Jul 21 2013
By: Aureilia Welcoming Committee 12582 posts

Rage Quitting: Why do you do it? Can it change?

60 replies 664 views Edited Jul 21, 2013

Why does someone ragequit? Many fair players of games ask themselves that everytime they see it happening. The answers are for a varied amount of reasons.

Some of those reasons include the selfish style of player who plays for themselves, the team player (Kind of), and acceptance throughout other games.

Quitting isn't anything new from the days I started online gaming back on Quake I have seen multiple quitters, in total in my game time I'd say I've seen over a billion quits. So have most of you too.

I do have a point here. Bare with me.

Back when I first started on Quake, I was rather quick to rise the ranks there, from being a lowly little newbie with no friends to being a member of one of the top three clans of the FT community.. Okay now this is where it gets all tricky, during my time at that clan, we had loads of training where we practiced strategy, strategy even included the strategic quit. If something would benefit the team then we were urged to leave the game in order for the team to get a different player in ASAP.

We were hated for our methods and ideas and I actually understand why. I understood back then and I understand now. I was under the assumption that every game you compete in, I don't understand any other kind of game playing, You are either competing or your not even playing, but the assumption I had was that every team benefits if the player who is doing badly leaves the game.

Until recently. I was playing with someone who actually wanted to win.. But believed you win and lose as a team, Yeah I understood that much better and suddenly I didn't have any of the pressure I used to have to leave games anymore, it simply didn't matter since I could play without worrying as much.

The other reasons.. The personal ones are something we can't change, they are selfish in motive and for personal gain only.

KDR hunters - Not COD players like some would make you believe are the kind of seflish players that would do this kind of thing.

The players who do it for a team reason though. We can do something to fix that right? Maybe through your own parties, letting them know it's okay to do badly sometimes, maybe if it's personal by refusing to party with them?

Don't get me wrong not all the blame lies on the players.

ND also did create a system which encourages quitting, KDR... Week advancement, no quit punishment and so on. ND can fix that though.

We need to deal with our side too though.

Since I heard that comforting thought that no matter what the outcome we win or lose as a team, the only times I've left games have been about 3 games in the last 100 or so I've played.

Immense lag, one of those people with unlimited molos and.. I actually legitimately froze.

Okay I'd say I probably shouldn't have left the laggy one. but if the molo one was a legitimate sport they would have been disqualified.

So what can we do? Am I right that encouragement amongst our friends could improve the situation or am I missing something a bit deeper with some quitters?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 61 (664 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
15217 posts

Re: Rage Quitting: Why do you do it? Can it change?

Jul 21, 2013
A billion?

No.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 61 (654 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
572 posts

Jul 21, 2013
I quit because my team sucks.
YouTube: AlexDarkshield and Hardies331
Hardiess331 channel uploads new video daily!
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 61 (629 Views)
Survivor
2749 posts

Jul 21, 2013

Its as simple as getting mad and quitting.  Its the easier than sticking through a beat down.

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - teffyz
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 61 (626 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1801 posts

Jul 21, 2013

I quit because I'm entitled that ND nerf/buff everything to make me the best player ever. 

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheGOODKyle
http://www.twitch.tv/thegoodkyle
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 61 (617 Views)
PlayStation MVP
16873 posts

Jul 21, 2013
I'm quitting because I'm not going to do poorly/lose just because the lag makes me stop in place, not because I'm losing because of my own inability to kill the enemy.

I'll lose legit, but if lag is FORCING me to lose, then that's a no-no.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 61 (593 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6257 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 21, 2013

There are only a few reasons I would accept quitting, like horrible lag (by this point I'm used to the regular stuff and just grit my teeth/yell), glitching, or some other form of indirect cheating or breaking of the game.

• So if I encounter a team that is unkillable because of lag. There's a good chance I'm not gonna stay.
  • If I encounter a strong team and my team isn't up to snuff, I'm staying. 
  • Also I will never quit if I'm in a party and I still have party members in the match. I will never abandon friends.
  • I might quit a perfectly good match if I end up in one by myself and my team mates are all still in lobby, because that was the game's fault, not mine.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/jfdnnp.jpg

ND Dev Replies: MacGruber310 / sintax201

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 61 (573 Views)
Last Guardian
10811 posts

Jul 21, 2013
It's all relative, some people quit because of stats, others for lag, or because they have to do something IRL.

You can't stop quitting. :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 61 (562 Views)
First Son
21 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 1, 2013

I rage quit through dashboard when I am put in a half finished match on a ****** team.

Edit: profanity

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 61 (557 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

Jul 21, 2013

There's generally two circumstances in which I'll quit a game; either the ping-to-host is awful and my gameplay is suffering terribly, or I'm trying to complete one of the meta-game missions and, due to the team (or my) performance this round, I haven't met those requirements.

Coming in mid-match is a big one for me. I really hate that; it benefits no one. The mid-match join incentive isn't enough to make it actually worthwhile. I'll generally quit out if I get put in mid-match.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 61 (553 Views)
0 Likes