Uncharted Territory
1693 posts

Re: Region Block

Jul 1, 2013

obliviondoll wrote:

There are low-volume regions for some successful games.

There are also lower-volume times even in busy regions. I'm nocturnal. I'm usually still waking up when most local gamers are quitting, so there are even less people in an already low-volume region.

Like I've been saying though... an optional filter would be good. I think I'd rather see it ping-based than regional though.

I am sorry if you live in low volume region that is your problem, if you always play late at night that is your problem.  I want a high quality online game experience give me the option to search for that.  Making concessions for people like this only punishes people like me who play prime time in an active region.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
PS Vita, PlayStation 3 240GB SSD · PSP · PlayStation 2 · PlayStation
Message 31 of 35 (101 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1693 posts

Jul 1, 2013

Bovrillor wrote:

Given that Uncharted generally fails to find ANY matches in my region (Europe) and eventually gives up on 'ideal' matchups, I gotta say this idea sounds hellish.

Plus - if you live in Europe, 80% of the people in any (regional) game don't speak your language. Americans have it so good they don't even realise.

Kyliedog - In theory your statement is accurate, in practice it often doesn't work like that. I'm in Europe, I have high-speed internet.... but large areas of Europe do not. If I'm locked to my region, I'm stuck with laggers, people that don't speak my language or in many cases, simply cannot connect to anyone at all. I get better games playing against Americans generally.

Even introducing optional region lock settings would screw over players in my situation - and there's a lot of us.

So you are suggesting the ONLY solution is to make sure everyone's games world wide should suck? 

When you don't get Hit Markers your multuplayer code fails when your match making allows that your multiplayer fails, when multiplayer fails you lose users and this situation becomes circular feeding itself.

The solution should be to protect the online experience not to try to make everyone happy all the time (that never works).

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
PS Vita, PlayStation 3 240GB SSD · PSP · PlayStation 2 · PlayStation
Message 32 of 35 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
385 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 1, 2013

DoucheVader wrote:

obliviondoll wrote:

There are low-volume regions for some successful games.

There are also lower-volume times even in busy regions. I'm nocturnal. I'm usually still waking up when most local gamers are quitting, so there are even less people in an already low-volume region.

Like I've been saying though... an optional filter would be good. I think I'd rather see it ping-based than regional though.

I am sorry if you live in low volume region that is your problem, if you always play late at night that is your problem.  I want a high quality online game experience give me the option to search for that.  Making concessions for people like this only punishes people like me who play prime time in an active region.

Firstly, as I KEEP HAVING TO REPEAT, I'm not against an OPTIONAL region filter. I'm against a region LOCK.

The game needs to have worldwide matchmaking, and keep that as the default. Unless you specifically CHANGE the setting to limit your matches, it should search for all games. And to be perfectly honest, I'd rather see a ping filter than a regional one, because a region filter would still match players with high-quality connections up with people in rural areas with barely-functional ADSL and provide a worse gameplay experience than when you're connecting to someone on the other side of the world but everyone has 30+ Mbps connections with both stable and low ping. OP is asking for a region filter that's NOT there to improve gameplay, but to try and avoid a language barrier that will only be fixed for ONE region - and even then it won't be a complete solution.

And I'll accept that it's "my problem" about where I live and the hours I keep when you're willing to pay for me to relocate to a new country and help to identify and resolve whatever makes it actually impossible for me to function properly outside of my normal hours. I don't "choose" to be nocturnal. I HAVE to be, because if I try to act otherwise, I stop functioning, and so far, no doctor I've seen can tell me why.

And even though I'm in a situation I don't have a choice about, I'm NOT saying that games need to cater to me exclusively. I'm saying they need to cater to me AS WELL as you. And particularly when I can point out that EVEN DURING PRIMETIME, my region has long wait times on most region-limited searches (whether optional or not). Even moreso when we're not the only region with similar problems even on a lot of mainstream games. Region LOCKS where you DON'T get a choice are just as bad as the current lack of regional search where you ALSO don't get a choice.

Again, to be REALLY clear about this, I'm not arguing against having a ping or region search. I'm arguing against FORCING the regional restrictions on people. OPTIONS, NOT FORCED CONDITIONS.

EDIT: When I say I want a ping filter option, the game currently searches for "ideal" games, then good ones, then throws you into any game you can connect to. There should be the option to lock out the bottom tier, and only get connected to games where you'll get a good connection, and there should be another option to only find games with ideal connection stability so you get the best experience possible. Obviously, changing these settings would give you a warning that matchmaking may slow down (or even stop) if it has trouble finding matches with a good enough connection, but if you're willing to wait for a perfect game, you should be allowed to do so without having to cancel and restart the search every few seconds.

----V^^^V----
I want my meals to think for myself
Message 33 of 35 (97 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
322 posts

Jul 1, 2013

My biggest issue is not people speaking different languages, it's that the connection gets screwed up REALLY BADLY. If I'm the host and people from Japan, South America, and Europe are all in one game, I can't even describe to you how bad the connection is.

When all have fallen, rise above the ashes.
Message 34 of 35 (87 Views)
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
92 posts

Sep 26, 2013

an option to search within your region. (c)

I want a high quality online game experience give me the option to search for that. (c)

I agree, even though my net is fine, it's a tortute to play against people from other continents. I don't mind to wait 5/10/35 minutes for a match. 

0 Likes