Dec 08 2013
By: jackintheboks Splicer 52 posts

Shiv is broken

61 replies 12275 views Edited Dec 8, 2013

Just a little while ago a mini update was uploaded by ND and since then the shiv has been broken.  I'm sure many of you noticed and I can almost guarantee that they did something with it.

The issue:  There was a lot of shiv dancing that skilled players have been applying to the game and after this update, the gameplay affected is actually the straight and simple sneak up from behind and shiv.  For some reason the triangle button doesn't appear at times and you spam it while right behind them and it doesn't work.  Perhaps the angle has been drastically reduced when behind them? 

The shiv manuever is a lot more difficult now I've noticed when you get behind someone it just doesnt work at an angle slightly off.  It's a skill and you can easily evade it if you learn from your mistakes.  Stop punching and begin using your gun andturn your camera as quick as possible.  There was no need for a nerf to this tactic.

What should have been fixed: Smoke.  I love using smoke bombs, however when you are smoked and the eney is running from a far and finally you do have a chance to move after your stun, you should not be able to be shived.  Unfortunately, the timing is all wrong and the shiver is given an extra second even after you can move to shiv you.  Fix thaT!!!

Anyone else have similar sentiments?

Message 1 of 62 (12,275 Views)
Survivor
2121 posts

Re: Shiv is broken

Dec 8, 2013
Unfortunately, majority of the shiv problems have to do with lag.

Just yesterday, this player had 1 bar and he was chasing me. I turned around and started shooting him, but my charater, 1.5 seconds later, did a 360 and got shivved.
Message 2 of 62 (12,255 Views)
I Only Post Everything
927 posts

Dec 8, 2013

jackintheboks wrote:

Just a little while ago a mini update was uploaded by ND and since then the shiv has been broken.  I'm sure many of you noticed and I can almost guarantee that they did something with it.

The issue:  There was a lot of shiv dancing that skilled players have been applying to the game and after this update, the gameplay affected is actually the straight and simple sneak up from behind and shiv.  For some reason the triangle button doesn't appear at times and you spam it while right behind them and it doesn't work.  Perhaps the angle has been drastically reduced when behind them? 

The shiv manuever is a lot more difficult now I've noticed when you get behind someone it just doesnt work at an angle slightly off.  It's a skill and you can easily evade it if you learn from your mistakes.  Stop punching and begin using your gun andturn your camera as quick as possible.  There was no need for a nerf to this tactic.

What should have been fixed: Smoke.  I love using smoke bombs, however when you are smoked and the eney is running from a far and finally you do have a chance to move after your stun, you should not be able to be shived.  Unfortunately, the timing is all wrong and the shiver is given an extra second even after you can move to shiv you.  Fix thaT!!!

Anyone else have similar sentiments?

when did this update shiv nurf happen?

Message 3 of 62 (12,251 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4076 posts

Dec 8, 2013
It was a hats/masks update only, according to ND. But I've noticed the shiv being much harder to do from behind. It does seem like you have to be directly behind them. No more off angle shivs. But it might be coincidence that we both have noticed the same thing.
Message 4 of 62 (12,237 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
913 posts

Dec 8, 2013

KUUUUUDOs to you! 

Befor 1.05 I was able to make shiv kills STEALTHY. And now? If a Mate gets interrogated and I'm behind the enemy I can't shiv for some reason and that's just one example.

On the aggressive side: When I hardcoreparcour and my character's in the air - behind the back is an enemy. I see him. I still get shivved.

An enemy shiv dances, I can see him very well on my Scrern - get shivved lol. Most of 360-shivver aren't even my character's back.

And Smoke shivs... HORRIBLE. They smoke me and like 1.5 secs I can move but they still shiv me. Smoke-Shiv-Lag gets me EVERYTIME. Not ONCE since month I got smoke shivved WITHOUT that Lag...

You mean the hardest weapon in the game to master and get good with and actually requires skill DOESN'T need a nerf?!?
Get outa here." -dh0rmazine
Message 5 of 62 (12,234 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1530 posts

Dec 8, 2013
Well firstly the shiv maneuver you're talking about is a cheap exploit. You're telling players to use their gun when instead of using your gun yourself you want to run behind them while they're locked into a melee animation. Also, aiming yur gun while somebody is attempting to do this to you is probably going to mean you can't turn your camera fast enough and you get shived.

On the topic of not being able to shiv somebody, I definitely know where you're coming from. I've run into the problem myself and heard teammates who were having the same problem. I've also seen enemies vaccuum my teammates back like 10 feet in order to shiv them, or run straight at them and then, from a few feet away, magically be behind them shiving them. Things with the shiv really don't work all that well.

As for smoke, I know what you mean. Not only does the radius seem to be impossibly large sometimes, but a lot of the time you'll clearly be moving and then still get shived. There's also a window during an opponents swing during with they can be shived, so I think a lot of smoke shivs happen be because people mash square trying to use their scissor stick and then get shived after the smoke because of the messed up shiv opportunity.
Message 6 of 62 (12,219 Views)
Fender Bender
3568 posts

Dec 8, 2013

I have not experienced any difference. I frmly still do not believe the shiv dance is a cheap tactic. I mostly use it against, shorty, el diablo, flamethrower, machete and if i only have 2 bullets or less in 1 or both guns.

Message 7 of 62 (12,211 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
913 posts

Dec 8, 2013
For sure... Shiv dance against 2x4 - ok. But that's all. Sometimes funny how people try to shiv dance even if I'm more than 2 feet away just because I'm aiming. And besides the shiv dance there are more issues which should get a fix. But lol nope. I guess ND will sell us a "Sorry for [insert issue here]" cap Collection. I'll play with "Sorry for not be able to stealth shiv"-Cap. Nobody could read that but it will be a black hat because Ninjas are wearing black.
You mean the hardest weapon in the game to master and get good with and actually requires skill DOESN'T need a nerf?!?
Get outa here." -dh0rmazine
Message 8 of 62 (12,197 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3872 posts

Dec 8, 2013
Lag.
Message 9 of 62 (12,189 Views)
Fender Bender
2562 posts