Fender Bender
3247 posts

Re: Please Nerf Molotovs

[ Edited ]
Jul 15, 2013

scootgar wrote:t

Right, but if the anecdotal evidence from experienced players is that they're dying 50% of the time from them, but the numbers show, player base wide, that molotovs account for only 15% of all kills, then it's not systemic, it's institutional: great players can only really be killed with one shot weapons.

And that would NOT indicate a need for a change.

There were plenty of so-called experienced players shouting as loud as everyone else for the nerfs that destroyed Uncharted's integrity.

What we really need is for the kill and use numbers to go public so experienced players can make assessments on that, too.  Because the better players' ability obviates their reasoning on a lot of issues that would affect the dribbling masses.

I was speaking more in general, not in specific reference to the molotov situation. Player feedback + statistics is ideal yes, but if I were only able to choose one it'd be [filtered] player feedback every time.

A problem Epic faced with Gears of War Judgment recently was that according to their statistics the Gnasher shotgun accounted for the vast majority of kills across all gametypes. They assumed, based on statistics alone, that the other weapons were not powerful enough so they made huge buffs to the weapon damage (huh, reminds me of something...). What they failed to realize was in fact that the reason so many players used the Gnasher was simply because it was the most fun, and was one of the single biggest draws to the multiplayer gameplay. They misinterpreted their stats and figured that most used = most powerful. Luckily for Judgment players, Epic listened to the community and not only reverted that poor decision but worked with them directly to improve the game light years beyond the mess at launch.

That's just one example of course, but history has proven that statistics alone have a ceiling for use in balancing.

Message 71 of 380 (259 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6781 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 14, 2013

Don't do anything to molotovs, I'm enjoying sneaking up on enemies with explosion expert 2 and instant killing all 4 enemies with one molotov.

Photobucket
Message 72 of 380 (257 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
573 posts

Jul 14, 2013
If you get killed by a molotov, you're not paying enough attention.
YouTube: AlexDarkshield and Hardies331
Hardiess331 channel uploads new video daily!
Message 73 of 380 (253 Views)
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 14, 2013

If anything fix Explosion Expert. 

By removing it from the game. Or getting rid of EE Lvl 2. Increasing the radius of explosives is dumb in general IMO.

Or, like someone else said reduce the Med-kit spawns so people actually have to decide whether they want to craft a molotov or a med kit. Rather than just run around and find a med kit like I do. 

But honestly for whatever reason, molotovs never work for me... I have bootleg whiskey I guess. 

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 74 of 380 (253 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3247 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 14, 2013

AlexDarkshield wrote:
If you get killed by a molotov, you're not paying enough attention.

notsureifserious

Message 75 of 380 (246 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14228 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 14, 2013

There does need to be two nerfs I'd say.

Molos are available far too easily if your on a losing team or playing badly on a winning team (see other thread)

and the other nerf is explosive expert 2... That thing is harsh.

I didn't mind dying by them before. but dying when I'm nowhere near them.. ugh. Actually though that booster has the same effect on bombs too.

As far as paying attention goes.. with a 50% radius.. Attention is futile, if you see a molo and run it's still going to kill you. Equally if someone throws a nail bomb with that booster on, your going to be downed.

Message 76 of 380 (235 Views)
Lombax Warrior
116 posts

Jul 14, 2013
I've seen rounds where 3+ molotovs have been thrown at me by the enemy team. Regardless of Crafter 3 or not, it's too easy to make for giving up so little. Hopefully Naughty Dog sees this thread and makes it a point to tweak Molotovs, however they decide to go about it.
sanddude20 wrote:
Maybe every game you have you run into 20 molotovs, who knows, but a smart team can easily counter that.
Message 77 of 380 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
144 posts

Jul 14, 2013

Soraphet wrote:

An instant kill weapon easily made simply by visiting two or three supply boxes- I feel as if this weapon is too overpowered. When you see (and if they're camping, you may not even get a chance to react) their molotov, you're either instantly killed, you narrowly dodge it, or they don't throw it/miss.

So you basically just listed every possible thing that can happen when a molotov is thrown as evidence that they are OP. Right... 

Message 78 of 380 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
248 posts

Jul 14, 2013

A molotov should kill you if you take it in the teeth or nearby.  If you can safely, go try one in real life, the effect is dramatic to say the least.  Some things are just going to kill.  Since starting TLOU multiplayer my other shooters have been gathering dust.  The added tension, need for strategy, necessary stealth and value of the reviver/healer are all because the weapons do serious damage quickly.  If all the proposed nerfs were put in place the timer would run out without winners.  This game was a breath of fresh air after other games were a never ending stream of pointless twitch shootouts.

Message 79 of 380 (175 Views)
First Son
26 posts

Jul 14, 2013

Molotovs are fine, as soon as I see the faintest glare of orange start running.  and they miss 80% of the time...

No exaggeration.

Message 80 of 380 (158 Views)
0 Likes