Reply
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 11/28/2009
Offline
13011 posts
 

Re: Region Block

Jun 29, 2013

obliviondoll wrote:
Also, this game has been promoted with a heavy focus on single player, unlike CoD and MAG and Battlefield (none of which are region locked, by the way), you can't reasonably expect even the majority of TLoU purchases to lead into the person playing MP.

At least CoD has an option to find local or worldwide players. That's a ping filter toggle.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 11 of 35 (142 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 01/23/2009
Offline
385 posts
 

Re: Region Block

Jun 29, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

obliviondoll wrote:
Also, this game has been promoted with a heavy focus on single player, unlike CoD and MAG and Battlefield (none of which are region locked, by the way), you can't reasonably expect even the majority of TLoU purchases to lead into the person playing MP.

At least CoD has an option to find local or worldwide players. That's a ping filter toggle.


I think you may have forgotten to read the rest of my post. Particularly this bit:

 

"I'm not against an option to search within your region. I'm against the game being LOCKED by region."

----V^^^V----
I want my meals to think for myself
Message 12 of 35 (136 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 11/28/2009
Offline
13011 posts
 

Re: Region Block

Jun 29, 2013

obliviondoll wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

obliviondoll wrote:
Also, this game has been promoted with a heavy focus on single player, unlike CoD and MAG and Battlefield (none of which are region locked, by the way), you can't reasonably expect even the majority of TLoU purchases to lead into the person playing MP.

At least CoD has an option to find local or worldwide players. That's a ping filter toggle.


I think you may have forgotten to read the rest of my post. Particularly this bit:

 

"I'm not against an option to search within your region. I'm against the game being LOCKED by region."


I read that and I agree. I just don't understand why ND devs refuse to implement such a staple feature.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 13 of 35 (134 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/10/2012
Offline
127 posts
 

Re: Region Block

Jun 29, 2013

I'm European but I speak english most of the time. Just because I prefer english above my native language. So if this "lock" would be here I won't be able to play with my american friends? (which is like 80% of my full friendslist?) And I won't be able to make friends with people outside my region just because I can't meet them in the game? 

 

So no, and BIG No for me.

Message 14 of 35 (128 Views)
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 11/26/2011
Offline
938 posts
 

Re: Region Block

Jun 29, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

I read that and I agree. I just don't understand why ND devs refuse to implement such a staple feature.


They probably feel that this would reduce the very dynamic community they have. Once such a feature comes in communities would be divided again based on language and region. I know it sounda a bit stretched but I have found some of my best friends online because of this game. Them being from anywhere doesn't matter to me - its good friendships and excellent bonds that I have formed which would probably not have been possible, maybe?

 

Just a thought.

 

-RyukDG


My YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/TheRyukDG || My Twitch: www.twitch.tv/TheRyukDG
Message 15 of 35 (117 Views)
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 06/22/2013
Offline
102 posts
 

Re: Region Block

Jun 29, 2013

Dynamic community is amazing, game to game you never know if it will be good or you'll have some immortal guy running around with 1 bar. Such a great thing to protect.

 

Missing basic features is pretty why online gaming on consoles is still a joke compared to pc.

 

No ping filters, mostly p2p and at the mercy of matchmaking.

 

 

Message 16 of 35 (113 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 10/01/2008
Offline
613 posts
 

Re: Region Block

[ Edited ]
Jun 29, 2013

obliviondoll wrote:

Which would you prefer?

 

1. 30 minutes or more waiting between matches.

 

2. Occasionally hearing a language other than your own.

 

If you go with number 1, the majority disagree with you, and I think you're an idiot. If you go with number 2, it's easy to see why nobody else wants this "feature".



30 minutes?  Please don't post this crap.

Here is how region filters work on games good enough to include one:

Set it to same region: 2-4 minute wait.

Set it to worldwide: 1-2 minute wait.


Frankly, waiting 2-4 minutes is prefered for a lag free game.   It doesn't need be forced one or the other, games let you decide yourself.

------

How to deal with bombs: "let the bomb down me" - DEATH__MACHINIST
Message 17 of 35 (107 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 10/30/2009
Offline
108 posts
 

Re: Region Block

Jun 29, 2013

Given that Uncharted generally fails to find ANY matches in my region (Europe) and eventually gives up on 'ideal' matchups, I gotta say this idea sounds hellish.

 

Plus - if you live in Europe, 80% of the people in any (regional) game don't speak your language. Americans have it so good they don't even realise.

 

Kyliedog - In theory your statement is accurate, in practice it often doesn't work like that. I'm in Europe, I have high-speed internet.... but large areas of Europe do not. If I'm locked to my region, I'm stuck with laggers, people that don't speak my language or in many cases, simply cannot connect to anyone at all. I get better games playing against Americans generally.

 

Even introducing optional region lock settings would screw over players in my situation - and there's a lot of us.

 

 

Message 18 of 35 (104 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 01/23/2009
Offline
385 posts
 

Re: Region Block

Jun 29, 2013

KylieDog wrote:

obliviondoll wrote:

Which would you prefer?

 

1. 30 minutes or more waiting between matches.

 

2. Occasionally hearing a language other than your own.

 

If you go with number 1, the majority disagree with you, and I think you're an idiot. If you go with number 2, it's easy to see why nobody else wants this "feature".



30 minutes?  Please don't post this crap.

Here is how region filters work on games good enough to include one:

Set it to same region: 2-4 minute wait.

Set it to worldwide: 1-2 minute wait.


Frankly, waiting 2-4 minutes is prefered for a lag free game.   It doesn't need be forced one or the other, games let you decide yourself.


Have you ever - EVER - tried searching for a match in TLoU at any time other than your region's primetime?

 

Because at the moment, I ALREADY have frequent wait times of more than 5 minutes. If I was region-limited, I'd be waiting for easily more than 30 minutes BECAUSE I DON'T GAME DURING MY REGION'S BUSY TIMES.

 

Have you ever played Transformers: Fall of Cybertron? That had optional regional searching. Even in the first week after release, I could only occasionally find a match when region-locked within an hour. The few times I was online during peak gaming hours, I was still waiting AT LEAST 20 minutes for a game when I searched by region. When I searched for a game with worldwide matchmaking, not only was I finding games within 5 minutes consistently no matter the time of day, but I was also very rarely encountering any noteworthy lag issues.

 

How about Armored Core V? That has region locks. You don't get an option. Try finding a match outside your region's peak times and see what happens. If you're anywhere but Japan, you WILL be waiting an unreasonably long time before you find something.

----V^^^V----
I want my meals to think for myself
Message 19 of 35 (97 Views)
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/10/2012
Offline
127 posts
 

Re: Region Block

Jun 29, 2013

Same, I usually game during night time and most of the people are asleep then, I've had times where I literally went AFK for 30min and when I came back it still didn't find a match. But when I made my American friend leader we found players immediately. I can live with the ping filter but please, no region block since then the game will be unplayable for alot of people in  regions other than US.

Message 20 of 35 (91 Views)
Reply
0 Likes