Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 17 2013
By: BO2TLOU Lombax Warrior 107 posts
Accepted Solution

Question Regarding Sound Settings

14 replies 1932 views Edited Jun 17, 2013

I've been trying to figure out what the best settings are for TLOU in use with the PS Pulse wireless digital 7.1 VSS headset. A little searching around told me the best output format is Linear PCM 7.1, but what should I set center speaker and dynamic range as. My options are:

Center Speaker: Small or Large.

Dynamic Range:  Default, Max, Wide, Narrow, or Midnight.

If anyone knows anything about this stuff, I would greatly appreciate some guidance. Thank you :smileyhappy: 

Message 1 of 15 (1,932 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2122 posts

Re: Question Regarding Sound Settings

Jun 17, 2013
I was wondering this myself. I'm using the Pulse as well, but I have it set to Stereo Headset. Dynamic range normal.

Surely the headset setting is best for a headset??
--
Say NO to paid DLC maps
Message 2 of 15 (1,920 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Jun 17, 2013

I was reading a thread in the UC3 forums that mentioned that you get more out of the 7.1 mode, provided the headset is on Virtual Surround Sound mode. But who knows?

Message 3 of 15 (1,915 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
26 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 17, 2013

With headphones I would set it to LPCM as it is uncompressed pure audio and is as close as you will get to the actual audio master tracks. DTS and Dolby are compressed like mp3 only they are mutichannel. I would set dynamic range to full since you are wearing headphone as you will have no trouble hearing even the faintest sounds. I would use full dynamic range anyway as that is how the audio would have been recorded. Louder does not equal better. I dont know anything about the headset but if you can disable any virtual surround settings I would do so. If you override 5.1 or 7.1 with virtual surround processing you can get phase cancellation and loose low end.

Message 4 of 15 (1,894 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2122 posts

Jun 17, 2013

anybody else have an opinion on this? trying to figure out best audi settings for a Sony Pulse Headset. 

Reason I am using the "stereo headset" option is because the Pulse is not a true 7.1 headset. So I though the pmc7.1 would get messed up. 

I guess ill try switching my options..

I must say though, the sound amazing in my headphones already. and the Bass Impact has been hugely helpful

--
Say NO to paid DLC maps
Message 5 of 15 (1,864 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Jun 17, 2013

Does anyone know what settings would be best for Astro A50's ?

I don't know much about 'Audio' ..

Message 6 of 15 (1,856 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2867 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 17, 2013
There is another thread in this Forum that discusses this. Here is the link.

TLOU - How to Achieve the Best Audio Experience:
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-General/How-to-Achieve-the-Best-Audio-Experien...

BTW: This information prompted me to switch to Maximum from Default on the Dynamic Range Setting for Uncharted 2, 3, and now TLOU. I still prefer DTS 5.1 though as it puts more "punch" in our subwoofers than PCM 7.1.

2544133150[1].png

Message 7 of 15 (1,852 Views)
Splicer
70 posts

Jun 17, 2013

Thanks !

Okay to break it down though lol... What would you recommend for a pair of Astro a50's that support 7.1 ??

and

a 5 speaker logitech system, not true 5.1

Message 8 of 15 (1,840 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2122 posts

Jun 17, 2013

after running some tests in-game with Sony Pulse Heaset, here's what I found:

"stereo headset" and dynamic range=normal is the best setting.

also i put Bass Impact at about 50-60%--it really helps for the sound cue of when enemies start to see you.

When I set it to PCM7.1 dynamic range=maximum, i missed a lot of the "banter dialouge" that that enemies say (i play with subtitles on, and never heard the actual lines).

as for your astros...I assume your audio experience would be great with "headset" and dynamic range=normal.

but since you have true 7.1, just test out the PMC7.1 and dynamic range=maximum. but you can always fall back on my Pulse settings

--
Say NO to paid DLC maps
Message 9 of 15 (1,808 Views)
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Jun 17, 2013

Thanks for all the feedback evryone. Given that gunns actually ran some tests, I'll take his word for Stereo Headset + Normal range, but maybe I'll play around with it a bit to see what I like. 

Message 10 of 15 (1,781 Views)
0 Likes