Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
92 posts

Re: Patch 1.06: Networking Changes Discussions - Part 2

Feb 18, 2014

1.Were you a late-joiner to the match?

2.Were the invisible player(s) late-joiners to the match?

3.Were you getting the network disconnect icon before it occured?

4.How many player(s) were invisible?

5.Did the invisibility last all match or go away at some point?

1. Yes and no, its not interdependent, in my experience

2. Yes and no, its not interdependent, in my experience

3. No, never

4. Maximal 2 player on the opponent team. Usually 1.

5. Both cases.

0 Likes
Sackboy
368 posts

Feb 18, 2014

ndi-edaly wrote:

Please read below and discuss changes about Networking on this thread only. Thank you!

Note: on Feb 16 we pushed a live update (1.06.124) which removed the network update rate increase but kept the lag detection tighter than it was on 1.05.  Please read and give us feedback on your experience.

Networking

• We've been working hard to improve the latency issues that we know cause serious problems in the game.  We have two significant changes that we hope will improve things.  The caveat of course with any change to networking is that we need to test these in the real-world environment to see how well they work:
  • Network update rate increased  << Removed in 1.06.124
  • Tightened lag detection check, added network trouble icon
    • network_trouble_icon.png
    • This change is designed to catch situations where a player is lagging significantly and causing severe problems - this manifests itself in situations like getting downed by a player several seconds after downing that player yourself (most often seen with the upgraded 2x4).  These are cases are usually caused by a severe drop or lag spike in the connection of the lagging player.
    • The lag detection check, which is designed to catch these cases, was relaxed shortly after launch, when we were getting an overly large number of reports of it kicking in.  Our current thinking is that it was relaxed too far.  So this check has been tightened up a lot.  When the lag detect occurs, your character will be frozen in place and you will see the network trouble icon appear on screen <image>.  This is designed to ensure that the lagging player cannot gain an advantage (by killing other players) during this time.
    • Note that while the lagging player is frozen in place the match is still progressing.  The game is waiting for the lagging PS3 to receive enough acknowledgements from the host of the packets it is sending, to then bring that player back up to date with the other players in the match.  What this means in practical terms is that if you happen to be in a combat situation when you trigger the lag detect, after it goes away you might find yourself damaged or dead from events that occurred while your connection was catching up.
    • If you are seeing the network trouble icon frequently, here are some things you can do to improve your connection:
  1. Use a wired ethernet connection instead of wifi (50 ft network cables are extremely cheap these days!)
  2. Avoid any major internet usage while playing - things like torrents, Netflix, YouTube, etc. will have a big impact on your performance
  3. Ensure your NAT (Network Address Translation) is not restricted (Type 3).  To check if it is, go to the XMB --> Settings --> Network Settings --> Network connection test).  Please use Google to find out the best information for your specific router and networking setup for tips on how to adjust NAT type.

Feedback we're looking for:

1. Are you still seeing severe lag situations - e.g. dying several seconds after you killed another player?
  2. Are you getting the disconnect icon frequently?  Do you see it almost constantly or only a few times during a match?
  3. Where are you located?
  4. Are you using a wired or wireless connection?
  5. What is your NAT type set to? (Check in XMB --> Settings --> Network Settings --> Network connection test)
  6. Are there any uploads, streaming video (YouTube / Netflix), or torrents going on while you're playing multiplayer?
  7. Have you tried exiting matchmaking and finding a new match? Does every match you find have the same issues? 

Hi Ndi-Edaly,

Thank you for taking the time to look into the people who are facing the issues with the new connection/networking changes.

I have played about 3 games post the 1.06.124 patch. One match went through smoothly all the way till the end, but that match did end sooner than most other matches.

The other 2 matches, which are the recent two right now, both are completely smooth all the way during the game, no lags no freezes no stalls. However right at the 3/4ths part towards the game, I get a white plug and an instant disconnect. This is the only time I see the white plug, and get kicked out to the main screen. It is possible that it might be a host quit, since by this time in the game we are winning by a huge margin, but other teammates do not seem to get kicked out, but they DO face some issues as in the end screen not loading or getting stuck at the end screen for a much longer period of time or something similar. These are two games in succession.

Feedback we're looking for:

1. Are you still seeing severe lag situations - e.g. dying several seconds after you killed another player?

Nope

1. Are you getting the disconnect icon frequently?  Do you see it almost constantly or only a few times during a match?

Nope. Rarely and only once at the end when I get kicked.

1. Where are you located?

New Delhi India

1. Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

Wired nothing else works at the time I play on the Ps3.

1. What is your NAT type set to? (Check in XMB --> Settings --> Network Settings --> Network connection test)

Nat Type 2 , DMZ

1. Are there any uploads, streaming video (YouTube / Netflix), or torrents going on while you're playing multiplayer?

Nope. And can't since the only wire from the Modem goes to the PS3.

1. Have you tried exiting matchmaking and finding a new match? Does every match you find have the same issues? 

Well all of the lobbies in those games were different.

Last of Us gameplay, Hunting Rifles Headshots , Custom created Game mode videos and MOAR!

Message 22 of 207 (342 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3641 posts

Feb 18, 2014
The people still experiencing issues have a theme. Can you guess what it is?
Message 23 of 207 (337 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Feb 18, 2014
@blitz i can guess but probably get in trouble.
I shoot you first, I die= you lag. Vice versa not applicable.
Message 24 of 207 (327 Views)
First Son
12 posts

Feb 18, 2014

1. Yes I am.

2. Yes in all the matches I am in.

3. Perth Western Australia 

4. Wireless

5. Type 2

6. Yes most of them do.

Message 25 of 207 (326 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Feb 18, 2014
We really need to get gaming out of this stupid 10hz update rate. 10 tic is hardly enough for any really smooth action games, but what can developers do when people wont take the time to optimize their connections.

I applaud ND for trying to help, but is it really their job to try to figure out how to get the game running smooth for people that wont take the time to set themselves up properly?

Whats next U4 running at 5 tics so dial up nat3 players can play?

300$ on ps3 60 on the game and hours and hours into a perfect load out but wont take the time to set up a lan correctly. Wth!
Message 26 of 207 (325 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3641 posts

Feb 18, 2014
^exactly
Message 27 of 207 (312 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Feb 18, 2014
One of the main reasons BF4 plays like a joke right now is due to the descision to make the servers run at 10hz making it update every 100ms.
They did this because it allows players who have sub par connection to be able to play.
You will experience lag from every one at that rate even at the best connections.
The competitive community basically dropped it because every gun battle is a complete gamble because nothing is as it looks.
You rarely see high levels because every one thinks the game sucks, well except ya know the ones who shouldn't be able to connect any how.

I hope to god ND recognizes these short falls and sets U4 to 30+ hz.

These people that wont figure out their own setups are dragging gamings future down the drain.
We will be stuck with turn based games if this doesn't start getting the attention it deserves.
Message 28 of 207 (305 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
334 posts

3Re: Patch 1.06: Networking Changes Discussions - Part 2

[ Edited ]
Feb 18, 2014

1.Were you a late-joiner to the match?

2.Were the invisible player(s) late-joiners to the match?

3.Were you getting the network disconnect icon before it occured?

4.How many player(s) were invisible?

5.Did the invisibility last all match or go away at some point?

1. No

2. No

3. Yes

4. No

5. No

Nat-Type 2, connection with wire/LAN 100Mbit Germany (many players are from here too, so even if the host is near its still crap i had 4 bars before this patch in many games)

Well lag detection... Yes it detects lag because the game lags now horrible sometimes, i do not need this detector to see that,  before this patch I never lagged like this, this game is unplayable every few matches now, some are 100% ok but most are horrible now, laggy movement cant aim because of lag, there is no benefit from lagging like this. Don't tell me it is because of lag that occurred before, I could play smooth before this patch (minimum lag if the host was very bad every 10-20 matches), while my brother played with the same connection also MP and used the upload for mic etc.. now about every 2-3 games its a laggy mess. .

It is because there are bugs with the patch which cause massive lag on some hosts, and then of course this symbol appears, fix it please i played for the season pass mainly for the multi-player. And this patch has ruined it for many players.

The least one can expect is a proper programming of the game code that makes it possible to play without problems. if you paid for addons. That has nothing to do with the connection, every other game i use runs smooth with good pings so just fix the program code.

someone give me a challenge
Message 29 of 207 (297 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Feb 18, 2014
Lol just got a facebook message from a friend saying he's been playing for a few days using his phones 4g wifi moble hot spot and isn't having any connection issues.

A PHONE BOYS AND GIRLS A 4g hot spot.

Stop with excuses and get you lan straight.
Message 30 of 207 (270 Views)