Oct 18 2013
By: Bioshock I Only Post Everything 1105 posts

The Curse of 1.05 Part II: Electric Boogaloo

[ Edited ]
115 replies 26011 views Edited Oct 18, 2013

Once upon a...whatever, you all know the story of UC2 and what happened - and if you don't, you're too young to be playing this game. Luckily ND seems to have a new attitude towards feedback since the UC days, so here's my criticism of this prophetically numbered patch.

The slight change to when and where the 2x4 spawns has unbalanced a number of other mechanics. It seems small, but when a game is so perfectly balanced, even slight changes can disrupt that balance.

• Previously, having the 2x4 spawn in the 2 centre boxes (or the bottom box on dam) motivated teams to rush for the box (or better in the case of the dam as you had a strategic choice to make). Get a few kills before the box and you miss out on the 2x4. Fight or flee. Now you get it after a certain period of time no matter where you go or what you do, in patented Telltale's The Walking Dead style - make whatever choice you want, you'll end up in the same place as everyone else.

• The greater imbalance is that in lieu of a one-hit stick to craft, people can now put those bindings and blades to other, more nefarious uses. There's now an abundance of throwables in the game which I'm sure everyone has noticed. That's what happens when you take away a viable option because you think the game escalates too quickly otherwise...A board with nails in it that you had to get up close to use does not and did not escalate a match in a shooter more than having access to an array of explosives before the first encounter with the enemy does.

I was motivated to write this after I personally witnessed about 15 molotovs thrown at us by the enemy party throughout the match alongside the usual bombs and smoke bombs - which went down to the wire despite our sizeable lead at the start - and 6 of them during one sickening encounter. The enemy team were able to do this because of the welfare system and the fact that they were all running crafter 3, which, you know, good for them. I've seen teams use this to turn a weakness into somewhat of a strength and it's a viable tactic.

Having been in the situation described above only once tonight, I can't say if it was their crafter-induced momentum or a failure to patch the welfare system to the promised standard (supposedly once a team is dragged out of the mess they made for themselves, they stop getting handouts now), but I didn't see any shortage of throwables towards the end of the match.

The easiest solution isn't to now nerf crafter 3, it's to reverse the seemingly pointless changes - my whole night has been full of similar encounters, independent of crafter, but instead of me describing them, just imagine your worst experiences and multiply them across 15-20 matches.

Minor sidenote: With the brawler level flips, people will now run at your helpless person more frequently in a desperate attempt to get those brawler 1-backed punches in. Good luck if you have average aim, bullets are just as scarce as ever.

Now if you don't want to switch back the changes to the supply system (but you should), maybe a change to how molotovs work would be prudent.

• How about significantly reducing their frequency as giftable items - or a team-wide cap per match on how many can be gifted.
  • This one's really out there - making it so that the player has a limited time to throw them after crafting them. Suppose that instead of hoarding molotovs, a player has to craft one from cover and then throw it within 5 or so seconds or it's wasted in the backpack. Hold a lit one in your hand for too long and it goes off like a live grenade.
  • Maybe a lower item cap on how many can be stored (>>>ONE<<<). I just assume a player has more than the one glowing in their hand at this point.

Oh but none of that would fix the nail bomb problem. Rats. No, seriously, change it back. Much like UC2 1.04, this game was fine the way it was.

In other news, DLC maps are great. I disagree with Hometown's supply box placement. It seems both teams get 2 boxes all to themselves without opposition, but the rest is great. Don't know how I'd feel if I ran into a team that hid all around the Suburbs map like some toilet fetishists do in High School, but for now it's fine.

Message 1 of 116 (26,011 Views)
Limit Breaker
17666 posts

Re: The Curse of 1.05 Part II: Electric Boogaloo

Oct 18, 2013
Everyone ALWAYS had the option to eschew kill sticks in favor of molotovs.

[ 39 ] Every time a mine downs someone an Angel gets its wings.
Message 2 of 116 (26,006 Views)
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
4821 posts

Oct 18, 2013
Honestly I haven't noticed any difference from before and after when it comes to throwables. They were ridiculously popular before and they are after as well.
tlousig2
Message 3 of 116 (25,961 Views)
Naughty Paw
11911 posts

Oct 18, 2013
Bring back 1.00.60. That's all we need.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 4 of 116 (25,959 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1084 posts

Oct 18, 2013

I cant comment on the DLC maps bc I dont have it, but the throwables is ridiculous! I havent played the game in 2 months, and ppl complained about the amount of throwables then (which I personally didnt think was too bad), but it is far worse now.

Some of yall arent noticing the difference bc you took part in the gradual change, which makes it harder to notice. I, however, went from what the game was 2 months ago to what it is now. Molotovs all the dam time. 

Yes, that is annoying, but my main complaint is the terrible hit detection/lag compensation. Why is that still in the game?

Sick of gettin completely executed 20 feet from a molotov, and downed 2 seconds after rounding a corner where gettin shot is impossible.

photo c2360113-3b52-4c69-8e36-3bb37cb9501c_zps713c8462.png
Message 5 of 116 (25,916 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1084 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 18, 2013

scootgar wrote:
Everyone ALWAYS had the option to eschew kill sticks in favor of molotovs.

His point is now there is no option (sorta). You dont get a 2x4 in the beginning anymore (if stayed alive), so now you have nothing else to make but molotovs. Getting the 2x4 in the beginning split it up. Some ppl would make molotovs, some would modify the 2x4, but now everyone makes the molotovs (which also leads to extra nail bombs, bc they have extra nails/scissors to use for bombs now)

photo c2360113-3b52-4c69-8e36-3bb37cb9501c_zps713c8462.png
Message 6 of 116 (25,914 Views)
Splicer
69 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 18, 2013
I feel the. Same way.
Should really reverse the patch.
4x2 blance off and lessen ppl who craft molotovs, only work in a short distance, and can be shot down. But molotovs and nail bombs, you can't shoot them with guns. You cant fight back. You can't do anything but dodge. Or just camp and listen all the time. Not to mention all those bombs on the ground.

ONE MORE THING: ppl now lay bombs right where you respawn to get respawn kills . Freaking lame. I was executed several times just tonight right after I respawned. This is unbearable.

ONE MORE RHING: wayyyyyyyy many freezes when you play with friends in DLC. It happened to me there times tonight, and maybe 5 or 6 times to my friends. Can you imagine that? I am not exaggerating at all.
------------------------
Girls love video games.
Message 7 of 116 (25,904 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4129 posts

Oct 18, 2013
I thought he was gonna blame 1.05 for his 2 bars
Message 8 of 116 (25,894 Views)
Lombax Warrior
92 posts

Oct 18, 2013

Hurricanes of molotovs and tornados of nail bombs. Unfortunately, it's not irony Robot Indifferent

Gaming Beast
1872 posts

Oct 18, 2013

The projectile spamming of mollies and bombs in TLOU MP is ridiculous. This game was fine in the beginning but the nerfs have ruined it for me.

Message 10 of 116 (25,884 Views)
0 Likes