Uncharted Territory
1531 posts

Re: Should the Shotgun Cost 4 Loadout Points?

Dec 16, 2013
@CritRate: There's no reason for the machete to cost 4 points. It's not even close to being worth it, especially since, even within the category of melee weapons, it's not that great. People who get machetes for free out of boxes leave them ther in favor of the board. That's how terrible of a purchasable it is.
Message 31 of 52 (185 Views)
Sackboy
378 posts

Dec 16, 2013

^ It slices through ARMOR, not even the Military Sniper can do that. My only gripe with it is that it can't interrupt a modded 2x4, otherwise it would be the perfect weapon in the hands of a god CritRate.

Message 32 of 52 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1531 posts

Dec 16, 2013
Shivs do too. And the modded board, and unmodded board, and even bare hands. And, other than precision-based weapons, there aren't any weapons that have too much trouble with it.
Message 33 of 52 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
378 posts

Dec 16, 2013

Shiv is a completely different animal, it's not a weapon you face off with.

The key is the swing time. For a down you can do two slashes of a machete quicker than 2 swings of an unmodded 2x4 and 4 swings with "bare hands". Only issue is you can't land 2 machete swings before 1 upgraded 2x4 comes down on your head.

Message 34 of 52 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
464 posts

Dec 16, 2013

CritRate wrote:

^ It slices through ARMOR, not even the Military Sniper can do that. My only gripe with it is that it can't interrupt a modded 2x4, otherwise it would be the perfect weapon in the hands of a god CritRate.

Most weapons have no trouble with armour. Flamethrower breaks armour in half a second, shotgun in one shot etc.

My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/swiftydragon/videos - Last of us tips, and gameplay with commentary.
Message 35 of 52 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1531 posts

Dec 16, 2013
I used to think the machete was a lot faster than it actually is, but I managed to simutaneously down one with the board the other day as he downed me. Idr any of the other circumstances behind it, but I imagine he wasn't happy about it.
Message 36 of 52 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Keyblade Wielder
7074 posts

Dec 16, 2013

CritRate wrote:

Shiv is a completely different animal, it's not a weapon you face off with.

The key is the swing time. For a down you can do two slashes of a machete quicker than 2 swings of an unmodded 2x4 and 4 swings with "bare hands". Only issue is you can't land 2 machete swings before 1 upgraded 2x4 comes down on your head.

the dance shiv begs to differ, which ironically works best if the enemy is swinging a weapon such as the 2x4 or machete.

Oh, I'm just leaving. -Best Uncharted character ever
Message 37 of 52 (136 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 21, 2013

Almost forgot about this thread. 

Let's recap possible tweaks to purchasable weapons.

1. El Diablo - Ammo should be slightly more expensive. It is incredibly cheap considering how good this gun actually is. I think it should remain at 3 load out points though. 

2. Machete- In all honesty, the machete in it's current form, should cost 2 load out points. As it stands, the machete is really not that good of a weapon when compared to things like the free 2x4 people get. It also requires the person using it to equip Brawler 2 to get any real use out of it. Why ND decided to make it cost 4 load out points is mind boggling.

3. Military Sniper - I kind of like the idea of the MS costing 3 loadout points. 4 honestly seems excessive for this gun. The scope in time is pretty slow and ammo is really expensive. If your opponents are wearing armor, it drastically takes away the effectiveness of this weapon. While somebody can theoretically get 4 kills with one set of bullets, the chances of that actually happening are slim. 

4. Shotgun - Seems to be the best purchasable in the game. It is the only gun in the game that can 1 Hit Down an armored opponent. The Shotgun takes almost no skill to use, you pretty much just point and shoot in general direction of an enemy in CQC and you are guaranteed a down. Considering most combat in TLoU MP takes place in close to mid range, this is kind of important. 3 loadout points seems too cheap compared to how effective and easy it is to use when compared to the other purchasables. IMO 4 would make the game overall more balanced. 

5. Flamethrower- It's finally not a gimmick weapon anymore but, it is by no means OP. People using the flamethrower have to get really close to an enemy for it to be effective. How somebody can repeatedly die to this gun over and over is beyond me...It really is a niche weapon that excels in certain situations like CQC ,while performing just awful in pretty much every other situation possible. 

Message 38 of 52 (104 Views)
Fender Bender
3872 posts

Dec 21, 2013
Kudos cdub.
Message 39 of 52 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Dec 21, 2013

Have not tried El diablo.. can someone tell me how good it is? is it a mix of shotgun and sniper? how many shots does it take for downs?

Message 40 of 52 (75 Views)
0 Likes