Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Wastelander
679 posts

Re: Shivs.

Jul 22, 2013

@ MuddledMuppet...

You make several good points but the most important (for me) is that if these are limited to shiv kills, it has the potential to change the dynamic of the game.  I am one of those distance/support players so I doubt I would change my game for this but I would definitely resent it.

I play mostly with friends but when we have randoms, it’s astoundingly annoying when they go off on their own and get killed.  The last thing I want is another incentive for players to go Lone Wolf (to use an Uncharted term) or opposing players to always target the highest ranked player on our team (to get the most bragworthy “trophy” – kind of like being the permanent marked man, if this was Uncharted).

Something like this might okay for some kind of tournament system but I would suggest that the only executions that count would be on players that are above you in rank and it would be a simple total – kill 3 players above you in rank and earn 3 points in the tournament.

Message 31 of 70 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
529 posts

Jul 22, 2013

CaptainProduce67 wrote:

@ MuddledMuppet...

You make several good points but the most important (for me) is that if these are limited to shiv kills, it has the potential to change the dynamic of the game.  I am one of those distance/support players so I doubt I would change my game for this but I would definitely resent it.

I play mostly with friends but when we have randoms, it’s astoundingly annoying when they go off on their own and get killed.  The last thing I want is another incentive for players to go Lone Wolf (to use an Uncharted term) or opposing players to always target the highest ranked player on our team (to get the most bragworthy “trophy” – kind of like being the permanent marked man, if this was Uncharted).

Something like this might okay for some kind of tournament system but I would suggest that the only executions that count would be on players that are above you in rank and it would be a simple total – kill 3 players above you in rank and earn 3 points in the tournament.

haha u reminded me of playing BF3 with a bunch of mates, i used to get really mad when they would change the way they play purely to go and collect tags, often making us lose a tank etc or fail in the objective. as long as they had their precious tags they were happy.

It TOTALLY effected their gameplay, and i have a feeling exactly the same would happen here. there's plenty of randoms who have no 'loyalty' to the team, and would see a collection of tags as being > a team win.

'Rock is OP, paper is fine as it is': Scissors

Click This! ---> Youtube
Don't click this! --> Blog
Message 32 of 70 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
7464 posts

Jul 22, 2013

Personally, and I hate to be a debbie downer here... I don't even really see the point. I mean I guess if you are a collectible junkie it would be something neat. I guess maybe it could foster some interesting rivalries to see who gets the most shiv kills and tags. If you have a rivalry you could see how many times you could shiv them vs. you getting shived by them.

On second thought... that sounds like a good community/personal challenge system. I take back my not seeing the point comment.  That could benefit the game in a way, of course some people will judge their game and play off of how many tags they collected and think the are "da best" but whatever that happens with anything.

This is not something I will personally care too much for, but it could make for interesting game dynamics. Plus if you actually had a list of whose tags you collected... it would neat to have all my frineds names and how many times I shived them somewhere. But that would mean it would have to be avaialbe to be kept track of for private matches since there is no real clan support *cough cough :smileywink:

Message 33 of 70 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
42 posts

Jul 23, 2013
It also would make players chose between saving those material for repeat melee upgrades and making shivs. Might even see less molotovs. Covert Bow users should use that free shiv they get on spawn more.
Stealth shiving only no smoke stunning. Some llayers could TRY and go lone wolf here simply for tags but having 3 guys gun you down repeatedly will most likely teach them it's not going to work. Plus randoms are... dumber than an acorn. And that's putting it gently. They would give up after failing a few times. Stealth Shiving is also much more complex then simply knifing like in battlefield, players would have to actually use strategy to earn their tags. Which would be refreshing to see more people realize 'when that guy is drawing their fire, i can sneak around behind them!'
Message 34 of 70 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
228 posts

Jul 23, 2013

Nah, it's gonna make the game unbalance once people start to do a lot of shiv kills to get bragging rights. And some rushers would shivved and then get killed right after that, repeat and rinse. They don't care about dying all they care is bragging rights and I would hate to have a teammate like this. ^^

photo 6063e192-edce-4bf4-be38-1f5c5d2df1b7.jpg
My Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/mrsjimmymare
Facebook - facebook.com/mrsjmare
Twitter - twitter.com/mrsjimmymare
Message 35 of 70 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
42 posts

Jul 23, 2013
That's why you add friends who aren't like that.:smileyhappy: The shiv is the most important tool in campaign. From opening doors to saving yourself from clickers to stealth kills. It's not justified in multiplayer. This is a stealth game and yet you never feel like there might be an enemy hiding in wait to shiv you. Because they don't. Add incentive to shiv and it feels more like the story. Shivs don't come close to the melee weapon upgrade as is. And shivs unbalanced? :s LAWL
Message 36 of 70 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
42 posts

Jul 23, 2013
Pro:
Pendants would keep the game from getting bland because there would be something that could completely change from match to match. It wouldn't get old because there is that change. New maps always bring fun for awhile but eventually they do get old and bland.
Another Pro:
Weeks survived could also have a greater purpose if the pendants change somewhat according to the 12 week cycles completed.
Message 37 of 70 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
42 posts

Jul 24, 2013
Just realized there's a Hunter Sign image for emblems. So Firefly Emblem and Hunter Sign for the pendants!
Message 38 of 70 (96 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jul 24, 2013

That actually sounds pretty cool.

Hip Hop is Good!
Message 39 of 70 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
42 posts

Jul 25, 2013
The majority of the people I've met online enjoy the idea. And I've yet to hear any truly valid excuse against a feature like this.
Message 40 of 70 (165 Views)
0 Likes