First Son
4 posts

Re: Patch 1.06: Melee Changes Discussions

Feb 14, 2014

I had become quite good at shiv dancing, that being said, the only successful shiv dances I got were on fellow shiv dancers (this became about a 65% win for me), or someone who doesn't understand that staying in ironsite as long as they do is detrimental. It's not hard to counter a shiv dancer if one has shiv danced enough themselves. You simply manuever (forward, back, left or right) and counter shiv, or get out of ironsites, look towards them and re-enter ironsites. Simple as that.
Shiv dancing has pros and cons (usually more cons) which is why I believe it's fair.

As for realism, this game crosses that boarder much like any other game. best ex: Listen mode.

p.q RIP The Last of Us 3
-02-13-2014- -Patch: 1.06.123-
Message 101 of 163 (294 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6514 posts

Feb 14, 2014
Except you can't account for lag and how it will affect the encounter every time. Also, there is no hipfire so there is no aimed counter in cqc unless you use a shotgun, shorty, or flamethrower.
Message 102 of 163 (288 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Feb 14, 2014

It was typically easier (and more satisfying) to counter shiv-dancing by meleeing.

The problem was that for the past two months, I've not met a SINGLE player (in Survivors, at least) who would fistfight rather than try to shiv-dance. In those two months I've only had maybe half a dozen fistfights, and that was only when the other person had already used their shiv or when I had them cornered where they couldn't move.

Seriously. Six, maybe seven times. And I run Brawler, so I fistfight in nearly every match, often multiple times per match.

Message 103 of 163 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1296 posts

Feb 14, 2014

Fix the smoke shiv and leave it as is. I love the 3 second damage rule. The only problem I see now is the hop over smoke evade. Since you can no longer shiv dance then you should no longer be able to easily dodge smoke bombs by hopping. Its only fair. If you leave it at its current state the shiv becomes almost worthless. 

Message 104 of 163 (283 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Feb 14, 2014

I only get lag when I'm playing with people that are overseas in the early AM's. If there's lag I stick closer to teammates and keep more spacing from enemies as I would in any other game. You don't need hipfire to hit a close target if you can aim well enough, also, smoke bombs, bombs and molotovs don't need to be aimed Smiley Wink though I usually opted for the counter shiv since I could usually get it.

p.q RIP The Last of Us 3
-02-13-2014- -Patch: 1.06.123-
Message 105 of 163 (272 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
3390 posts

Feb 14, 2014
Mad dog mcc Lol what the hell does playing CoD have to do with shiv dancing?
Whats the point of talking realism in a game?
I guess all weapons should kill in one headshot and if you get shot in the arm you cant use your gun or if you get shot in the legs you can only crawl. Cmon man, its a game. ND said it was a tactic themselves.
Anyway, it doesnt really affect me that much now that I've played, I shiv danced noobs who couldnt aim for their lives most of the time. Time to put on brawler and beat the **bleep** out of people instead Smiley Happy
"if all multiplayers were just for fun it would be boring."
Message 106 of 163 (264 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Feb 15, 2014
So true.
This is a great change!
Message 107 of 163 (225 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Feb 15, 2014
Great changes
Message 108 of 163 (225 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Feb 15, 2014

This pretty much sums up how I feel about this patch:

The 3 second rule seems a bit drastic. The shiv dance could be easily countered by a back step, or as it's called a 'dance' between you and the other guy, you gotta know how to 'dance'. In a CQC confrontation you're better off with your knife than aiming with your gun. Snake would not approve of this.

The problem was, that some players were able to get the shiv prompt easily from the side. I know this coz I've been a victim of it too. And even once I still got the shiv whilst my camera was facing upwards. Maybe they could've just fixed it so that in order to get the shiv, you really need to be centered behind your opponent and this includes your camera so that it will actually take some skill to aim. That 3 second rule just seems a bit rushed and drastic.

Message 109 of 163 (218 Views)
I Only Post Everything
960 posts

Feb 15, 2014

I am a shiv dancer myself. I have seen a player (yeah not low level) who ONLY did 3 shiv dances for ENTIRE game. He has 3 downs/executes.

That's quite ridiculous imo, hello we all has guns and items but all he did for the ENTIRE game was looking for target to shiv dance on. Not to mention how about the times he failed.

Now with this shiv dance gone, I wonder what he's gonna do now. Probably goes back to COD huh. LOL

There are times when players literally do not engage a fight with you (guns or melee), you see them, they run behind you and shiv you. I don't play the game with the intention of, "I'm just gonna go dance shiv", I only do that when I catch an opportunity right AT THE MOMENT (since I have free shiv from Covert).

To me, it feels like when players were able to dance shiv, some of them make it a priority or playstyle that they SET OUT TO DO. And I think ND feels that it ruins the kind of MP they're going for.

Not that it's anything wrong (hey, you can play any playstyle you want) and I do understand why it's devastating to the veteran players of this game to feel the awfulness of such a change after 8 months.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Join or Support us!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheLastOfUsVideos

Visit my Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/mrsjimmymare
Facebook - www.facebook.com/mrsjmare
Twitter - www.twitter.com/mrsjimmymare

Message 110 of 163 (275 Views)