Aug 19 2013
By: The_Funnybear First Son 4 posts

Supply/part rebalance suggestion

36 replies 256 views Edited Aug 19, 2013

So, I'm at week 10 in multiplayer, and I just had an awesome round. My team won 12-0 in supply raid, I had 5 downs and 7 executions, as well as a revive, some spottings, some crafting, and 0 deaths. I ended up having less supplies than I needed for my group, and two people died.

As it is now, the only way to have many survivors is by constantly getting downs that are revived, or reviving people constantly. Quite simply, mediocre, or rigged matches are the most rewarding.

Don't get me wrong, I love the multiplayer, I find it to be one of the most refreshing online multiplayers I've had in a long time, but it has to be rebalanced. Anyway, enough chatter, here are my suggestions for a more reasonable adjustment.

Step 1: Kills must count for much. My suggestion: Make a down only give 50 parts, but give 75 extra when that down gives a kill. This will mean that a down will not count for much if it does not become a kill. 

Step 2: reduce the parts for revives by 25 after every third one. Give it diminishing returns so that revive-spamming stops being one of the most part-giving methods of playing it. Same should be done for gifts. 

Step 3: account for extra lives at the end of supply raids. Quite simply, it should stand to reason that when you have won a round 10-0, you have free access to all the loot remaining unhindered by enemies. Rounds where one team dominates usually means one team gets mediocre amounts of supplies, and the other nearly none. It simply does not make sense.

Step 4: Rework the store prices and supply calculation to adjust to these changes. 

With these 4 steps, I believe the game will still retain its incredible teamwork, but have more predictable ranges of supplies possible to gather, as well as harder to exploit, and much more rewarding if one team simply owns a match. Right now, I got punished for winning a match by a clear margin, while the most even match I had gave me + 50 supplies in surplus, and I needed 58 for my group already. Right now, the players who wants to keep their group high in numbers have to worry about gaming the system more than just doing their best.

Message 1 of 37 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Re: Supply/part rebalance suggestion

Aug 19, 2013

I'd prefer a huge winning bonus instead.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 2 of 37 (250 Views)
I Only Post Everything
960 posts

Aug 20, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

Huge winning bonus will encourage players to not do ANY kills, but just gift and revive, etc at the end of day get the winning bonus. Encourage more players to rage quit when margin is too big. :smileyfrustrated:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Join or Support us!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheLastOfUsVideos

Visit my Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/mrsjimmymare
Facebook - www.facebook.com/mrsjmare
Twitter - www.twitter.com/mrsjimmymare

Message 3 of 37 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
343 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 20, 2013

The_Funnybear wrote:

So, I'm at week 10 in multiplayer, and I just had an awesome round. My team won 12-0 in supply raid, I had 5 downs and 7 executions, as well as a revive, some spottings, some crafting, and 0 deaths. I ended up having less supplies than I needed for my group, and two people died.

As it is now, the only way to have many survivors is by constantly getting downs that are revived, or reviving people constantly. Quite simply, mediocre, or rigged matches are the most rewarding.

Don't get me wrong, I love the multiplayer, I find it to be one of the most refreshing online multiplayers I've had in a long time, but it has to be rebalanced. Anyway, enough chatter, here are my suggestions for a more reasonable adjustment.

Step 1: Kills must count for much. My suggestion: Make a down only give 50 parts, but give 75 extra when that down gives a kill. This will mean that a down will not count for much if it does not become a kill. 

Step 2: reduce the parts for revives by 25 after every third one. Give it diminishing returns so that revive-spamming stops being one of the most part-giving methods of playing it. Same should be done for gifts. 

Step 3: account for extra lives at the end of supply raids. Quite simply, it should stand to reason that when you have won a round 10-0, you have free access to all the loot remaining unhindered by enemies. Rounds where one team dominates usually means one team gets mediocre amounts of supplies, and the other nearly none. It simply does not make sense.

Step 4: Rework the store prices and supply calculation to adjust to these changes. 

With these 4 steps, I believe the game will still retain its incredible teamwork, but have more predictable ranges of supplies possible to gather, as well as harder to exploit, and much more rewarding if one team simply owns a match. Right now, I got punished for winning a match by a clear margin, while the most even match I had gave me + 50 supplies in surplus, and I needed 58 for my group already. Right now, the players who wants to keep their group high in numbers have to worry about gaming the system more than just doing their best.

Sounds like a good round but the key to high parts totals lies in using Collecter 2, Gifting and healing.

For example: you got 5 downs (that's 500 parts) 7 executions (350 parts) revive (100 parts) spotting (say 150 parts) crafting (300 parts) add a bonus at the end (2000 parts) leaved you with 3400 parts. I'm guessing that's about how many you ended up with.

If you had collector 2 you'd add a further 700 parts and gifting would give you 500 extra. Heal a few guys on top and that's around 1500 on top of your initial 3400 = 4900 at least.

I ran with collector 2, crafter 3, EE1, revolver and SAR (:smileyembarrassed:) to unlock the skull mask and never got less than 4500 per match.

Message 4 of 37 (219 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
960 posts

Aug 20, 2013

Sounds like a good round but the key to high parts totals lies in using Collecter 2, Gifting and healing.

For example: you got 5 downs (that's 500 parts) 7 executions (350 parts) revive (100 parts) spotting (say 150 parts) crafting (300 parts) add a bonus at the end (2000 parts) leaved you with 3400 parts. I'm guessing that's about how many you ended up with.

If you had collector 2 you'd add a further 700 parts and gifting would give you 500 extra. Heal a few guys on top and that's around 1500 on top of your initial 3400 = 4900 at least.

I ran with collector 2, crafter 3, EE1, revolver and SAR (:smileyembarrassed:) to unlock the skull mask and never got less than 4500 per match.

That definitely works. Good math and I can see you're humble as well. :smileywink:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Join or Support us!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheLastOfUsVideos

Visit my Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/mrsjimmymare
Facebook - www.facebook.com/mrsjmare
Twitter - www.twitter.com/mrsjimmymare

Message 5 of 37 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
343 posts

Aug 20, 2013

mrsjimmymare wrote:

That definitely works. Good math and I can see you're humble as well. :smileywink:

Any excuse for me to mention I unlocked the skull mask last night :smileywink:

2013-08-19 22.38.29.jpg

Quite a feat for me as I'm not that good at the multiplayer. Probably the worst shot in the history of TLOU :smileyembarrassed:

Message 6 of 37 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
441 posts

Aug 20, 2013

mrsjimmymare wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

Huge winning bonus will encourage players to not do ANY kills, but just gift and revive, etc at the end of day get the winning bonus. Encourage more players to rage quit when margin is too big. :smileyfrustrated:

But the bonus would still apply to the winners. I don't know if the "host quits, everyone is out" issue is fixed or not (it didn't happen to me recently), but as long as the match is finished, you get your reward. Right now it really doesn't matter at all, if you are winning or losing.

In my last match, we won, I had about 5.000 parts, but there was a really good guy on the other team who ended with over 6.000 (and he deserved it), but my other teammates had 3.000 at best, so did his teammates even though they didn't do that much. (He had about 13 kills, 10 ex and only 2 deaths). 

GRAB
Message 7 of 37 (209 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Aug 20, 2013

mrsjimmymare wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

^ Not sure if serious... you need to kill the other team to win. :smileyfrustrated:

Right now, it's more beneficial to give kills to the other team, so that you will be rewarded by the welfare system.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 8 of 37 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Aug 20, 2013

I've said this numerous times.  Downs and kills need to be rewarded a lot more highly than they are.  As it is now simply killing enemies isn't a viable way to maintain a large population which is...just silly.  A down should definitely be worth more than a gift, or healing somebody by a couple ticks, and an execution should be worth AT LEAST as much as either of these.

Message 9 of 37 (185 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Aug 21, 2013

And then you'll complain about kill stealing.

Message 10 of 37 (172 Views)