Sackboy
577 posts

Re: Region Block

Jun 30, 2013

obliviondoll wrote:

KylieDog wrote:

obliviondoll wrote:

Which would you prefer?

1. 30 minutes or more waiting between matches.

2. Occasionally hearing a language other than your own.

If you go with number 1, the majority disagree with you, and I think you're an idiot. If you go with number 2, it's easy to see why nobody else wants this "feature".

30 minutes?  Please don't post this crap.

Here is how region filters work on games good enough to include one:

Set it to same region: 2-4 minute wait.

Set it to worldwide: 1-2 minute wait.

Frankly, waiting 2-4 minutes is prefered for a lag free game.   It doesn't need be forced one or the other, games let you decide yourself.

Have you ever - EVER - tried searching for a match in TLoU at any time other than your region's primetime?

Because at the moment, I ALREADY have frequent wait times of more than 5 minutes. If I was region-limited, I'd be waiting for easily more than 30 minutes BECAUSE I DON'T GAME DURING MY REGION'S BUSY TIMES.

Have you ever played Transformers: Fall of Cybertron? That had optional regional searching. Even in the first week after release, I could only occasionally find a match when region-locked within an hour. The few times I was online during peak gaming hours, I was still waiting AT LEAST 20 minutes for a game when I searched by region. When I searched for a game with worldwide matchmaking, not only was I finding games within 5 minutes consistently no matter the time of day, but I was also very rarely encountering any noteworthy lag issues.

How about Armored Core V? That has region locks. You don't get an option. Try finding a match outside your region's peak times and see what happens. If you're anywhere but Japan, you WILL be waiting an unreasonably long time before you find something.

If it isn't primetime set it to worldwide.

Sorry but you've posted no excuse not to include one. 

A bunch of crappy selling games with low userbase isn't a good reason when we're talking about a game that sold over a million already and will sell more.  Add those games you listed sales together, triple the number, TLoU has already still sold more.

------

How to deal with bombs: "let the bomb down me" - DEATH__MACHINIST
Message 21 of 35 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
385 posts

Jun 30, 2013

KylieDog wrote:

A bunch of crappy selling games with low userbase isn't a good reason when we're talking about a game that sold over a million already and will sell more.  Add those games you listed sales together, triple the number, TLoU has already still sold more.

So... uhhhh... which part of "I'm totally in favour of OPTIONAL region searching" did you interpret to mean that I don't want the option of regional matchmaking?

I'm ONLY against region LOCKING, not against an OPTIONAL region search.

Try actually reading what I typed before arguing against a point that nobody was trying to make.

----V^^^V----
I want my meals to think for myself
Message 22 of 35 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
577 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 30, 2013

obliviondoll wrote:

KylieDog wrote:

So... uhhhh... which part of "I'm totally in favour of OPTIONAL region searching" did you interpret to mean that I don't want the option of regional matchmaking?

Try actually reading what I typed before arguing against a point that nobody was trying to make.

You never typed the bolded in anything I quoted, and I did say players can usually choose.

------

How to deal with bombs: "let the bomb down me" - DEATH__MACHINIST
Message 23 of 35 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
385 posts

Jun 30, 2013

KylieDog wrote:

obliviondoll wrote:

KylieDog wrote:

You never typed the bolded in anything I quoted, and I did say players can usually choose.

Post #9 in the thread is where I first said it.

----V^^^V----
Message 24 of 35 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1693 posts

Jun 30, 2013

obliviondoll wrote:

Which would you prefer?

If you go with number 1, the majority disagree with you, and I think you're an idiot. If you go with number 2, it's easy to see why nobody else wants this "feature".

If you have to wait 30 minutes just to get a match going with people in your region than your mulitplayer has largely failed.  I don't think that is the case with The Last of Us.  I am sick of 2 bar ping lobbies where I get NO hit markers.  It's ridiculous and this feature this guy is asking for is NOT UNREASONABLE.

I'd prefer dedicated servers.  I mean Sony just spent all that money on that cloud I think it could be used for more than just saves.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
PS Vita, PlayStation 3 240GB SSD · PSP · PlayStation 2 · PlayStation
Message 25 of 35 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1693 posts

Jun 30, 2013

RyukDG wrote:
For a better experience, yes, an "option" would be great where you as an individual who has all the time could wait for x minutes to find a lobby which gives you 4/5 bars.

The only problem is you don't know what people's bars are like until you actually get into the game and if you quit at that point you are penalized.

I want the region lock.  Give me the option to wait 2 days for a match.  Its an option!  Doesn't hurt you if you don't use it and it gives me a lobby that is playable and not overrun with 2-bar clowns who I never get hit markers on.  You don't get it, this experience for some of us is a complete game breaker.  When you have a direct shot on guys and you get no hit markers in a game that gives you only a few bullets to start it goes south QUICKLY.  I have had matches where Moltovs don't down guys.   Likely because I am tossing it where they were and not where they are because I can't see that yet because of their crappy ping.

Why should I be punished if the pool of players in your area is low?  Can't someone be happy in this scenario? LOL

Message 26 of 35 (62 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jun 30, 2013

DoucheVader wrote:

RyukDG wrote:
For a better experience, yes, an "option" would be great where you as an individual who has all the time could wait for x minutes to find a lobby which gives you 4/5 bars.

The only problem is you don't know what people's bars are like until you actually get into the game and if you quit at that point you are penalized.

Yeap, that's stupid. Why would they change that? You were able to see bars in Uncharted MP beforehand.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 27 of 35 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
385 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 1, 2013

DoucheVader wrote:

obliviondoll wrote:

Which would you prefer?

If you have to wait 30 minutes just to get a match going with people in your region than your mulitplayer has largely failed.  I don't think that is the case with The Last of Us.  I am sick of 2 bar ping lobbies where I get NO hit markers.  It's ridiculous and this feature this guy is asking for is NOT UNREASONABLE.

I'd prefer dedicated servers.  I mean Sony just spent all that money on that cloud I think it could be used for more than just saves.

There are low-volume regions for some successful games.

There are also lower-volume times even in busy regions. I'm nocturnal. I'm usually still waking up when most local gamers are quitting, so there are even less people in an already low-volume region.

Like I've been saying though... an optional filter would be good. I think I'd rather see it ping-based than regional though.

----V^^^V----
Message 28 of 35 (44 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1693 posts

Jul 1, 2013

obliviondoll wrote:

Have you ever - EVER - tried searching for a match in TLoU at any time other than your region's primetime?

Because at the moment, I ALREADY have frequent wait times of more than 5 minutes. If I was region-limited, I'd be waiting for easily more than 30 minutes BECAUSE I DON'T GAME DURING MY REGION'S BUSY TIMES.

Have you ever played Transformers: Fall of Cybertron? That had optional regional searching. Even in the first week after release, I could only occasionally find a match when region-locked within an hour. The few times I was online during peak gaming hours, I was still waiting AT LEAST 20 minutes for a game when I searched by region. When I searched for a game with worldwide matchmaking, not only was I finding games within 5 minutes consistently no matter the time of day, but I was also very rarely encountering any noteworthy lag issues.

How about Armored Core V? That has region locks. You don't get an option. Try finding a match outside your region's peak times and see what happens. If you're anywhere but Japan, you WILL be waiting an unreasonably long time before you find something.

So the solution is screwing up peoples games ALL the time?  There needs to be some sort of filtering at least optional.  The fact is the crappy online experiences are likely more responsible for the lack of players than the online itself.  TLOU is proof positive of this.  Some nights if I get 3 games in a row of immortal people I stop playing it and play Battlefield 3.  Dedicated Servers should be a Next Gen feature.

Message 29 of 35 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1693 posts

Jul 1, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

DoucheVader wrote:

Yeap, that's stupid. Why would they change that? You were able to see bars in Uncharted MP beforehand.

That way less people leave the match.  Dedicated Servers Naught Dog!

Message 30 of 35 (35 Views)
0 Likes