Feb 17 2014
By: ndi-edaly Naughty Dog Developer 97 posts

Patch 1.06: Networking Changes Discussions - Part 2

206 replies 2760 views Edited Feb 17, 2014

Please read below and discuss changes about Networking on this thread only. Thank you!

Note: on Feb 16 we pushed a live update (1.06.124) which removed the network update rate increase but kept the lag detection tighter than it was on 1.05.  Please read and give us feedback on your experience.

Networking

• We've been working hard to improve the latency issues that we know cause serious problems in the game.  We have two significant changes that we hope will improve things.  The caveat of course with any change to networking is that we need to test these in the real-world environment to see how well they work:
  • Network update rate increased  << Removed in 1.06.124
  • Tightened lag detection check, added network trouble icon
    • network_trouble_icon.png
    • This change is designed to catch situations where a player is lagging significantly and causing severe problems - this manifests itself in situations like getting downed by a player several seconds after downing that player yourself (most often seen with the upgraded 2x4).  These are cases are usually caused by a severe drop or lag spike in the connection of the lagging player.
    • The lag detection check, which is designed to catch these cases, was relaxed shortly after launch, when we were getting an overly large number of reports of it kicking in.  Our current thinking is that it was relaxed too far.  So this check has been tightened up a lot.  When the lag detect occurs, your character will be frozen in place and you will see the network trouble icon appear on screen <image>.  This is designed to ensure that the lagging player cannot gain an advantage (by killing other players) during this time.
    • Note that while the lagging player is frozen in place the match is still progressing.  The game is waiting for the lagging PS3 to receive enough acknowledgements from the host of the packets it is sending, to then bring that player back up to date with the other players in the match.  What this means in practical terms is that if you happen to be in a combat situation when you trigger the lag detect, after it goes away you might find yourself damaged or dead from events that occurred while your connection was catching up.
    • If you are seeing the network trouble icon frequently, here are some things you can do to improve your connection:
  1. Use a wired ethernet connection instead of wifi (50 ft network cables are extremely cheap these days!)
  2. Avoid any major internet usage while playing - things like torrents, Netflix, YouTube, etc. will have a big impact on your performance
  3. Ensure your NAT (Network Address Translation) is not restricted (Type 3).  To check if it is, go to the XMB --> Settings --> Network Settings --> Network connection test).  Please use Google to find out the best information for your specific router and networking setup for tips on how to adjust NAT type.

Feedback we're looking for:

1. Are you still seeing severe lag situations - e.g. dying several seconds after you killed another player?
  2. Are you getting the disconnect icon frequently?  Do you see it almost constantly or only a few times during a match?
  3. Where are you located?
  4. Are you using a wired or wireless connection?
  5. What is your NAT type set to? (Check in XMB --> Settings --> Network Settings --> Network connection test)
  6. Are there any uploads, streaming video (YouTube / Netflix), or torrents going on while you're playing multiplayer?
  7. Have you tried exiting matchmaking and finding a new match? Does every match you find have the same issues? 
Message 1 of 207 (2,760 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6194 posts

Re: Patch 1.06: Networking Changes Discussions - Part 2

Feb 17, 2014
No problems.
Message 2 of 207 (2,754 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 17, 2014

Rarely some minor lagging (hit detection issues), but haven't seen the network trouble icon even once, neither with 1.06.123 nor with 1.06.124. Switzerland, wired, NAT 2, bandwith enough and to spare (120/10 Mbit down/up).

But it looks like I can get rid of laggers completely by LEAVING matchmaking if I get to the "Searching for ANY game" phase. Just a coincidence or do groups in the ANY category have less strict latency restrictions?

1.06.123 was super snappy, too bad it's gone (for now?)

Message 3 of 207 (2,742 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1513 posts

Feb 17, 2014
Guess we will continue to liver play in a 10hz world.
I shoot you first, I die= you lag. Vice versa not applicable.
Message 4 of 207 (2,719 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3956 posts

Feb 17, 2014
If you get the lag icon, you are a player who is "lagging significantly". Not a little lag. "Lagging SIGNIFICANTLY"
Message 5 of 207 (2,703 Views)
Fender Bender
1955 posts

Feb 17, 2014

Yippeee last patch lasted for 2 days.  2 more days until we are back to full on lag?

"Bags of salt" - Flynn
Message 6 of 207 (2,698 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6194 posts

Feb 17, 2014
Played a few matches with a guy that shot me a good 5 feet around a corner about an hour ago. Nothing else to note.
Message 7 of 207 (2,692 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
717 posts

Feb 17, 2014

ndi-edaly wrote:

1. Are you still seeing severe lag situations - e.g. dying several seconds after you killed another player?
  2. Are you getting the disconnect icon frequently?  Do you see it almost constantly or only a few times during a match?
  5. What is your NAT type set to? (Check in XMB --> Settings --> Network Settings --> Network connection test)
  6. Are there any uploads, streaming video (YouTube / Netflix), or torrents going on while you're playing multiplayer?
  7. Have you tried exiting matchmaking and finding a new match? Does every match you find have the same issues? 

1. No

2. No, never.

3. Culver City

4. Wired

5. NAT2

6. No

7. N/A

Today there was no noticeable lag, nothing to rage about in regards to lag.   I was matched up with non-English speaking teammates on serveral occasions (Portugese) but there was no noticeable lag.  

Apparently the world of scarcity does not apply to all the moronic posters on this forum.
Message 8 of 207 (2,669 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1210 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 17, 2014

Yes, 0-bar warriors are still a thing. People shooting back after I killed them, raising from the dead

1. Are you getting the disconnect icon frequently?  Do you see it almost constantly or only a few times during a match?

I only had it once in around 40 matches for about 2 seconds. It was a lag-fest with everyone <2 bars, allies without sillouette, invisible people, it ended with disconnect from host

1. Where are you located?

Germany, Frankfurt

1. Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

WIFI

1. What is your NAT type set to? (Check in XMB --> Settings --> Network Settings --> Network connection test)

1. Are there any uploads, streaming video (YouTube / Netflix), or torrents going on while you're playing multiplayer?

Yes, twitch most of the time

1. Have you tried exiting matchmaking and finding a new match? Does every match you find have the same issues?

If there is a guy lagging severly for longer than half a minute, I will quit a game. 90% of my matches are fine. Occassionally there is a player lagging, but I have yet to experience a player freezing in place (not yet happened)

However, there is a new breed of laggers now. Before the patch, I experienced lagging players as "sliding" over the map. Now they are having "choppy" movement which is much worse because it is basically impossible to hit them. Very bad.

I have to add that I never had a lot of lag problems, occasionally there was a guy lagging, but it was rarely and I just quit the game. I also often play with people from America, Japan, Asia in general, and did not experience any heavy lag because of that.

Art by Janice Chu
Message 9 of 207 (2,664 Views)
Lombax Warrior
92 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 17, 2014

1. Yes, sometimes. 

2. Not a single time.

3. Central Europe.

4. PS3 Wired directly to router.

5. Type 2

6 Ofc not

7. Yes, i tried it.. Not every match, but It depends on the geographical distance to host/opponent. (EU to Japan/Brazil = guaranteed lag)

0 Likes