerfing because its a neverending vicious cycle that does not address the problem. The problem is that some people refuse to adapt in beginning so causes others to continually adapt because of the nerf brigade.

(Q) Whats the difference between a hacker and a booster? (A) They both use different unlegit methods to achieve the same goal.
Please use plain text.
Message 188 of 207 (178 Views)
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Nov 15, 2013

If we all adapt in beginning then none of us would have to keep adapting everytime the nerf brigade got their knickers in a twist. Hey in the beginning there were things I didn't like about TLOU MP but I adapted like most people do. Its the few individuals that continually causes the whole community to keep adapting because of their refusal to accept its them who has the problem with adapting and not the weapon thats the problem. Some people believe its wrong for me to dislike all nerfing but those are the types that will say no nerfing to most weapons/perks but when they get to a weapon/perk that they dislike they are suddenly all for nerfing it. Even if I find something that I find difficult to counter Ill not request a nerf because I believe in standing by my words whether or not it benefits me or not. Like my views, dislike my views but in the end its you with the problem not the flamethrower.

(Q) Whats the difference between a hacker and a booster? (A) They both use different unlegit methods to achieve the same goal.
Please use plain text.
Message 189 of 207 (174 Views)
I Only Post Everything
716 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 15, 2013

From what i have learned in 30 years of gaming about whats op and whats not is this simple truth.
People who hate a certain weapon dont want it just nerfed, they want it gone.
They hate it period.
Either because they cant use it effeciently, or it dampers their play style.
When it comes to gun balance this game is fine.
When this game first came out players were screaming about the bow and how op it was.
My thoughts : try using it first, youll change your mind.

I had a match last night where i was 12-1 and that whole freaking match i was surviving of smoke bombs and getting screwed by the crate.
I decided to choose my load out with the FT so if i died i would have some thing atleast to counter the mega welfare system i was working against.
I killed the final two guys with the FT.
In the lobby the guys were screaming at me for using it and how much of a noob i was for using it and a whole lot more was said the i cant post due to forum rules.
We, both teams were all 150+, myself being 230. There are no excuses.
Lets get this straight, i went 12-1 with the same gun they had (sar), but yeah the @#&#@&% flame thrower was the determining factor in that match. Smh. I finished with a score of 14-2.

If your dying from the flame thrower all the time either your a bad player or your opponet is a very smart player. You choose.

sig.....How many Uncharted fans does it take to change a tire?--- None, they just sit around talking about how much better the last one was.
Please use plain text.
Message 190 of 207 (161 Views)